318 Torque cam

-

73tartdart

Reaction score
Seems like you guys are familiar with the 318 so... I've got an 87 318w/302 heads. the engine will be re-ringed, new bearings and gaskets for financial sake. Would like a 4 barrell carb/intake cam combo that would really focus on torque. I don't care about winding this thing out!!! Engine is temporary4-6yrs till 360 is used. Going into 73 dart sport being restored. Any ideas?

With Mopar cams you don't have to modify the heads. ;)

The 2nd cam is the one I am using in my 318,
with an Edlebrock LD4B intake, and # 302 heads,
along with an Edlebrock # 1406 carb.
(600 cfm electric choke)
Stock 2.93 rear gears. :)

Mopar Performance P4452757

Brand: Mopar Performance
Product Line: Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft Kits
Part Type: Camshaft and Lifter Kits
Part Number: DCC-4452757
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,000-5,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 211
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 211 int./218 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 248
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 256
Advertised Duration: 248 int./256 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.410 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.425 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.410 int./0.425 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Mopar Performance P4452759

Brand: Mopar Performance
Product Line: Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft Kits
Part Number: DCC-4452759
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 221 int./228 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 260
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 268
Advertised Duration: 260 int./268 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.430 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.450 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.430 int./0.450 exh. lift

Go with a comp xtreame cam 268 in duration. add a preformer and go. You will also need the 901 springs.

Thats not really a Torque cam, for low RPM.......

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,800

Brand: COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits
Part Number: CCA-CL20-223-3
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./230 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 268
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 280
Advertised Duration: 268 int./280 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.477 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.480 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.477 int./0.480 exh. lift
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Grind Number: CRS XE268H-10

I would go with a comp XE cam.The technology on these cams compared to the old Mopar purple shaft is like night and day.
The XE268 might be a little much,maybe go for the XE256 or XE262.
The best thing to do is call Comp Cam tech line and tell them your set-up,and let them pick the correct cam.

For intake,the Edelbrock performer would be hard to beat.
Carb,Edelbrock 650 vacuum sec would work very nice.
This combo will give you a very fun,streetable car !!!

Here is a pic of a 318 I had.
Stock 1970 block/cam
Edelbrock performer
Edelbrock 650
340 manifolds
2.50" Dual exhaust H-pipe
Mopar performance ignition
This set-up would roast the tires.
Could only imagine your 302 heads and a Comp XE cam.:tonqe:

Picture 498.jpg

Thanks guys for all the good info. My rear gear is in the high 2s. I just want a little more power while retaining durability. These cams are promising!!!

I would agree with a Comp XE256 or 262.

They would have good low end torque for the gears you have. The XE268 "still" has good low end torque, but revs higher than the other two. It will lope as well. Works good in my Dusters 318 and works best with 3.21a or lower (numerically higher). It would do better with a slightly higher stall converter, if one could be had.

Mine has stock 318 heads with a little work done to them and stock compression, but would work a little better with your 302 heads, with smaller and closed chambers. If you are not using headers though, stick with the XE262 or 256, as it may be atad softer with the 268 if manifolds are used, mainly below 1,500 rpm.

No matter what, go no higher than the XE268 in a stock compression 318, as any more will diminish cylinder pressure. The lift at .050 on the 268 is .470/.480.

He he he, thats funny.

I'd stay away from the 110 c-lined cams for idle quailty and more cylinder pressure since the 110 and narrower is designed to bleed of the compresion.
The Crane is on a 112 and stock cams go from 114 - 116 on the sb Mopars. They get wider in other car company's engines.

He he he, thats funny.

I'd stay away from the 110 c-lined cams for idle quailty and more cylinder pressure since the 110 and narrower is designed to bleed of the compresion.
The Crane is on a 112 and stock cams go from 114 - 116 on the sb Mopars. They get wider in other car company's engines.

I'm just curious what is the reason to grind a cam that would bleed off compression?

The more compression the more horsepower/torque so why would that be done?

The cam I've got in my 273 would work good I believe. It is a Summit cam (I've been told that Crane grinds their cams) part #SUM-6901. Cost $100 with lifters.

Intake lift .441
Exhaust lift .441
Duration at .050 is 218
RPM range 2000-45000
Lobe Separation 114 <--- notice this

I don't know why they have the starting RPM at 2000 because it seems that it is in before 2000.

I've always been intrigued by Hughes cams. They have low duration with high lift cams. I've always wanted to run one of those.

needsaresto; Crower makes excellent products.

mullinax95, performance cams are used with higher compresion ratios for more power, true, but at the low engine speeds, the cam timing events bleed off the pressure while at higher speeds, it is set up to take advantage of the higher air and fuel speeds. At the higher engine speeds, theres a ramming effect going on. This is why you find there performance has a top end pop to them.

The more aggresive the cams profile and ground on a narrower centerline, the more so it lends itself to better performance with single planes and tunnel rams.

The huges cams are really nice in there specs. If these cams don't wake up your ride, ........

Huges also uses a 110 or narrower C-line. But also pay attention to what they say to do with there cams and how to go about the rest of the build with there cams.

There cams are agressive in there duration @ .050 and lift. These cams are excellent in carb cars looking to run hard.

Go to Crane cams (.com it) and look at how they suggest to couple up parts and the combo. They have a broader range. Comp. ratios vary widely. There split duration cams have a larger split. (For easy use with stock heads and lower Comp ratio's.) And are ground on 112.

If you read FAQ on Hughes site-I believe thats where is at-it will say they no long recommend using Mopar rocker arms, even the cast iron adjustable. Their cams lift so fast it needs a roller rocker arm.

My 2 cents of thinking is those are great cams on the drag strip or a weekend ride. For a daily ride that gets 10,000 miles a year or more, those cams will not last more than 2 years and thats with running a high zinc oil.

Hughes also recommends using their zinc additive or a race only oil. Sure thats a good idea with every flat tapper cam but with a Hughes cam, I would think its a must.

The old Mopar 340 cam had only .420 lift and 210 duration @ .050 and .444 lift and 220 duration for the exhaust. Thats very wimpy but it last a very long time.

Most cams today are in between a old 340 cam and the Hughes cams. Thats what I would go with unless its a low mileage motor or you like changing cams.

"Huges also uses a 110 or narrower C-line. But also pay attention to what they say to do with there cams and how to go about the rest of the build with there cams."

Yeah I have noticed that. Their smallest cam recommends a cylinder pressure of 145 psi.

Dont read much into that. I was thinking two things at once and somehow both got combined. I really meant to just post the lift.:toothy10:

As one that's usually trying to process too many things at once, I figured as much. I just couldn't resist the urge to don the pedantic math dork hat and give you some static. :joker:

-
Back