400 engine

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
have many 230 cold weather engines and blocks, 400 engines, many 630 400 blocks ,but im in s fla and shipping would be exp.

I have a 78' 400-2bbl out of a 78 D150....it was tired but should be rebuildable.

The early 400 block webbing myth has been debunked.....Later model 77-78 400's come with 452 heads w/hardened valve seats.

I am open to offers over $500...let me hear from you.

prine.it has? pull up 440 source.com scroll down to everything you wanted to know about bb mopar engines, friend then come back and tell me yours has 1.350 b measurement, also what was the strongest block ever factory built? lemme know what ya find out

its ok tho, your blocks still stronger than any 383 that ever came out

darn it , im human, I apologize to you for being rude to you prine

i have a 78 400 also with trans complete $300 4 brl motor all there just pulled it this weekend running motor out of a 78 New Yorker

the walls arent thinner on the later 400s but the webbing is weaker, still stronger than the early 440s and 383s by far but if ya want the best its the 230 with 1.350 support, followed by 76 4006630 440s but you have to measure measure measure

I believe what I have researched. The "myth" was started because people in the "know", KNOW that 400's are the foundation for BIG INCH strokers and there were LESS 400's made than there were 440's....= limited supply......you tell someone that unless its a 1972 Block its junk, it automatically reduces VALUE to them in their head.

ANY 400 is a great foundation after the proper cleanup.

You do not go out of your way to Sonic check 440's do you?

Now, I will admit that I found conclusive information that 72' 400's do have the thickest cylinder walls, but in NO WAY should any year 400 be disregarded.

And thanks for the apology, I do not intend to come off as a know it all, but I sure as heck do not post on a subject I have no experience on, or have not done thorough research on.

Friends?

I've got a 230 casting 400 engine, dis-assembled. What is it worth? I have someone interested and want to know a fair price.

Them early 230 thick wall casting like the one I had that needed 3 sleeves because of core shift... that thick wall???

It's the main webbing that guys desire and has little or nothing to do with any thick wall casting in the bore.

Without a sonic check, none of them are worth much, IMHO.

cracked. prine, gts 440 source.com pull up stroker kits, scroll down to all you ever wanted to know about big block mopar engines

prine, wrong the 72s have the thickest main webbing of any factory block manufactured,the bore thickness is the same, the webbing on the mains on the later blocks and stroking a 76 or later block to make big hp requires block filler, bore thickness is same on all maybe better moreso on later 400s as technology advancements in that time frame created better and heavier blocks and less core shift .regardless, the 78 blocks are better than the 383s and 440s with the exception of the 76 4006630 440 with .575 meat around the main but not all these blocks had the .575 but it sure beats the .375 number for older 440s

cracked, always sonic check the block first bro, your mistake friend

My 400 LongBlock will become a mailbox base before I care enough about it to compare ***** sizes....I researched your linked information, and I know its not Junk.

If someone wants it, that is just dandy, if not....the company of the 4 other Big Blocks sitting in storage beside it will keep it from being Lonely.

no prine, its in the fact that the 400 has a stronger block, has a bigger bore that a 440 a shorter stroke, is smaller physically and we all know a lighter internal assembly with same cubic inches as the 440 will out run the 440 every time. pistons alone you save over 7 lbs then cutting counterweights down ,cutting mains down to b block size is another 15 lbs or more if you do it right and use around a 2330 bobweight, shorter stroke shorter piston, shorter piston, less weight

for 500 I can buy the later 400s for 100 bux, no offense meant and like I said your 400 is still stronger than any 383 most 440s and all 413s

friends? heck yes prine I didnt mean to knock the later 400s just that they have a tad thinner main webbing,take care

I mag, sonic check the 230s 1/2 block filled main studs ,billet caps,girdle,head studs, im talking 900 hp engine here no nos.thats why I like the 230 best ,the 1.350 thickness,I play it safe

the early 400 webbing thickness has not been debunked and on my part the later 400s have same bore thickness if not more as technology reduced core shift. were both human and we both made a mistake but always friends bro.

and to cracked, you learned a valuable lesson, and yes any block I use is always magged and always sonic checked before using.even the almighty 440 lol

I always thought 400's were a bad block for core sift and thin cylinder walls?

Was staying away from them for that reason. I realise they are a better fit in an A body than the taller 440,and with a 440 crank you can create the 451 screamer.

This is very good news. Thanks for opening my eyes. The same guy I was thinking of swapping work for a 440 with also has 3 or 4 400's which he is much more willing to part with for much less.

I now know my Darts final destination!!!

have many 230 cold weather engines and blocks, 400 engines, many 630 400 blocks ,but im in s fla and shipping would be exp.

Where would I find these #'s? Cast in side of block or stamped somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back