318 magazine hp

-

lightweight

Reaction score
Has anyone here built a nice hp 318 engine. You always read magazines that claim big numbers on the 318 I am just wondering if anyone has came close to these numbers with a teen. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the 318 I am just wondering if anyone has actually built one that has the hp these magazines claim to build without a large sum of money. I read alot of these forums from the past an someone asks the question, how do i get more hp out of my 318, and there are always several posts that give sites and magazines with 318 build ups done by differant magazines that built a 400 horse 318 without a bunch of machine work or exspensive parts. I was just wondering if anyone has done one of these builds. And if they did, did they come close to the magazine hp, or are they happy with what they got when they where done.

I've never copied a mag build. I've had my past 318's run in the 13's with similar cam and compression.

I sort of copied the magazine 400hp 318 where they usex the stock magnum heads.
I started with a 1986 roller 318 went .030 and KB167 pistons. Used a smaller cam than in the mag. I used a 222/228 hyd roller but i didnt use stock mag heads. I used EQ magnums with the 2.02 inlets. I gave them a clean up in the bowls, sort of just blended the seats into the runner and cleaned up the guide bosses. I used a M1 inlet manifold but i probs should have got air gap rpm. Had 9.5 compression.
This motor made 302hp at the tyres on a dyno dynamics.
So i am certain its around the 400hp mark and could get into the 12's

hope it helps some

Hey, L4, where did you get your cam for a pre-Magnum roller motor?

I sort of copied the magazine 400hp 318 where they usex the stock magnum heads.
I started with a 1986 roller 318 went .030 and KB167 pistons. Used a smaller cam than in the mag. I used a 222/228 hyd roller but i didnt use stock mag heads. I used EQ magnums with the 2.02 inlets. I gave them a clean up in the bowls, sort of just blended the seats into the runner and cleaned up the guide bosses. I used a M1 inlet manifold but i probs should have got air gap rpm. Had 9.5 compression.
This motor made 302hp at the tyres on a dyno dynamics.
So i am certain its around the 400hp mark and could get into the 12's

hope it helps some

Yes, do tell...

:burnout:

Any regular cam will slide in and work. IF you want to stay with a roller in the pre-Magnum block, just simply order any roller cam for a "LA" block and install.
Just beware that the distributor gear at the cam's end is mostly designed for a bronze intermediate shaft. You will either have to purchase a bronze shaft (gear) or order the cam for use with a standard intermediate shaft.

Ordering a roller for a Magnum will not have the long snout to provide for the fuel pump eccentric.
Ordering for the "LA" engine will have the provision.
Hughes engines has a kit to adapt a Magnum roller shaft for use in a "LA" engine using a mechanical fuel pump.

Yep as above.
I used one of hughes cams. I also have electric pump so no need for a pump eccentric. All their hyd rollers are based on magnums so no snout. Im not sure if they accomodate rocker oiling through the head with the holes in the cam journals. Hughes cams need a normal gear for the distributor.
Comp has a range of rollers specifically for fact. roller la motors. However they are all really small so a bit of a waste. They also have magnum specific cams but they too are small. The hyd roller retrofit for la's has an excellent range. All comps hyd rollers dont need a bronze gear either

I will let you know how it turns out, As I will be using the 318 build from popular hot rodding.

-
Back