500 HP on Low Compression

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I had a guy tell me the other day he could get a 360 small block LA to push 500 HP with 8.5:1 compression and no nitrous. I call crap on this one. Any possible way?

it is possible...look at a NHRA Super Stock engine...roller cam...ported cast iron heads...No W2 heads just plain old 308 heads...

but the price is tag is high

I had a guy tell me the other day he could get a 360 small block LA to push 500 HP with 8.5:1 compression and no nitrous. I call crap on this one. Any possible way?

Sure it would be easy with boost.

Ya it's possible, but if this guy you talked to isn't a master race engine builder/machinist he ain't doing it!

True, you will have to know what your doing.
Previous thread on here about compression vs. head flow. Which is better?

The compression increase is to offset the cams overlap that causes very low compression. A very low compression results in a soft performance output compared to a higher compression. The given or general result in a increase is approx. 3% per ratio point. But the effiecientcy result goes up on larger cams.

super stockers, sound like 13 to 1 comp ratio motors, head flow creates cylinder pressure, which is more power.
they are limited on port size and valve size. port velocity is high in their heads. 500 hp is possible.

Horsepower is torque over time. All you have to do is rev it (more power events per minute) and it will make that number on lower compression. It just won't have the snap in the low to mid rpm ranges.

If he did have a 500hp 8.5:1 compression engine, I bet it would be a lousy engine to drive on the street compared to a 500hp 4" stroker 408/416 with 9.5:1 compression.

Just put a blower or turbocharger on it and go. A guy near me has an LA 360 with a pretty mild flat tappet cam and 9:1 compression I think, a single turbocharger on it, I was talking to him and it dynoed at a bit over 500 WHP, sounds unreal!

-
Back