340 Exhaust Manifolds on Early A-Body??

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
Hello again...

I see 340 HP exhaust manifolds for sale on here frequently and am wondering if they will fit my early A-Body. I know that the original 273 exhaust manifolds are low flow, so would like to upgrade.

I have a 66 Barracuda 273 with manual everything (brakes, steering, transmission).

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
66 Cuda-S

manifolds from a 98-00 Durango should work. Idk how much flow they have or whether they will fit, but they are another option.

340 logs fit, The Hi-po ones. I had them on my first 340 '65, BUT I remembered running the skinny 67 biscuit engine mounts on that car, stock 65 fatties may change things. I think the driver side had to be ground a tad to clear the steering box, but it was just a touch with a die grinder. The Magnum manifolds flow better, Ill have to look into the Durango's. YOull need a 90 oil adapter with the 340's or run a very short oil filter. I used a relocation kit as I couldnt get the filter down there to change and if I did, I spilled a quart of oil on the ground trying to screw it on/off. Someone suggested Magnum Dakota headers but they look like they would interfer with the steering coupler, but that was about it, unique design for sure.

I had them on a 64 Barracuda with a 340. Its tight but it fit fine with manual steering and brakes. Unless you already have a set, I would go for magnum manifolds if they flow better because I would also assume they are not nearly as expensive.

Not the best picture but you get the idea...

CIMG1874.jpg

I did a mock-up of that a few years ago and found that they will fit if:
1. You're willing to make custom pipes
2. You're willing to flatten one "bump" in the passenger side inner fender
3. You'd have to use all bolts to mount the manifold on the passenger side or bolt them to the heads and then install the assembly onto the block once it's in the chassis. There just isn't quite enough room to slide them over the end studs with the heads on the block. You might be able to unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up to do it.....I didn't try that at the time. I only tried this on a '66 Barracuda manual brake/manual steering car and I doubt it will work on a power car.

manifolds from a 98-00 Durango should work. Idk how much flow they have or whether they will fit, but they are another option.

Stock Durango year 1998-2000 will fit early A-Body?
What about the stainless steel ones I have seen on E-Bay similar to shorty headers?

Stock Durango year 1998-2000 will fit early A-Body?
What about the stainless steel ones I have seen on E-Bay similar to shorty headers?

I would be interested also, if the Durango exhaust fits. Anyone got pics of this modification?

I have a set of the 340 manifolds that I paid quite a lot for. I never could get them to install correctly on my '65 Barracuda. I had the engine on a lift with nothing else in the bay and I could never see how to get the driver's side to fit - mainly I think because the power steering gear was right in the way. Even if I had used a grinder to grind out notches the output of the collector still sat at such an angle that I would never be able to get the exhaust pipe connected. Maybe it works with manual steering setups.

The link to the durango manifold install on an early a doesnt seem to be working. It even had pictures...ill keep looking

I used my logs on a manual box car. The huge power steering box really gets in the way of everything , especially the fitting on top.

Forget 340 logs, that is expensive old school resto stuff. You want these, and if you can find them in 2 1/8 ID (older ones, these are 1 7/8 ID) your in like flynn...never ran them myself but I hear they outflow 340's in the 2 1/8 form from Ehrenberg himself.

xmanifolds.JPG

Forget 340 logs, that is expensive old school resto stuff. You want these, and if you can find them in 2 1/8 ID (older ones, these are 1 7/8 ID) your in like flynn...never ran them myself but I hear they outflow 340's in the 2 1/8 form from Ehrenberg himself.

What are these from?

7618_103905446289984_100000115862640_110505_2214123_n.jpg
7618_103905439623318_100000115862640_110503_5262805_n.jpg

here are the Durango manifolds on my 360. If anyone wants better pictures I can have them up here in a couple days.

WOW!!!
That is great!
What year Durango manifolds and did you have to make any changes to make them fit?
Thanks!

7618_103905446289984_100000115862640_110505_2214123_n.jpg
7618_103905439623318_100000115862640_110503_5262805_n.jpg

here are the Durango manifolds on my 360. If anyone wants better pictures I can have them up here in a couple days.

Beautiful! How was the install on the drivers side? What year was the donor Durango or does it make a diff? This really helps:toothy10: My e-bay 273 manifold ended up having a busted ear.

What is the diff between Durango and Dakota? Th Early Dakota (1st 2 years I believe) are the larger ones. Dont know about Durango but fitment looks straight forward with an obvious custom downpipe or doner from same Durango. nice! Has to be better than the 65 driver cast crushed tube design.

If you have not done perfromance work to 273 flowing more with exhaust may have negative results for performance. If the car is original why mess with it? If not I would put in a 318 and make it go better as I have in my 65 formula s, I also did that in a 66 cuda that with some work ran 14.0 at track. stock lower end , mild cam, new lifters and pocket ported heads with stock 318 exahust (dual)...put out about 300-320 hp and was lots of fun. Blew up small rear and custom made new 8 3/4 for strip was then going to make motor go more but an old man ran into it. I wish I kept the rear to put in my current 65....

Blah, sorry. They are 98-03 Durango manifolds. I got them from a junkyard for $40 total, I think, I'll have to clarify that with my dad. They are from the 5.9 Magnum as I have a 5.9 LA/360. They both fit, however, you'll have to really shim the drivers side to keep the end from rubbing/clunking on the steering linkage and preventing you from even steering the car. You will also need a custom bend in your exhaust to clear both the linkage and starter. I have no idea if this will still work with the clutch if I put in a manual transmission. Other than that, it's basically a bolt on exhaust manifold that you have to drop straight in, otherwise you will scratch the paint on the shock towers like we did.

-
Back