360 E58 information

-

grjammer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found an E58 that came out of a 79 300 today for 3 n change, couldn't tell til I got it home and tore into it. see pic..double roller!

definitely a high mile rebuild project.
Cant seem to find good data on this engine, so much conflicting information.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of its innards are tomorrow:blob:

Just want real info! no BS! lol

Attachments

• dbl roller.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 760
A good 360,with a 340 cam installed. Mopar ,threw a W2 headed version ,the EPA. Smoked ,the EPA b.s. tests,no heat riser port,killed it.

heads don't look special, 4071051, don't know what a W2 casting is.

Your good. Mopar ,tried, to sneak one ,past the EPA. Sorry.

Small valve heads 1.88 intake. Should have 340 springs in them.Pretty much a stock 360 but with a 340 cam. That should have a tq on it.

The 79 version of the e58 didn't come with the 340 cam. Beyond the double roller and the four barrel intake the 79 e58 was the same as any 79 360.

Plus it has permatex on the timining chain cover seal.
I will bet you lunch that the chain has been changed once by the sludge in the motor.

does it have a windage tray. (e58 package) Maybe Truck engine (little red express). I built a similar engine with J heads, 340 4bbl cam. Tq MONSTER! If you want info on my combo let me know. 18MPG and 345 hp at rear wheels! Fun, Fun, Fun!

chain is really loose, inch play on either side, doubt it has been changed, pan has been re-sealed as well, someone trying to stop leaks. spent the day pressure washing the crud off the underside of the cuda today, what a freakin mess that was, degrease the car, degrease the garage,degrease the driveway, degrease the degreaser and degrease me. but should be a little better working on it now. haven't pulled the pan off it yet. but will start on teardown this week.

Thanks for info! This site rocks for being able to find so much. I even find archived posts on google searches from years ago that came from here.

Your good. Mopar ,tried, to sneak one ,past the EPA. Sorry.

That's not exactly true. The engineers working for Chrysler then were told not to try it. Now being curious people, (aren't well all?) they tried after hours. Then the word got out about it.
Chrysler never "Tried to sneak one last the EPA."

So said the engineers in an interview.

-
Back