400 stroker

-
Picked up 496 stroker components from a local guy. Everything is off at the machine shop while interior is being completed. Car is wired. Going with Schumacher components for mounting and exhaust and 440 source on the motor. More to follow as it moves along.

Looks like someone got one by ya...... Sux but you are doing the right thing by just forging ahead....

What exactly is your vision with all the talk about bigger cubes? More power, interesting Car Show conversations, or just something you want to do?

JW

More power in this case. I built the 74 Swinger with a nice little small block. Wife loves it and drives it all the time. Not a perfect car, but shows nice and the thing turns heads everywhere. Built the 72 Swinger with the 440 and still working on tuning and driveline to get it the way I want. But top to bottom a super clean car from a no rust foundation. Snatched this Demon up and went all the way down to shell with it and bringing it back to life. Had originally built a 408 stroker for it, but sold that because I didn't think my wife would like the car, I was deploying, and could potentially move. Instead, my wife took an interest in the car, designed the interior, and wanted a car to rival the 72 Dart. So hopping up the 383 and trying the stroker is what it is for now and the 74 will be sold when I get home or sooner.

I did the 383 496 stroker for my car, great combo, tons of power! you'll love it, made 590 hp and 615tq, and pulls 16in vac, have over 15,000 trouble free miles, and not easy miles!

That sounds awesome. The builder that sold me the internals said the same thing. I was able to pick up the entire assembly new because a customer changed their mind. Saved me around $700 bucks....I am sure I will spend that elsewhere!

Last edited:
I did the 383 496 stroker for my car, great combo, tons of power! you'll love it, made 590 hp and 615tq, and pulls 16in vac, have over 15,000 trouble free miles, and not easy miles!
What type and specs is your camshaft please?

It was a Dwayne Porter custom deal. I can dig up the specs if Todd doesn't have them handy. A very, very impressive package...

The power numbers are impressive but the one that stands out is the Vacuum. That is an extremely good number and it absolutely coincides with the 15k miles you have put on it. Someone has figured out a real nice combo for sure. I myself would like to see some intel but I doubt the builder would show his hand on the complete package....

Nice,
JW

The power numbers are impressive but the one that stands out is the Vacuum. That is an extremely good number and it absolutely coincides with the 15k miles you have put on it. Someone has figured out a real nice combo for sure. I myself would like to see some intel but I doubt the builder would show his hand on the complete package....

Nice,
JW
I can tell you what I have, it's around 10.5.1 comp. Lightly ported stealth heads , rpm edelbrock intake with 950 street hp holley , comp solid cam , 571 lift and 242-248 dur. @.50 and 114 lsa for power brakes! MOPER on here built the engine , the cam I got from dWayne porter.

More than anything else, Dwayne's cam is the key. It was spec'd for factory manifolds and stock exhaust and it went way pas 500hp in that configuration. Todd got bored with that so after winning his class at Carlisle for stock appearing, he started bolting on other speedy parts. The cam is now the choke point.

Fast forward....I went out on a walkabout while deployed....couldn't update thread. Motor went together. Went with Comp-Cam-Xtreme-Energy-507/510. Funny video of my buddy and his wife with some camera banter on a video he sent me while gone.

IMG_1193.JPG

My 400 block is sitting here prepped and this motor would be running now except I had to stop and have
a 572 Hemi built for the Butch Leal Duster restoration so it's going to be next year.

Quick and easy.....correct.....and worth the money:

Stroker Kits-440 Source Part #400.470.5070 (0.035 over; 10.06 - 1 compression with 78cc chambers).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k616-620-576/overview/
(They will change out the RB intake for a B).

The Summit/Trick Flow kit comes with the TF PP 240 heads, TF intake, Sharp roller rockers, a hydraulic roller camshaft (300 dur, .600 lift) plus studs & gaskets.

Basically you will still have to buy a balancer, water pump & housing, oil pan, distributor & wires, a set of Comp hydraulic roller lifters, headers and a 950 carb.

This pump gas friendly combo makes 620 hp on a 440 on Trick Flow's dyno. The 470 low deck variant should make a bit more and also rev a bit freer. 640 hp? Probably.

Summit/Trick Flow 440 top end kit
Trick%20Flow%20Kit_zpsefz6cp7r.jpg

Last edited:
Yes sir. I just can't get that out of a street friendly 440. I sold the motor that was in the Swinger and as soon as I get this other 440 sold I am going parts collecting!

Went in a field trip to the machine shop today. Dropped off my block and heads and CCd the chambers on a set of stock heads that were done. 85cc measured volume

IMG_1738.JPG

Thats still a hella big chamber.But these days I think it's more about the shape of the chamber,quench,and crappy gas.

Well, I don't have money dripping off my butt so putting together a $4000 set of aluminum heads will just have to wait. These are 906 or 452s. I also don't have money for custom pistons so out of the box 440 source .040 -24 dish pistons should put compression a touch below 9.7 with a good head gasket.

Oh hell! That'll work! And just fine.
Don't let the people spend the make believe internet money they think (you & ) everyone has.

It never ceases to amaze me!
Oh yea, just drop 4K on a set of heads. Don't sweat rockers, there cheap chit @ $1500. Then you need the bitchin exhaust.

While that is all great advice .... for those with money and/or time to assemble such things.....

I am not racing to set a record either. I can get a set of heads off a core motor, replace valves and springs, 3 angle valve job, open them up a touch and see some more hp. I figure the motor will make well over 500hp and a butt ton of torque. I spent two weeks blasting, painting, cleaning, tearing down ****. If I had the cash I would go with OMM's suggestion above, just can't do it. Maybe if I sold this sweet little 440 I am sitting on....but alas, I am left to find other ways to fund the show.

-
Back