383 bb ?? pros and cons

-

74_duster

Reaction score
what are the pros and cons and is 400 a good price fore one that runs

I absolutely love the 383 that was in my 68 Charger I had. It was built up a little bit but was still kind of mild... it would move that car easy!

what all did u have done to yours ide like to build mine a bit to ..think ide have trouble putting it i n a 74 duster

what all did u have done to yours ide like to build mine a bit to ..think ide have trouble putting it i n a 74 duster

Demon seed (a member on here) has one in his duster. Talk to him if you like.

The motor (what I can remember)

383 bored .030
10:1 compression
Performer intake
Stock heads and valve train
750 Holley with vacuum secondaries (auto trans)
.484 Mopar Purple shaft cam
Hooker headers
Accel ignition with rev limiter
2800 stall converter
4.10 gears with sure grip
727 automatic with shift kit,extra parts inside trans for strength

This was a mild build compared to what could be done... but it was a healthy beast.

Depends what "one that runs means". The local boneyard wants $250 for a rebuildable 383 longblock. If yours is near the end of it's life you might be able to do a little better than $400. If it's low miles on a rebuild it sounds like a good deal.

i've build 73 duster with a 383 about 12 yrs ago. that car was fun!!!!8) i'm currently building another with a 400 big block!!! the thing i like best about the "B" motors is big bore short stroke!!! its the big block that rev's almost like a small block!! its also 3/4 of an inch shorter than a 440. yet the 400 has the biggest bore of all the production V8s!! 400 and 383 strokers are the bomb!!!! fast big block motors in a light weight A body = chevy killer!!!!!:cheers:

i stuffed a 383 into my 75 a few years ago it wasnt too bad had to get some conversion engine mounts from a /6 to BB but other than a couple extra drilled holes it wasnt too bad, as far as running ive had her up to 6000 no problem i dont do it often but she has no issues with it, and doesent stop pulling from idle and up :burnout:

I have turned mine 7200 a few times with no problems with a stock oil pan.I usally turn it 6500-6800. With some performance bolt ons these motors really wake up. Jim

We have a 383 (bored .060 over) in our '68 Dart GT.

It has a Holley 750, Perf RPM manifold, Chet Herbert 280 Hyd cam, 902 ported heads, 727 & 2800RPM TC, 3.91SG..

I think that the 383 is a good engine. The one in our Dart has more than adequate power for our use on the Street and we've never had any issues in over 3 years of almost daily driving.

The 383 is definitely a lot of fun to drive...:thumbup:

way back when i was a 16yr old poor mopar fan i would do 383's because they were cheap and 440's were expensive. gradually moved away from 383's into 440's. 1996 i bought this challenger with a blown 383 in it. i was hooked back on 383's. this thing was fairly mild but made some pretty good reliable HP and would rev (9200 shifts by the previous owner) good oil system and valve train. ran 10's and was streetable.

i now prefer low blocks again even though i have lots of RB engines.tough as nails!!! short stroke holds together pretty well.

14715568lg.jpg

Hi there.
What state are you in??I have a fresh 383 built ported heads Crower Cams Melling pump and more...

MR JIM.

The 383! MoPars inexspensive big block and most noteable street warrior from days past would do battle more often in the streets than a 440 since it was a cheaper engine to purchase and get in a new car. Though there was no shortage of 440's stomping the asphault.

While lacking the luster of the big C.I.D. number and torque of the 440, quick thinkers use the short stroke to there advantage as much as possible. To equal performance with the 440, it'll take a little more cam and gear.

IF you have a 4spd, you can even go up "One Step" more in cam size.

Theres plenty writin about getting the 383/400 to perform. One way the new wave of doing things is going is to stroke the b engine up and use the added torque to your advatage along with the now really really lite rotating assembly. If you have the bucks or are making a plan for stroking it, you'll find it a great combo.

Go to mopar muscle magazine web site and look for tech pages. They did a few 383 builds that were very impressive. My all too stock 383 runs 12.50's in my duster and low 11's with a 150 shot. The new 383 should be in within the month. Should be around 525hp on motor alone. Can't wait.

383's are great and when it comes to running stock motors the 383 has the cylinder pressure the 400 doesn't, the 400cid has a bigger bore, lower compression and cast iron crankshaft while the 383 has steel crank [till71-72]

Hey hemis have a 4.25 bore just like 383's....so bore is not the main concern.

383's are great and when it comes to running stock motors the 383 has the cylinder pressure the 400 doesn't, the 400cid has a bigger bore, lower compression and cast iron crankshaft while the 383 has steel crank [till71-72]

Hey hemis have a 4.25 bore just like 383's....so bore is not the main concern.

all above very true! The 383 becomes a 426 with the 440 crank. Nice! A 426 Wedge engine! Or in the 400, a 451. Overbore dependent of course.

It's a shame the 400's never made it into the performance era with a decent piston, cam etc.... The cast crank will hold well and under a street rides build, I can not see an issue at all.

-
Back