hi guys,

all have a 340 engine out off 72

will put it in my 69 dart 4speed 3.23 posi;
its a street car wath to do to rebuild it,
bought some kb flatheads 0.30 over,
have J heads 1.88
what next ?

thank you frank

What ever you want out of it..Just make sure you pay to have it intermnally balanced. Then you can use any flywheel...

If you just want a fun street car, just making sure things are solid on the motor (good bolts, balanced crank, ect) - you most likely will be happy with a stardard Eddy intake and carb. Hard for anybody to recommend a cam without knowing how radiatical you want the engine.

Other things you can do is open up the valves to 2.02 (x head size) and do some polishing and blending of the bowls. You might not need this, but it will increase the value of the heads/motor/car a bit - most people tend to like to hear that the 340 has the larger valves.

IMO, unless you really want to squeeze every bit of HP, I would stick with 340 manifolds.

What next? Time to drive it, sounds like a fun fun car. Yeah those 3.23 are not the greatest-3.55 would be better but that Dart is so light it still fly I would bet.

Give us some indication of what performance and drivability you want?
How many miles per yr do you expect to drive?
Any strip racing tp be involved? (not that there is any other kind!!)

its more a hobby and summer car to drive to a meeting;
so not that many miles gas is to expensive in belgium 1.75 a litter.

the strip is closed ad the moment.(netherlands)

we have a few events in germany and england.

no strip in belgium.

its more that i can take subaru off other jap **** ,
german **** ad the traffic lights :lol:

grtz frank

franky2mopar said:
its more that i can take subaru off other jap **** ,
german **** ad the traffic lights :lol:

grtz frank

Hey Frank. Do you want to be faster than the other cars.
The 3.23's are fine for most applictaions of a car to drive anywhere at anytime. The 3.55's are OK as well, but prefur a 3.23 for going far.

IMO, I'd leave the 1.88 valves. The 2.02's do not show well until later in the RPM band.
What other parts do you have for your cars engine?

Heh Franky, I've been in your neck of the woods and I would keep the 3.23 gears especially for driving on the Autobaun. By the way I've always said that a man has got to do 2 things before he dies and one of them is going 240 km/hr on the autobaun. You can all guess what the other "one" is. :burnout:

240 km Well I hope you are upgrading your brakes, theres all type of nice kits to pick from. You got $1300 for a set of heads, you should have another $800 for better brakes. Buy the best tires you can get too. Might want to get a spoiler in back and I would throw 100 lbs of weight in the trunk. Do what I did--subwoofers and amps--I can hear my stereo just fine at high speeds, well not at 240km but I think I would still hear it at that speed. Its great, I hear nothing but music if its loud enough and the car shakes at the stop lights :glasses7:

I wanna live till Im 99-no make that 109 and I wanna still be gear jaming down the road in a 50+year old car when I am 88. Yeah, hey I am in my 40's so Im half way there.

franky2mopar said:
i just bought today edelbrock heads 63 cc

i have a mopar performance 508 cam

manifold edelbrock 2176

and a 650 carb

gr.frank
Get rid of the intake and get rid of the cam and get the RPM intake and a smaller cam. That MP .509 is a stout cam that will not make a dab of decent power until 3000 RPM. Been there done that.
The Performer intake is restrictive to the engine unless you use a small cam. It is barley better than a stock 4bbl. in terms of power output. Combo of engine dependent.
Cam selection is, hummmm fickle I siad before and again. Look at something like this with 1.6 adjustable rockers for max bennifit from the heads.
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11559&eTypeID=1 Or the next smaller one. http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11724&eTypeID=1
The Edelbrock heads, as listed by Edelbrock flow well, much like a good head prep and bowl porting of a iron head.

The 650 is an AVS "Thunder" model from Edelbrock. This carb should work very well with the stated intended build up.

Been to 155 MPH once and never again. I did it when I was young. Now that I'm 40 with kids..........

With those heads you can run a smaller cam, I look for something around [email protected]. The RPM is a great intake but if you want something different look at Offenhauser, I have the high rise equal flow single plane which has a divider for low speeds and its good to 6500 rpm. I had a performer before that and my idle is better now that before with a dual plane, its a real good single plane intake for the street. I have a Holley 750 dp so I should know if its good on the street. The newer torker and other single planes are for racing. Hey if you are in Germary get a German intake!

-
Back