340 manifolds in a 66 cuda?

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
Putting a 360 in my cuda need to know if 340 manifolds will work? It is a powersteering car.

I have been told they will & they won't (no idea at all about the PS). I have some pics of a 66 with early 340 (the expensive ones) manifolds on it. They're in there. One of the members here said that he had a set on an early A but that he could only fit small pipes up to them because of tight clearances (maybe 2 1/4"? I can't remember for sure). I have a set & maybe I'll get off my a$$ & try them in there one day but I've been going nowhere fast lately.

I am going to be using 92 Dakota mainfolds, they will fit the early A-body and flow better than the 340 mainfolds....

IMG00054-20100829-1832.jpg

i ran 73 340 manifolds for years -- no power steering though.

Try getting that 340 dumpout on the drivers side to clear the steering shaft!!! Thats why the original manifold had that choked down radius to go around it!! Not saying it won't work, but it's not worth the effort if you have to choke it down with small pipes just to clear the shaft. Might as well run the original and hog out the inlet to match the larger port of the 360. I've seen that done before!!! Good luck, Geof

I am going to be using 92 Dakota mainfolds, they will fit the early A-body and flow better than the 340 mainfolds....

I know this is a response to an old post, but i thought I would give you a try on information regarding a 340 engine swap into a 65 Dodge Dart. I have a 340 going into my 65 Dart, but i understand there are some issues regarding steering shaft clearance using the post 1971 340 driver side manifold. Did your 92 Dakota manifold work out for you, and do you know the casting numbers on them if they did? Also, did you have power steering in your car? I would sure like to keep the power steering if I can. Whatever help/advice you can offer would be great as this is my first engine swap into an early a. Thanks, Jerry, (Old Dart 66)

IMG00054-20100829-1832.jpg

my 65 340 had 340 logs. had manual steering. PS is out of the question. Look into Dak logs. someone post a Dakota log install pic for steering and passenger side dump location.

Thanks pishta and Toolman, Looks like it is getting narrowed down a might. Manual steering appears to be the answer. Any other input from other members would be great. Thanks, Old Dart 66, Jerry

my 65 340 had 340 logs. had manual steering. PS is out of the question. Look into Dak logs. someone post a Dakota log install pic for steering and passenger side dump location.
Thanks. Old Dart 66

Auto or stick? Pretty sure the mag manifolds dump directly on the z bar.

Hey Dana, Going to put a 904 behind the 340 with a revised floor shifter in this 65 Dart. Another member helped me with the cable shift to mechanical linkage on that problem, but one thing leads to the next...I guess. Any further help on this manifold issue will be great. Just looked up what a z bar is, appears it deals with a manual transmission...correct? Always had autos...learned something today. Thanks. Jerry

Thanks Toolman, Looks like I will be heading to Dean's Auto to check on some Durango manifolds. Appreciate your time in looking up and tracking down this thread. We have talked before? I think you commented that you spend some time over here at the Lakes? I will PM you my phone #, and if you get by this way, I'd like to show you what I have going on with these early a projects. Thanks, Jerry

Thanks Toolman, Looks like I will be heading to Dean's Auto to check on some Durango manifolds. Appreciate your time in looking up and tracking down this thread. We have talked before? I think you commented that you spend some time over here at the Lakes? I will PM you my phone #, and if you get by this way, I'd like to show you what I have going on with these early a projects. Thanks, Jerry
Will do Jerry. I can't remember what part of the state you are from.

-
Back