408 Oil Pressure prob

-

moparspares

Reaction score
My 408 which had great oil pressure (70PSI) when run on engine stand 5-6 months ago however I started it in car and only ran for about 20 seconds as guage was not registering anything. I took out dist and intermediate shaft and spun pump with drill and I cant get any pressure.

The only thing I have changed is it is now a remote filter with 12 inch hoses. After spinning with drill I removed oil filter and it was chockers full of oil. Emptied it and did it again and filter filled up again. Removed RH valve covers and rockers are dry. Do I need to run it for longer to get the pressure up. Where does the oil route from pickup and is the sender one of the last places that gets oil.

No, you need a friend to rotate the crank so the cams oiling holes line up with the bearing holes that go up to the rocker arm shafts to spill out the oil onto the rockers.

what is your running oil pressure when cold and hot. FWIW, 70psi is high.

did you add a quart of oil to make up for the added capacity of the system with the remote filter?
you may have just enough in there to fill the filter and then run the sump dry

it is still possible that you have the remote filter lines reversed --- triple check them!

I will check this as this is the only thing I changed. Would the hoses go from IN to IN and OUT to OUT or would you read it as OUT of engine to IN of filter OUT of filter to IN to engine. Lost instructions.

Ok I found MR gasket instructions which mine is and they say make sure IN goes to corresponding IN. I am going to take off and double check all this.

Attachments

• mr gasket.pdf
    152.2 KB · Views: 132
huh - maybe it's just a matter of how they write it... but no matter - I hope it works out for you

-
Back