4bt 72 Dart

-
Back in 2009 or 2010 Arnold Baking Company closed it's doors. Left behind were hundreds of delivery trucks powered by Cummins 4bt backed by TH400 via adapter. Many are still out there not doing anything. Prime contenders for swaps. Trouble spots in the engine include the throttle rod that goes to the injector pump and that 4bt's are VERY,VERY noisy. Other than that, GO FOR IT. p.s. Don't forget to put a booster pump in the tank (45psi) Good Luck

Yeah, Hostess claimed bankruptcy here, to get rid of all the union workers and opened up in another state. And they sold their whole fleet of trucks. The guy I bought the truck from bought over 200 of them from an auction and that was only about a quarter that was up for sale.

I'm curious why you say I should use a pump in the tank? The engine has a mechanical lift pump on the engine, which is the same one the 6bt uses, and that's all they use. Why do you suggest to use one?

I was at a Labor Day car show when a crappy lookin' early 70's Monte Carlo rolled in making all kinds of racket. He was running a Cummins (Dodge) diesel. It drew a big crowd once people figured out what was going on.

It's not like your cutting up a rare GTS convertible so go for it. With a half ton of engine/trans in the Dart and using totally custom mounts...if it was me I'd set the engine back as close to the firewall as possible to help with the weight balance. (maybe even put a recess in the firewall like the hot rodders do) Don't even consider using the /6 T-bars but get some 1.00/1.04 bars. Make sure the T-bar crossmember is in good shape where the T-bar anchors are welded in.

I seen a nice white Monte Carlo with a Cummins in it. In fact there are some videos on you tube of it.

Yeah I do plan on getting some stronger torsion bars. I was plainning on getting some 1.06 ones from Firm Feel, but I have not bought any, nor know anyone that has. Do you have any suggestions of what ones are better than one another?

Sounds like the weight will be about right to me. I wouldn't sweat it much.

Just got this in the mail today. It is an adapter that allows you to choose what size coolant necks you want and allows you to mount a a/c compressor and a Dodge alternator and use a single serpentine belt. This is just the advertisement for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 598
I was hoping they would be, but I by no means will ever consider myself to be an expert on any of this. There will always be someone I can learn from.

Saw October/November issue of Diesel Builders Magazine in walmart tonight with an article of a 68 vette with a 700hp/1300tq 6bt Cummins, might be an article you'd like to read. I'd say if a 6bt fits in a vette (they did have a big cowl hood) a 4bt should fit in your Dart

I think its cool what you are doing with the 4bt cummins. i was wanting to put in my Xwife,s 98 dodge, but we got divorced before anything got started. here is a vid you might like of a 4bt stuffed into a 69 Chevy slowmaro.lol

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUiDQd2NZpU"]69 Cummins Camaro 4bt drag - YouTube[/ame]

Saw October/November issue of Diesel Builders Magazine in walmart tonight with an article of a 68 vette with a 700hp/1300tq 6bt Cummins, might be an article you'd like to read. I'd say if a 6bt fits in a vette (they did have a big cowl hood) a 4bt should fit in your Dart

I would love to fit a 6bt in it, but I know that is not going to happen, but I'm not trying to get crazy power out of this thing. I'm just shooting for decent fuel mileage that my Duster can't even dream of and the fact that it will be very reliable. Even if my battery got stolen, I could wire tire the fuel shut off on and pop start the car and it would go anywhere I needed to go. Even if I had to use flash lights for head lights.

I am seeing that a lot of these swaps have cowl hoods. I am not wanting a cowl hood. I don't dislike them, but I'm not crazy about them ether. Now maybe if someone would put a little more style to one, I would like them more. Like for instance, instead of being straight up on the sides, give it more of a 45* or even rounded. I have had my eye on an AAR style Dart hood if I had to, but it would be ashame, because my hood shuts very nice as it is.

Thought, hood clearance may be a challenge. It will be easy to figure out compared to the oil pan. This is a pic of one in a 74 Satilite that has a shield around it for WHEN it scraps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 597
And here is one with the pan and drag link that was made to fit around it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 567
I think its cool what you are doing with the 4bt cummins. i was wanting to put in my Xwife,s 98 dodge, but we got divorced before anything got started. here is a vid you might like of a 4bt stuffed into a 69 Chevy slowmaro.lol

69 Cummins Camaro 4bt drag - YouTube

Yeah, that Camaro is pretty cool. My wife likes late 40s Chevy trucks. I was thinking if I could find a cheap one for her and putting a 4bt in it and she can ride around with the dog in the bed.

I am seeing that a lot of these swaps have cowl hoods. I am not wanting a cowl hood. I don't dislike them, but I'm not crazy about them ether. Now maybe if someone would put a little more style to one, I would like them more. Like for instance, instead of being straight up on the sides, give it more of a 45* or even rounded.

I have had my eye on an AAR style Dart hood if I had to, but it would be ashame, because my hood shuts very nice as it is.

Here is a glasstek hood on my old car and an AAR hood on my new car. The AAR hood is a POS.

Attachments

• 20150430_150814.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 01515_7sC0p8Lqx0U_600x450.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 538
  • 947400_10201040518644553_1110053745_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 534
  • 943197_10201040519284569_1106180996_n.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 522
  • 600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 540
  • 00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 597
I'm just surprised you used to work at Cummins but spelled it Cummings.

I'm just surprised you used to work at Cummins but spelled it Cummings.

Haha I apparent didn't correct my phone. I have been spelling correctly since and before. That one just got away.

Also, this is the hood when I ment AAR. Now that not to say they are any good ether though. Thought it is referred to as an SRT style hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 577
Mine could be good with about 1,000 to 1,500 in body work done to it.

Just be prepared... Mine didn't come ready to scuff and buff.

Mine could be good with about 1,000 to 1,500 in body work done to it.

Just be prepared... Mine didn't come ready to scuff and buff.

Well I really don't want one, but if I have to I may get this instead. That way I can keep my steel hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 577
You'll have as much money into buying a scoop for your steel hood as you will buying a glass hood and potentially having to deal with crap quality.

Pick your poison!!

Got the engine on the stand (which is really nice by the way), and I removed the turbo to take it and get it rebuilt and a bigger and billet compressor wheel put on it. This way it still spools good a low rpms, and it flows good at higher rpms, since I'm putting a 3,000 rpm springs in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 566
You'll have as much money into buying a scoop for your steel hood as you will buying a glass hood and potentially having to deal with crap quality.

Pick your poison!!

This,went glass scoop,& steel hood. By the time I was done,about the same amount of money,as buying a good quality bolt on glass hood... Sweet project, & something different..

This,went glass scoop,& steel hood. By the time I was done,about the same amount of money,as buying a good quality bolt on glass hood... Sweet project, & something different..

Thanks!!!!!

Also, I'm hoping I don't have to use ether one, but if I have to, thank you both for letting me know the add on steel I about the same amount as a good fiberglass one. The only real advantage would be that I have more choices if I were to add a scoop on, than I do with the full fiberglass ones.

Well, someone is interested in the Slant Six, so it looks like I'll be pulling the six out this weekend if time permits. :cheers:

Cool swap, good luck with it. I like diesels too. About 20 years ago I swapped a 6bt into my 75 Dodge B300 van, took a little bit of modifying things but the end result was worth it. Made an excellent tow vehicle, would get 20+ mpg on the e-way at 70 mph.

I'll be following this with interest.

Cool swap, good luck with it. I like diesels too. About 20 years ago I swapped a 6bt into my 75 Dodge B300 van, took a little bit of modifying things but the end result was worth it. Made an excellent tow vehicle, would get 20+ mpg on the e-way at 70 mph.

I'll be following this with interest.

That would be an awesome van!!!

Yesterday I found the 8.25 rear end I needed, with 2.45 gears, for the Dart. It was out of a Aspen R/T. So, I just need to replace the perches with the older style and adjust the wheel back spacing accordingly, it should fit pretty easily. Since it is about the same size as an A-body. I plan on getting disk brakes off a Jeep Cheeroke, to replace the drums.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 453
Finally had a chance to finish pulling the engine out. It's waiting for a new home after Christmas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 444
I got a lot of goodies today. I received most of my front suspension parts. All of it is from PST except the upper control arms, they are from QA1. The torsion bars are 1.03", the inner and outer tie rods are 11/16 instead of the 9/16 as well as the full steel adjuster sleeve, lower control arm stiffening plates, and the strut rod bushings are polygraphite. I'm waiting on the new lower control arm pins, as they are greaseable. That is also why I went with the QA1 upper control arms, as they are greaseable on the bushings. Those torsion bars are pretty beefy. I have no doubt that this thing should ride and handle good, even with all the weight of the engine.

I also bought a full set of KYB gas shocks, that I forgot to take a picture of.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 412
-
Back