5.9 magnum in duster results!!

-

1bad360duster

Reaction score
Hi guys i know there are a few here with these engines that run well. heres the run down on the car.
98 Jeep magnum motor- said to have 55,000 miles
Edelbrock intake with an old 650 we rebuilt
Stock rockers
Longer pushrods to take up the slack from the reground cam...searched through summit until i found a 5/16 that had the length we needed i think they were 80.00
Reground used cam from Scott Brown, Mopar perf springs and retainers spec by Scott
Summit timing chain
Ebay car oil pan with a baffle i welded in it
Heads were never off the engine
old 360la stock dist that welded so its locked out, ran best at 40*
PTC 2800 11 inch converter thats just a lil tighter than Scott originally wanted us to run, its 500 rpm tighter for nitrous use, and yea the car leaves a little lazy
old used headers and 3" X pipe kit with Hooker 3.5 Aerochambers that he got handed down

4.10 gears in an Explorer 8.8

The car was 3170 with driver, we never even changed the plugs...same plugs that were in there from the junkyard !!

first pass off the trailer was a 12.46 at 109 best of the day was 12.31 at 110. car could use a little tuning and an air pan still. then onto some nitrous. very happy with it.
here is a pic.
joered.jpg

nice that is the engine i was thinking about using for my next build great to hear it runs that good

thanks. bought the engine for 350$ from the junkyard. got a great deal. with a looser convertor it would be very close to 11s na. crazy for what it is. also forgot trans has 2.75 first it a 904

Nice, I love using junkyard parts to make the car quick.

Very nice!

5.9 Magnum is the best bang for the buck Mopar guys ever had.

My heads were both cracked right out of the wrecking yard, so good find there.

Is your car an original 74 360 Duster? Pretty awesome looking car.

Steve

the car was a 318 car. yellow and gold interior. we just redid the car. i see you have gotten your et down considerably since i had read here last lx guy. what have you changed?

the car was a 318 car. yellow and gold interior. we just redid the car. i see you have gotten your et down considerably since i had read here last lx guy. what have you changed?

I haven't changed a whole lot, I just finally quit having stupid problems. haha

Mostly tuning stuff (launch RPM, shock settings, timing, etc) but the big changes I made, I foolishly did simultaneously.

I had too much gear, and I wanted to ditch the street Avenger and get a "real" carb. So I swapped the 4.10 for a 3.91 and put on a Quickfuel 750. Of course it turned out the 670 was the restriction and the car happily turns enough RPM to merit a 4.10 gear. And of course it was the last time I ran it last season, and I haven't gotten out this year yet.

Disappointing because I know better than to do that. Oh well.

So my new best time is slightly undergeared, and I've only got one set of passes on the new carb so its not even close to perfect yet.

Hunting up a set of 4.30s. Also got a Victor intake I might try. Probably won't try both at the same time...

Good luck with your car, it looks GREAT.

Steve

Lol,you proved a few guys wrong by running rather quick with a magnum head!

The Magnum head issue is with very high lifting cams and there stabilty with the set up.

Speaking of cams, what is the re-ground spec of the cam and it's cost?
Nice run, nice car.

I love the stance! Great looking and running car. Your proving it's possible to go fast without breaking the bank. Your car should be featured in several of the car mags under the "Look Good Go Fast for Cheap" banners. Very nice job! Sport

Nice running car & it looks great, Now it doesn't surprise me that it runs so well, Sounds like you have alittle more cam then i did, I ran alot of 8.0s & 12.5s @ 104-105 with my junkyard magnum short block, RHS heads, small re-ground cam & bolt-ons, 3.73s & an 11" 2800 stall, nothing fancy by any means. 60fts. adveraged 1.79-1.80s. I shifted at 5100.

wondering how hard was it to put the explorer 8.8 rear in the car? is it worth it to go that route vs an 8 3/4? thanks! -Dan

-
Back