400 hp 5.2l vs 5.9l Magnums

-
You didn't have any clearance issues between the valves and cylinder walls?
No, I was running 72 340 "J" heads with 1.88 intakes and 1.60 exhaust. The heads were milled .040 to get 65cc chambers. I did check before I did the final assy.

I have put a 340 top top end (heads, cam, intake and carb) on a 273 since I had a forged crank, TRW forged 10.5:1 piston shortblock. Pretty much ran like a 340, minus a small bit. The problem with a 273 and really high flowing heads you get past a 7,000 rpm peak. Not really friendly on the street, pretty much driving around in 2nd gear unless you are on the highway.
Definitely would have to be spun to 7000 rpm the 318 is at 6200 rpm, could use Rhoads lifters to be more streetable.

If you noticed, the smaller engine with the higher flowing ports make the same HP with a smaller cam. 273's run solid lifter cams and I would not have it any other way.

Do you agree you just can't keep on adding infinitely more gear for faster e.t.?
Yes
If agreed do you agree the 318 with peak power 800 rpm higher will need deeper gears than the 360 at optimal gearing for both for best e.t. ?
Possibly
Do agree your basic premise if I put more gear behind the 318 you could do same with the 360?
That’s what I was saying.
If so say for a eg 360 = 4.56 and 318 =5.13 this the optimal gear for each, why adding 5.13 behind the 360 ain't gonna work ?
I agree but do you want me to explain what you know so we’ll to you?

My turn….

Have you built your own engines if so, how many?
Have you worked in a machine shop?
Do you rebuild your own heads?
Have you been asked to build engines for others?
If so how many?
Any schooling?
Any family in drag racing or other racing venues?
How many generations?
Are you or have you been a professional mechanic?
If so, how many years?

At least you can half way lol
LMAO—- Oooooooooooooo Kay!!!!!
I know that’s what you been saying cause ask if that’s been your basic premise not mine.
Incorrect. Yours since you mentioned it first and took that route and now your saying what I never said but what you said so if that confusion for you perhaps you should not mention something so obvious and the. Call me out on your own short comings of understand what you think you said and assumed I said or purposely flipped the direction in an effort to hide your own short comings by twisting words around and trying to trick people into thinking I said something I didn’t but what you said first in order to crutch a smaller engine making less power which we all know will loose to the larger engine no matter how you twist the words of adding more torque through gear ratio to do the obscure and make more torque than the bigger engine when you never gave the option of another gear ratio for the larger engine to compete.

Totally slanted in the wrong way. Hyper confused you are.
You assumption is mid leading and only fooling those that don’t know and if you truly believe the **** your shoveling that you are dumber than I thought you are which is constantly showing with totally outlandish assumptions and straight up stating things as fact.

You need to take a look at the whole picture and stop one siding the dribble you spew. You are taking this to a joker level of dizzying heights. You must live the lack of oxygen.

My turn….

If so how many?
Any schooling?
How many generations?
If so, how many years?
@273

My turn….

If so how many?
Any schooling?
No mostly done is added basic performance parts to stock short block mostly 318’s

Yes my uncle owns and operates a Top Alcohol car and manufactures his own cnc hemi blocks, my cousin ran late model help him, his dad built a lot of engine when we were kids learn a lot through him hanging around.
Work for my dad’s garage on and off.

Do I have as much experience as you probably not doesn’t mean I can’t know things.

LMAO—- Oooooooooooooo Kay!!!!!

Incorrect. Yours since you mentioned it first and took that route and now your saying what I never said but what you said so if that confusion for you perhaps you should not mention something so obvious and the. Call me out on your own short comings of understand what you think you said and assumed I said or purposely flipped the direction in an effort to hide your own short comings by twisting words around and trying to trick people into thinking I said something I didn’t but what you said first in order to crutch a smaller engine making less power which we all know will loose to the larger engine no matter how you twist the words of adding more torque through gear ratio to do the obscure and make more torque than the bigger engine when you never gave the option of another gear ratio for the larger engine to compete.

Totally slanted in the wrong way. Hyper confused you are.
You assumption is mid leading and only fooling those that don’t know and if you truly believe the **** your shoveling that you are dumber than I thought you are which is constantly showing with totally outlandish assumptions and straight up stating things as fact.

You need to take a look at the whole picture and stop one siding the dribble you spew. You are taking this to a joker level of dizzying heights. You must live the lack of oxygen.
You literally typed that’s what you been saying how’s that me flipping it. Lol

No mostly done is added basic performance parts to stock short block mostly 318’s
OK cool
Yes my uncle owns and operates a Top Alcohol car and manufactures his own cnc hemi blocks, my cousin ran late model help him, his dad built a lot of engine when we were kids learn a lot through him hanging around.
You need to hang around them some more.
Work for my dad’s garage on and off.
Very cool
Do I have as much experience as you probably not doesn’t mean I can’t know things.
This last sentence is a ridiculous statement and something that should have never popped out of your mouth.

What ya got so far?

(Tell me it’s more than a pipe dream loaded with wacky weed!)

You literally typed that’s what you been saying how’s that me flipping it. Lol
Incorrect !

Your putting words in my mouth.

It’s there for everyone to see!

Surely Shirley you can’t be serious?!?!

Incorrect !

Your putting words in my mouth.

It’s there for everyone to see!

Surely Shirley you can’t be serious?!?!

1E390879-9BBC-4D01-96CA-90495EE311B5.png

Your confusing & confused

Bottom line where this started is YOU said in a response the 318 will make more torque than the 360 with a gear change.

Bullshit because your not allowing the 360 any such benefit

Now you’re twisting the words around. Altering the meaning and bullshitting the people.

Caught ya red handed trying to twist things around.

Ya know what?

Whatever dude, I’m growing my hands up in the air right now on your lies and stupidity.

Enjoy!

Bullshit because your not allowing the 360 any such benefit
I finally get the problem, your under the impression if you gear the 360 more the added torque matters it's doesn't, it's the HorsePower to the ground that matter and gears do nothing for hp, Cause you guys are obsessed with torque especially the difference larger engines have over smaller ones so I was just pointing when two engine of similar power curves but different torque curves with proper gearing basically equals the torque out to the ground.

Why a 318 needs more gear is to get into it's powerband so both are putting similar power down at similar places on the track since they have similar power curves. Not saying the 318 will win or better but similar 1/4 mile performance wise.

When for eg. you make 400 hp with a bunch of different size engines will divide it into different ratios of torque and rpm and proper gearing will basically have to redivide the torque and rpm to line up the hp curves of the different engines of similar power curves.

Couldn't figure out why you couldn't get passed the 360 gearing, now I see :)

Last edited:
My 360s been on the stand ready to go for 15 years. Stock bottom end with the template ported heads R/T cam and factory top end kit, 1.7 roller rockers, springs, guide plates. m1 intake. Always wanted to know how it would perform, now that I have a valve grinder I’ll pull heads to do them. Get the Duster done and try this engine this summer, btw I have the .501 cam to try also. Can’t wait

I finally get the problem, your under the impression if you gear the 360 more the added torque matters it's doesn't,
Incorrect, this is what you stated
it's the HorsePower to the ground that matter and gears do nothing for hp, Cause you guys are obsessed with torque especially the difference larger engines have over smaller ones so I was just pointing when two engine of similar power curves but different torque curves with proper gearing basically equals the torque out to the ground.
After several posts you admitted to it.
Nether engines gear ratio was never mentioned so I said why can’t the 360 get more gear?

It’s all on the theoretical. Right?

Running to much gear is a possible problem (if your not careful in going upwards in numbers and have no tach to watch) but leaning hard to one side of suggesting I’d over gear the 360 just to compete and then have a claim to a victory is insane. Carefully wording questions to create a slant in your favor was underhanded and deceptive on your behalf.

Imagine what fun one could have if I went back and chopped up your sentences and twisted each direction and meaning on them and twisted the words and created false impressions and made accusations on you?

Not honest misunderstandings!
When for eg. you make 400 hp with a bunch of different size engines will divide it into different ratios of torque and rpm and proper gearing will basically have to redivide the torque and rpm to line up the hp curves of the different engines of similar power curves.

Couldn't figure out why you couldn't get passed the 360 gearing, now I see :)
Oui!

-
Back