360 la

-
this is a comp cam and lifter set..royal purple break in oil..20 minute break in....then 10w30 with zddp added...maybe 5 hours on the motor...what is your opinion guys...guess ill have to pull the motor,tear it down,clean it out and rebuild

003.JPG

this is a comp cam and lifter set..royal purple break in oil..20 minute break in....then 10w30 with zddp added...maybe 5 hours on the motor...what is your opinion guys...guess ill have to pull the motor,tear it down,clean it out and rebuild

View attachment 1716174526

Unfortunately yes, sorry for the bad luck.

Ugh! I went nuts when that happened to me.

Double check the tapper on the cam lobe and tappet.
(It’s super small)
Make sure the tappet spins freely in the bore.

Ugh! I went nuts when that happened to me.

Double check the tapper on the cam lobe and tappet.
(It’s super small)
Make sure the tappet spins freely in the bore.
the lifter turns in the bore fine...roller cam now...who makes the best roller set up for a 360 la?

Best roller tappet? IDK! There are favorable attributes like a .810 diameter wheel that are available. Otherwise a .750 wheel seems to be a standard size. I have a .750 wheel from BAMM on my Lunati solid roller. The larger wheel turns slower for less stress. It’s a small thing but they add up.

Another thing a bunch of people do is step up to a race lifter rather than a standard duty lifter. (I guess that’s the best way to say that, accurate or not.) An example is using a standard roller lifter from Comp Cams to the heavy duty racing lifter.

The lifter wheel can come in a few different sizes but for me, the axle that is bushed is the way to go over roller bearings. A direct oil feed to the axle I also like. Also a low or mid lifter oil band (if so made that way) I also like so it doesn’t get uncovered at high lifts.

If your lift is under .570-ish or so, you’ll probably not need to worry about this but it should be checked anyway. If the oil band is exposed, low oil pressure will result.

Shop around, keep poking around to explore what’s out there.

I’m not really one of those “the sky is falling” types wgt cam failures.
That being said……..it would be a pretty tough sell to get me to use a FT cam these days(and I def wouldn’t in a customer build).

There are things I don’t love about HR cams(and I don’t feel a SR is always a good fit in every application), but at least one thing you can be pretty sure of with the HR.
The cam won’t go flat on break in.

-
Back