340 top hp without a stroker kit

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

A friend of mine was at a speed shop and I told him to ask the mechanic there how much to rebuild a 340. I told my friend to tell the mechanic I wanted 420 - 450 hp. My friend phoned me back and said the mechanic said that it's hard to get over 400 hp out of a 340 without a stroker kit. That sound weird to me.

Turbos but you would have to run head studs and o-ring heads.

Stock stroke 340, 11:1 compression ported cast iron head, Victor intake big solid cam 480hp @6900rpms but it made peak torque of 416ftlbs at 5200rpms

720hp stock stroke crank fully ported w2 heads seen it done

Before I started the de-tune my stock stroke 340 was running 11.78 @ 118 mph (Car weight is 3,250).

I don't know the math to figure out the HP from there but my guess is it's over 400 hp.

Hi everybody.

A friend of mine was at a speed shop and I told him to ask the mechanic there how much to rebuild a 340. I told my friend to tell the mechanic I wanted 420 - 450 hp. My friend phoned me back and said the mechanic said that it's hard to get over 400 hp out of a 340 without a stroker kit. That sound weird to me.

Find a different mechanic/engine builder.
It's possible to get that with NHRA/IHRA legal parts in Stock class cars that have basically blueprinted stock stroke, compression, lift, valve sizes and carbs. They can run between mid 10's to mid 11's, depending on year and body used. But the engines, drivelines and chassis are highly refined. With aftermarket parts, it easier. But the builder still has to know what he's doing to properly machine and put the right combination of parts together.

I would ask him what he means by that. He may just be telling you in the way he thinks appropriate that for what you want, low end power is preferred. They can easilly be built to make that power. The difference is, at that power level it needs much more less street friendly support parts like gears, and convertors, because they will make that power at a proportionately higher rpm point.

sounds like you went to a chevy mechanic... haha but seriously i would go to a new mechanic had a stock stroke 340 j heads 530 solid cam make 430hp

I want to rebuild it put some flat top pistons, good rods and some aluminum heads. About 450 or a little better hp is what I want but no stroker crank.

I want to rebuild it put some flat top pistons, good rods and some aluminum heads. About 450 or a little better hp is what I want but no stroker crank.
I have a good friend that swears he could do it just by putting on the right aluminum heads. I would start there and build up the bottom end to handle the added HP. Plus the lighter weight will help the "feeling" of speed.

On a side note: Stroking would give you that 450 hp at a much more street friendly state of tune.

340 w/ KB flat tops, XS282S cam, Ede heads mildly cleaned up, about 10:1, victor or Air Gap, 750-950 holley, headers and it made 455hp

It's not really hard to get there, you'll have to spin it some RPM.

Not hard to do but you will need more converter and rear gears for it to run well. Where as a stroker does not need the gears or converter for the same comparable hp. For a heavy street car that spends most its life at low RPMs the stroker is king. No comparison when it comes to low end torque period.

Not hard to do but you will need more converter and rear gears for it to run well. Where as a stroker does not need the gears or converter for the same comparable hp. For a heavy street car that spends most its life at low RPMs the stroker is king. No comparison when it comes to low end torque period.
100% true, but this is all beside the point.

100% true, but this is all beside the point.

Just going by what the OP mentioned... I think that was exactly the point. At least the point from which the machinist was coming from. And of course, it's through another person so I'm sure some is "lost in translation".

I just made 428HP @ 6200 w/ 405TQ @ 5500 w 10.5:1 .030 over 340 TRW 2316 pistons, lightened 340 rods w/ arp bolts, stock forged crank, OOTB edelbrock closed chambered heads, comp .528/.535 248/250 @ .050 cam. Very basic build. Im sure w/ some port work and an XE282S cam I would be over 450. Time to prove that mechanic wrong. My machinist, witch is a chevy guy was thinking my motor would only make 375. He was so curious he dynoed it for me free. I should have brought a camcorder. He couldn't believe how well the engine did on a basic rebuild and ootb heads.

340 w/ kb flat tops, xs282s cam, ede heads mildly cleaned up, about 10:1, victor or air gap, 750-950 holley, headers and it made 455hp

it's not really hard to get there, you'll have to spin it some rpm.

x2

Hi everybody.

So sorry I missed this.

For starters, walk away from that *** clown and never look back for then and only then you will have saved yourself from an asshole and a know nothing moron, but in addition, you will have saved yourself A LOT of MONEY!

You can do that HP amount with stock well done ported heads. Though like mentioned above, you may have to spin some RPM's to get there. Requiring a loose converter and tall gears to get'er going.

500hp is CAKE for a 340 with the cams and heads today has to offer

X's 2!

-
Back