360 for a day

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
i finally yanked my dog of a 318 and put in a 75 360 the guy i got it from said had 75000 miles, swapped in summit 6901 from 318, b& m flexplate etc, fired right up, good oil pressure, went for a drive, had traction issues, it was great! got home did compressiontest out of curiousity, 100 to 120, f@#$%! went out for some smoky photos, 2nd burnout in oil pressure gauge falls to 0.drove it 2 miles to home, tickin like crazy, as i pull into driveway it went quiet and ran normal. popped hood, some oil had blown out of dipstick tube, engine didnt feel overly hot to the touch . i fired it up twice after this to check things, started great. pulling it apart right now and cam and lifters look to be in good shape, im sure bottom end isnt though. question is i may put 318 roller block back in, thinking i may put 89 360 roller cam i have laying around into it. is that cam any larger than a stock 318 cam?oh ya,long story short, next time i'll put in new oil pump instead of my back yard test and being cheap

i finally yanked my dog of a 318 and put in a 75 360 the guy i got it from said had 75000 miles, swapped in summit 6901 from 318, b& m flexplate etc, fired right up, good oil pressure, went for a drive, had traction issues, it was great! got home did compressiontest out of curiousity, 100 to 120, f@#$%! went out for some smoky photos, 2nd burnout in oil pressure gauge falls to 0.drove it 2 miles to home, tickin like crazy, as i pull into driveway it went quiet and ran normal. popped hood, some oil had blown out of dipstick tube, engine didnt feel overly hot to the touch . i fired it up twice after this to check things, started great. pulling it apart right now and cam and lifters look to be in good shape, im sure bottom end isnt though. question is i may put 318 roller block back in, thinking i may put 89 360 roller cam i have laying around into it. is that cam any larger than a stock 318 cam?oh ya,long story short, next time i'll put in new oil pump instead of my back yard test and being cheap

Probably had more like 175000 on it..live and learn..

Abhhhhhhh, I have 275,000 on an engine that did smokin burn outs with the basic bolt one and a cam. Still kickin but years later.

Truth is, prior engine care is key. Gamble away people's!

Sorry to hear of this. I do not know off hand if the 360 cam is bigger.

yes on prior engine care, the heads were very bad shape but bores looked pretty good. i figured id take a chance.......

Yea... Been there done that. It's the most fun. Even more so when the engine is destined to be beat on without car. Blow it up and replace it next week, go racing again.

Bugger!

Throw some new rings and bearings in her (as well as an oil pump) and you'll be laughing.

Fairly sure the stock 360 cam is bigger than a 318, too.

- boingk

well i picked up a 77360 out of a motorhome today with torque converter. looks to be a low miler, took off exhaust manifolds and exhaust valves look real clean. some thing new to me is the heads have a drain plug for the water passage, one on each head. was this factory or done by PO? gonna start stripping it tomorrow and see whats what, hopefully i got a better deal this time!

well i picked up a 77360 out of a motorhome today with torque converter. looks to be a low miler, took off exhaust manifolds and exhaust valves look real clean. some thing new to me is the heads have a drain plug for the water passage, one on each head. was this factory or done by PO? gonna start stripping it tomorrow and see whats what, hopefully i got a better deal this time!
Best of luck....

I've never seen drain plugs in a head, must have been added afterwards...

There will be small holes in the head under the exhaust ports - block them off, that's for emissions that you don't need. Tap for 1/4" - 20 thread and get some short 1/4" - 20 set screws and block them off. Make sure the set screws don't stick out of the hole to hang an exhaust manifold/header from sealing...

I ran a set of 360 truck heads on a 318 for many years and they are good heads...

If you wish, have your head guy open the intakes up to 2.02" valves when you get a valve job...

You may also want to grind down that little bump on the floor of exhaust ports for better flow..

These motor home cylinder heads. Are they missing the " horse shoe" gap around the exhaust cross over? Did it have a temperature sending unit threaded into one of those extra bung holes? Are the spark plug threads a larger size (390 ford size)?

yes on the bigger spark plugs!no temp gauge in bung holes, standard spot on intake, has horseshoe gap.bottom side of head has no numbers, just a stylized I and C,emblem. rough measurement says valves are 1.78/1.50, 318 size. its definitely a 360. cleanest used motor ive ever taken apart, no bore ridge whatsoever and still has crosshatching

Those are 318 valve sizes he listed.

They are also 360 rv/ motorhome sized valves. His heads use J series sparkplugs also I believe. It most likely cam stock with a double roller timing chain with a baby sized cam also. Those engines are a slightly different breed then a normal car or truck 360. They are more like the industrial engine instead.

I have never seen a 360 with those small valves. Only 318's.

I have never seen a 360 with those small valves. Only 318's.

Ever seen one with 18mm spark plugs instead of 14mm ones? I saw these 360's at the one Dodge dealer I wrenched at that also serviced motorhomes and RV's. I believe the same engine was used in generators, forklifts and some farm equipment. They are low rpm torque engines.

And the "I" "C" you mentioned is actually Chrysler Industrial, with 18mm spark plugs, small valves, provisions for a temperature sending unit in the end of a head. Used in Industrial applications. Also check the shape of the combustion chamber. It may not follow the norm!

Cool info, I knew there were a few industrial application engines around but never really knew what they varied on.

If its like anything else 'industrial' that I've tinkered with, it will go like no tomorrow when you spruce it up a bit!

- boingk

nailed it max1196, wont be using those heads, for for now my ported 302s ti l i get back to work. hoping it works out ok, motor is flawless on the inside so im hopeful!

I have-

410/417 L 249/269 D for the 5.9 roller cam

The 5.2 cam is actually larger on the lift side.

That's quite a bit bigger than a 318 cam.

Interested in this because I also have all of those parts- 1986 9.2:1 318 roller block and a 2000 5.9 with a "rod knock".

-
Back