340 Exhaust Manifolds on Early A-Body??

-
Hey!
Thanks for getting back to us and not forgetting.....
How much did you have to shim the drivers side and how did you do that? Are there any other options other than shimming to get clearance so you don't wreck your ride?

We just put about 5 big washers under the motor mount (about 7/16 of a inch lift), but it may vary, and as far as I know there aren't any other ways other than shimming unless you can do a little grinding to keep it from rubbing.

okay, sounds good. Do you think a solid motor mount on that side would do it?
How much clearance do you have now? any close up pics of it?

Here's a few more pictures. The exhaust pipe comes down from the drivers side and sort of does a little C around the starter, that's why I took a picture from the bottom so you can see it better. Passenger side isn't the problem, you get great clearance except from the side, but you don't need clearance there, you need clearance on the steering linkage, of which we also have hardly any. Anymore of a specific spot and I'll try to get them soon.

IMG_3263[1].jpg

IMG_3264[1].jpg

IMG_3265[1].jpg

IMG_3266[1].jpg

IMG_3267[1].jpg

Wow, that is good news!! Thanks for all your troubles, I really appreciate it. So to recap what it takes to make this work.
1) 98-2003 Durango manifolds
2) raise the drivers side approx. 1/2"
Too easy, LOL
I would guess that the Durango manifolds flow much better than the old restrictive 273's

Those running a different steering coupler (solid unit) probably wont need to raise the motor mount...
I wonder if a shop could mill these manifolds a little, a few mm, which might help too?

We just put about 5 big washers under the motor mount (about 7/16 of a inch lift), but it may vary, and as far as I know there aren't any other ways other than shimming unless you can do a little grinding to keep it from rubbing.
Are you are using the '67-up motor mount insulators. If so, they are thinner than the correct '64-6 ones so maybe there is not much shimming needed? It looks like you could use some new ones anyway! :). Judging by your column, it looks like the LH manifold would burn all the rubber boots/seals off the column.

Are you are using the '67-up motor mount insulators. If so, they are thinner than the correct '64-6 ones so maybe there is not much shimming needed? It looks like you could use some new ones anyway! :). Judging by your column, it looks like the LH manifold would burn all the rubber boots/seals off the column.

1. It did...

2. I'm using Shumacher motor mounts for a \6 to small block conversion.

Probabally easier too with the ministarter from the same Dakota/Durango.

Actually I just reused the starter that was on the \6, then when the tab on top broke for some reason, just got a new one from Carquest.

That's actually what the last 2 pictures were for. My exhaust guy had to make a really weird cut/bend to get around the starter, but it worked.

Now I'm really interested...... It looks like the mini starter would help out a bit and I wonder if the column outer shell is a little shorter (closer to the firewall) on a manual or floor shifter column? If not it wouldn't be that hard at all to remove a half inch or so out of the column near the end to move the seal up away from the heat. If they flow fairly well I would love to pull out these damn tti's.

This is cool. I bet these will fit the 67-76 cars almost bolt in.

what issues are there with the TTI's?

I like having the look and added power from the headers but honestly these things are in the way of just about everything you try and do. The combination of a cramped engine bay and trying to fit good flowing larger tube full length header just doesn't work so well. The steering shaft has to go through the tubes, the torsion bars have too also, the steering centerlink and inner tie-rods run very close, the drivers back header bolts are a pain to get at, unless you run a remote filter your gonna dump oil on the tubes every oil change, and the list goes on and on. I guess it all depends on what you want and your application but for me I love the old cars for the simplicity. And of course the sound and power of an old V8 LOL! As long I could get decent flow from a manifold that would fit good in my car I would gladdly sell my TTI's.

Soooooo???? Would these work with an original 273, power steering and Power brakes?

the durango exhaust manifolds I mean,,,,,

Aloha Mike

I had Doug's Headers on my '65 360 Valiant and I gotta say those were some of the best fitting headers I've ever owned.

i have wondered if the magnum manifolds would fit a early A for a long time,,,

the steering column issue is easy to fix,, shorten the outer housing,by sectioning it to reuse the factory end seal,,,or just shorten it and find a bearing that fits the outer column and the shaft weld it to the end and all id well,, i used a torsion bar boot on the end of my column to dress it up a little,,

Oh and just FYI, I did a little research on these mannyfolds. The Durango, Dakota and Ram from the same years all have the same mannyfolds. More to choose from.

Here's a few more pictures. The exhaust pipe comes down from the drivers side and sort of does a little C around the starter, that's why I took a picture from the bottom so you can see it better. Passenger side isn't the problem, you get great clearance except from the side, but you don't need clearance there, you need clearance on the steering linkage, of which we also have hardly any. Anymore of a specific spot and I'll try to get them soon.

You seriously need some NEW biscuit mounts , those are very cracked .

Anybody try the manifolds on a manual trans early A-body.....

I also had thought of buying a header kit, and fashioning a off center dump log style manifold, it would dump between the front of the steering box and behind the starter...any thoughts...

-
Back