340, 360, or 400?

-

superjarheadt

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a newbie here on the site and just looking to get an opinion on my engine choice. I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster that currently has a 1971 truck 360 in it. I have a 1969 340 and an early 70's 400 in my garage that both need rebuilt. My question is what would you guys do? Rebuild the 340 or 400 or just keep the 360 and do some mods to it? BTW I'm looking to make around 450 streetable hp.

How much money do you have to spend? What are some of your goals for the car, ie, good handling, straight line burnouts? Give a little more info on what you're thinking.

Welcome aboard.

Nevermind what would we do, what sounds great to you?

Also, a engine is an engine be it from a car or truck, It doesn't matter unless it is a HI-PO spec engine like a 6pac.

Oh, it is also easier to make more power with a bigger engine to start with. The bigger the engine, the easier the HP goal and more streetable it will be. Also more torque.

LOL, I love your thinking, but stroker and budget do not go hand and hand. For the price of pistons and a balance job, he could do the 400 and make a great screamer while saving much money.

I'm just looking for a good strong running street car for occasional cruising or maybe hit the dragstrip just for fun. I'm just trying to get some ideas. I'm not sure of the work involved to stick a big block in an Duster. I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like a reliable engine.

I would build up the 360, that 340 is worthless and I will be happy to get rid of it for you! :-D

ditch them all in my garage and go get yourself a 604 street Hemi. It's the only way you will be happy.....

How much do you want to spend?

You have to give us some kind of budget to stay under here.

Well,I am kinda in the same boat so my thoughts were,I would stick with the 360...Mainly because if you trash the motor or something goes bang on it...Lots of parts readily available..And you already have it in.Not that hard to make a good street/strip 360.IMO

Budget is $2000-$3000. Sorry but Im not selling anything. I'm a third generation mopar man so all parts are staying in the family. As far as trans for the big block, I have a 727 and a 4 speed so I'm good there. Anyone know the weights of all the motors?

Yes, keep the 340 its the best production small block available then and now.
Also, there are still alot of parts available as well as the interchangeability of most parts.

No matter what engine your going to do, a stout short block is the first order of biz. Everything else can wait. Have a good foundation first.

LOL, I love your thinking, but stroker and budget do not go hand and hand. For the price of pistons and a balance job, he could do the 400 and make a great screamer while saving much money.

I disagree. A stroker can be built for a few hundred more then a stock stroke rebuild. Only difference in price will be buying the crank. Everything else will cost the same.

I have another question. Could I just buy a 4'' stroker crank and install it with my factory pstons and connecting rods?

No, you will need the correct pistons.

But pistons for a 4" crank are going to cost the same as pistons for a 3.58" stroke. You can reuse the stock rods if you want but after market rods will cost about the same as redoing the stock parts.

Balancing, machining, cam intakes and carbs will all cost the same as a stock stroke engine build.

Only real difference in going to be cylinder heads. a 4" stroker will want more air flow then a stock stroke.

I cannot believe look in the magazine for stroker prices and believe they are set in stone. If you shop around you can find deals on strokers . Start on ebay. I race with a lot of people that run strokers and most of them run cast cranks . The cranks are lighter and rev faster. Sure if you are turning 9000 rpm a 4340 crank is good insurance but imho if yuo can't outrun somebody by 6 grand you are gonna lose anyway. there are a lot of strokers runnin J heads also and they are fast. If you price turning the crank,arp rod bolts,recon your rods and pistons a stroker kit isn't much more.

Stick with the 360. You can accomplish what you want with it and it won't cost a fortune. Most bang-for-the-buck.

A 340 is great - that's what I have. The 340 has a forged crank, forged pistons, floating pins, bushed rods, lots of nice stuff. Building the 340 would also be an option because it should bolt in place of the 360 pretty easily. I just had mine built by a race engine shop. Makes 460HP and 460 lb-ft of torque.

The 400 would be a good option if you have a little bigger budget and don't mind the extra work. To see what's involved, read the tech articles at http://www.bigblockdart.com If you're not planning to stroke the 400, I would stay with the 360 though. You're looking at a lot of time and expense for that extra 40 cubic inches.

My 416 pistons cost over $500.00..the pistons for my stock stroke 360 cost $270.00,,there certainly is a difference in price...

Build the 360 stroke it to 408 . consontrate on the bottom end then as funds allow upgrade the heads and exhust .

I like Big blocks but your on a bugit

-
Back