383 Build up questions...

-
Keith Black has pistons for a zero deck height and slightly below that. Decking the heads or block is between you and the machinest on what it needs or doesn't need.

They do ?? If they do it's something new , the only 2 pistons I have ever seen are both .024 in the hole last I checked ...

Assuming my 383 has 906 heads and it standard bore, what pistons should I purchase to get the comp ratio up into the 9's??? Should the heads be shaved and the block decked as well?

Depends on what flavor your 383 is , as delivered the 68-69 383 4bbl engine with flat tops and no valve reliefs sits .003 in the hole , the 290HP 2bbl engine the piston also sits .003 in the hole but has a dish , The heads will be roughly 90cc , the math says this is about 9.2 as delivered , a far stretch from the CLAIMED 10.0 .

There are only 3 flat tops available that I know of , all are below the deck more than they should be in my opinion. Forged is a Speedpro or Diamond, the other is a POS KB hyper.

The only one that can be had as a semi custom is the Diamond piston, it has a CH of 1.916 , but is setup for floating pin. Have your block square deck the minimum and use that deck height to have a piston made to get it to zero , it's a very cheap upcharge to do this ... more thought on the CH adjust upcharge one could switch to an RB rod making it roughly 1.772 ... adjusted from that to get zero after squaring ... this will give you the RPM potential of a stroker with less piston mass.

I'm doing a stoke stroke 383 for the Pure Stock Drags and this is the route I will go as I need a piston sticking .020 above the deck to get the 10.0 ADVERTISED compression with an NHRA head CC of 79.5 .

Ha ha ha funny!
Funny how ?

show me where I am wrong .

I just went to their site and it won't load fully , the only 2 383 pistons I have seen them list is the 162 and the 400 , both are a 1.908 CH , a zero deck would be 1.935 , yes it's not much but after you send a few hundred machining the block decks , the valley end rails and the heads intake surface to make up for that .024 you have to remove to get a zero deck getting a QUALITY piston made to fit your block , vs making your block fit a POS hyper pistons , starts to make more sense .

With the 383, what would be the best carb to go with if it is currently stock and you plan on adding better intake manifold, heads and camshaft in the future? I just don't want to buy a new stock carb and have to replace it shortly if the budget eases up and I can buy the top end sooner.

Thanks
*Rogue

the only time hypers turn into pieces of **** is when dumb fk's use them out of and beyond their intended application.

Thats a fact.

80719165.jpg

With the 383, what would be the best carb to go with if it is currently stock and you plan on adding better intake manifold, heads and camshaft in the future? I just don't want to buy a new stock carb and have to replace it shortly if the budget eases up and I can buy the top end sooner.

Thanks
*Rogue

My choice would be a 750 Demon with vacuum secondaries. It'll work with a stock engine, (you'll probably have to jet her down a little), and be there for the future.

My choice would be a 750 Demon with vacuum secondaries. It'll work with a stock engine, (you'll probably have to jet her down a little), and be there for the future.

demon seed, thanks for the reply. I will be looking into the 750's and saving the money.

That Kermit is hilarious!

*Rogue

the only time hypers turn into pieces of **** is when dumb fk's use them out of and beyond their intended application.

Thats a fact.

You shouldn't disrespect your date by posting pictures of him on the internet like that wild . :bootysha:

KB hypers are pieces of **** out of the box , I don't who is in charge of chrysler piston design but I doubt he has EVER seen a big block wedge head in person. Most of their hyper designs suck , the 383 being the worst , you can't get any decent compression in a 383 unless you go to their dome piston and on the flattop they have a CANYON for a valve relief which is friggin stupid for a piston that far in the hole as most don't bother decking the block on a rebuild when that POS is their piston of choice. I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't do a step head piston for the 383 considering they do it for a stock stroke 400 ...

kermit1.jpg

John,
You know holding back like that isnt good for your blood pressure you know...lol.

Since you never responded in the other thread, I'll be a little more forward. Why would you spend $200 (I figure shipping is more to where to you are) for conversion motor mounts when you can build your own Direct Connection K-member from what you already have and use factory mounts (should be able to find these for less than $50 on e-bay, etc.)?

True. All you need are c body engine mounts and a bit of welding on your K frame. If you need the mounts I have them,from a 78 Newport with a 400.

-
Back