408 update

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
For those of you that are on the fence to install a 408, I'm assuring you it's worth it. The more I drive it, the better it runs. Smile will not leave my face while behind the wheel. I'll get some pics posted soon. 10-1 compression works on the lousy 91 pump gas with ethanol. Very streetable build and WOW does it sound good without the weight of a big block. The Mopar M-1 manifold works much better at lower rpm's than I expected as well.

For those of you that are on the fence to install a 408, I'm assuring you it's worth it. The more I drive it, the better it runs. Smile will not leave my face while behind the wheel. I'll get some pics posted soon. 10-1 compression works on the lousy 91 pump gas with ethanol. Very streetable build and WOW does it sound good without the weight of a big block. The Mopar M-1 manifold works much better at lower rpm's than I expected as well.

What heads and camshaft are you running on the 408?

If you think that's addicting, try a 408 with EFI, a well-built 200R4 with a 4000 stall lock-up converter, 3.91 gears and some 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials: Performance, economy and old school charm.

If you think that's addicting, try a 408 with EFI, a well-built 200R4 with a 4000 stall lock-up converter, 3.91 gears and some 275/60-15 Nitto Drag Radials: Performance, economy and old school charm.
Oh, my, that's the ultimate. Maybe later. I'm out of project money. still have a son in college! What efi are you using

Has my wife been talking about me again???

and there you have it folks, rumblefish360 has won the interwebs for today

Did you change out the valve springs?

Did you change out the valve springs?
It was built by Sharadon Performance in Minnesota who specialize in Mopar. With that cam, you know they did. But also as you know, depends what, if any springs came with them. They built this for a customer who then switched to a new gen. hemi instead and sold this motor to me. When I pulled the valve covers it was a beautiful look into present day valve train technology. Blue's and gold's and silver's. So, as you also know, the comp. cam you order will tell you what springs and keepers are recommended. Makes it easy for most folks.

Shi....I got one on the stand. 403 (4X4.00) Edel Pro-Flow EFI on home ported big valve J heads. El cheapo cast build but will not rev it past 6500. matched Pro-flow cam, 1.6 rollers, fenderwell headers..I just need another car to put it in!

I was just wondering if the stock Edelbrock springs were still being used.

Oh, my, that's the ultimate. Maybe later. I'm out of project money. still have a son in college! What efi are you using

I used a Hotwire Hotrod Harness, a 1998 Dodge 3/4 ton pick-up with no security and manual trans PCM, 40 lbs Ford racing injectors, an Airgap with a Big Gulp Throttle body and reflashed it with a performance tune and a SCT Tuner to take advantage of the bigger cam etc. It's a high 11 second car that will still go over 150 mph.

IMG_1005 (Large).JPG

I used a Hotwire Hotrod Harness, a 1998 Dodge 3/4 ton pick-up with no security and manual trans PCM, 40 lbs Ford racing injectors, an Airgap with a Big Gulp Throttle body and reflashed it with a performance tune and a SCT Tuner to take advantage of the bigger cam etc. It's a high 11 second car that will still go over 150 mph.

View attachment 1714986992
I think you need a bigger roll bar!!!

Could you post a video clip of your car running? This is the set up that I have been thinking about for my Barracuda.
Thanks.

It's all good. The Edelbrock springs are pretty good and I believe they can handle that cam just fine.

It's a high 11 second car that will still go over 150 mph.

That. I want that. Right now I have a car that can go 0-60 fast enough to makes my eyes water, and pretty much sounds like it's going 150mph despite how fast I'm going.

Sadly its exactly what I wanted, but what I wanted has just seemed changed. My 418 is plenty smiles per mile, but sometimes I think maybe the money should have went to a bulletproof well tuned 340 with as much modern transmissionas I could wedge behind it..

That. I want that. Right now I have a car that can go 0-60 fast enough to makes my eyes water, and pretty much sounds like it's going 150mph despite how fast I'm going.

Sadly its exactly what I wanted, but what I wanted has just seemed changed. My 418 is plenty smiles per mile, but sometimes I think maybe the money should have went to a bulletproof well tuned 340 with as much modern transmissionas I could wedge behind it..

I had an issue with hydrocarbon fumes until I welded on a set of metal honeycomb racing cats. They work great, eliminated the fumes and I can't feel any effect it had on performance. It actually seems to run better with them on there.

Jbc426

Which torque converter did you go with, 9.5 or 10.5? Is it a single or duel disk lock up?

-
Back