36 days until my knee replacement

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Well guys
36 days until my knee replacement and the start of my new life.

Anyone out there have one, any advise u can offer.

Rick

It's gonna suck for a while. My Mom and my Uncle had their's done. Took my Mom about 3 months to start walking without her cane, and she is a whining drama queen (I love her, but it is what it is). My Uncle took even longer, and he is the kind of guy who never lets on when he is in pain, so I guess it varies pretty widely from person to person. Both of them are much better off now than they were before the operations. My Uncle was a tournement bass fisherman, and he had to give it up because of the pain in his knee. He says he could go back to it now, but he enjoys playing poker more...go figure.

My dads had both done, one about 6yrs ago ,the other last yr. He is in his 70's, goes to gym regular, the 1st few weeks were rough but he's getting around good now>>
good luck to ya!!!!!!

From the Nurse I'm married to, walk as soon as possible for as long as you can, more each day, as to help in a quicker recovery and avoid pneumonia which comes about by to much time in bed.

If the pain meds do not agree with you, ask for a change.

Good luck to ya man. My dad has had a bad knee for years and within the last year or so its gotten alot worse. He goes in next week to find out what their plan is for him. His neighbor just had his done maybe 6 months ago at the most and he's doing awesome. It will take a while to heal up but keep your chin up, life will be much better for you.

Hey Cuda Guy -
I had a total knee replacement done on my left knee 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did!
I had an arthroscopic procedure about 25 years ago on the same knee and found out then that my knee was the equivalent of 65 years old due to arthritis. I put up with it until it really impacted my lifestyle - couldn't walk for any distance, stairs were not my friend, and I was constantly looking for the shortest and easiest way to get anywhere. I continued to bowl weekly but would really hit the pain meds both on bowling night and the day after.
After the surgery, my surgeon told me I'd been bone-on-bone for several years and wore the joint down quite a bit.
Two things are key to a successful replacement:
1. Get the best surgeon you can find. I lucked out and chose one who specializes in knee and hip replacements. He and his partner developed a titanium replacement knee that perfectly mimics a normal knee. Not only does it hinge like a knee, but I can also swivel on it - something that most replacement joints won't allow.
2. Get the best therapist for after-surgery and follow their instruction to the letter.
I had my knee replaced in mid-January and started bowling in league again in late March. The replaced knee is my sliding leg and hasn't given me a bit of trouble since.
I'd get my other knee done in a heartbeat if necessary.

Good luck to you. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. PM me if you want to ask anything specific or need any further info.

-
Back