318 to 360 swap screwed up big please help!!!

-
can anyone tell what type of k frame that is? i was told it was a slant six but i ordered some brackets from year one when i worked on the motor and they didnt look right at all.

well its a 68-72. look through here and take the measurements to find out if its a slant or a v-8 kframe..

k%20frame%201.jpg
K-%20frame%204.jpg

k-frame%205.jpg

I'm sure it is a V-8 K-frame since it didn't require the schumaker mounts for the 318. A test fit of the motor puts the mounting pads at the right distance, I didn't have the truck pan off yet, but it looked like the engine mounts might be slightly forward of the frame pads. Can't be sure till I put on the car pan though. I'm at work right now so I can't measure anything, but I'm pretty sure that the width of the space between the pads is right.
I was kinda thinking about just doing some cutting and welding if it ends up being close.

never seen anyone leave the radiator in one while pulling the motor lol i would pull it out so you dont damge it when putting the new motor in

Already Planning on it, I was in a mad scramble for time and thought my hoist would clear it, anyways.... Was there anything else as far as adapting the engine to fit?

Short story, (the long is sad, but with more detail) I have a new 727 for a 318 and I bought a 360 not knowing the torque converter differance. I have no money, wrecking yard converter?

So here's the tragic LONG story. I get back from my second tour in Iraq and decide to by my highschool dream car, a 1974 duster. I find a nice one with a 318 that claims to have everything done (rebuilt engine, transmission, rear end, wiring, ect...) I drive the car for 2 weeks and the tranny blows. Dropping the tranny, I had to pull the exhaust manifolds wich revealed cracked heads! I suck it up (my wife literally screaming the whole way) and buy a new preformance tranny/ Torque converter from Monster transmissions in Florida, and a set of ported 302 casting heads from a machine shop in Missouri. Thinking I've made the best of the situation, I fire her up, and the bottom end blows from the new found compression. (the wife's screaming again) Now, extremely broke, I listen to friends who say "just put in a 360" and head to the local wrecking yard with the very last of the money I don't have and buy a low mile 1974 360 out of a dodge motorhome. The motor looks decent. I get it home and the compression feels good, the oil looks great, the plugs are good, pulled the valve covers and the valve train looks new.
Just as I lower the new mill in I discover my new tradegy!!!
It's not a straight swap!!!!! A quick search of the net tells me that I need to go back to the wrecking yards and get the motor mounts, no big deal.BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TORQUE CONVERTER!!!!!
I am offically LESS than broke! I do have some trading stock for the wrecking yard. Do I try and trade for a 360 torque converter, clean it real good and hope it doesn't send junk particles into my new trans, or ?????

Please help!
buy a new one, never put a used torque converter in if you can help it, hears my number 336 434 2550 call before 2.00 anytime i believe i can get a new one cheap from my friends at the trans shop

I already got the balanced flex plate so I could use my warrantied torque converter. I think it was on the first or second page. Currently I'm waiting on an oil pan and wondering if I'm gonna need my torch to make my mounts fit.

I can't remember if the 70s small block driver's side manifold had a rear dump or center like shown on the 360 engine. If it's a rear exit, then that center dump manifold on the 360 won't work.

Just swap your 318 driver's rear dump manifold to the 360 and everything should hook up OK.

Stop, and calm down; take deep breathes. The mounts (bisquit) only need a spacer. You need center sump, with pick-up. Relax.
You understand internal balance vs external. (your balancer shows you).
Does your balancer have big counter-weight, and have stamped on it (you have to pull the pulley off) cast?
We need to really know what crank is in it.

Wait a minute, at the begining of this post I was told to just order the B&M balanced flex plate, and I did. I knew about the pick up issue and as stated a couple of pages ago, took care of it. And no, I'm not going to have two differant manifolds with differant runner sizes on my engine, if it comes down to it and I can't make the 360 ones work or crap out some headers, then I'll use both 318 manifolds so both sides are eaqually choked down. This post is almost 2 weeks old now. As far as the mounts, I wasn't going to go blindly cutting, I'm doing another test fit tomorrow. Please read the whole post and THEN if after reading the WHOLE thing there is something else that it looks like I might have missed, please let me know.

no need to get pissy theese guys are just trying to help, we all understand that it is stressfull figuring things out like this

By the way. If your "warrantied" TC has been ran in another trans that was destroyed. You dont wanna run it. Its all the particulate matter inside that will jack up the new trans. You may be able to get another TC under warranty but can you get another trans is the question.
I took a gamble and did it, but only after I had a tranny shop flush it for half the day!

what? The torque converter and tranny came together, from monster transmission, page 1. Never been in anything else, the transmission that came with the car is the one that blew, way back in december. The new transmission from monster has been GREAT, and has not, nor will it be seperated from the torque converter. The question posted at the begining of this post was before I knew that I was going to be able to afford to do things the right way and get the Balanced flex plate. I talked it over with my wife the same morning I started this thread and we decided to use a credit card. The B&M balanced flexplate was purchased the same day this thread was started. The a new pick up has already been installed, and the 360 center sump oil pan showed up today,. The Only thing left to question is the mounts, and I'm going to do another test fit tomorrow to see what if any modifications I'll need to make. From the last test fit, it looks like everythings gonna work just fine. As far as headers, yeah, that's the plan, but I was going to see if I could make the manifolds work first and wait till next pay day to do them. I thought I still had an old set of headmans in the barn, but my wife reminded me that they went along with a 318, stand and a set of schumaker s6 to 318 mounts that I sold a couple years ago.
As of now, I think I'm ok.

I am also doing a 318 to 360 swap.I am not sure what trans this is,can anyone tell from the pic and tell me what B&M flexplate to order to make this 360 balance out. Thanks,EddieWell I cant get the pic on here but the trans is rectangular with one angle corner.I can email you a pic but i cant seem to get it to upload on here.

Sounds like you have a 904. The 727 has a little dog leg on one side toward the front of the pan. The B&M flexplate you need should be 10239.

Sounds like you have a 904. The 727 has a little dog leg on one side toward the front of the pan. The B&M flexplate you need should be 10239.
Thats what I was thinking so I went ahead and ordered the flexplate for the 904-360.Thanks for the info. MOPAR FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

-
Back