512 Stroker - Complete Purchase

-

Boedighw

Reaction score
Guys,

Good morning. '72 Duster with a 318/904 right now, with a 8-1/4 rear end. Was planning to go big block as the heads seem to flow better for something around 400ci. I seem to be getting mission creep...

Got a '78 440 complete in a trade, needs machining work and assembly.

Purchased 440source.com heads and rockers for $1000 a month ago.

Same engine the heads came off, have the option to purchase the short block. Is a running 512 all assembled ready to go for $2500. Cam is a .510 lift, owner is e-mailing the rest of the specs, but was the largest the stock springs could take.

This seems to good of a deal to walk away from.

1) Is this going to be streetable?
2) I have a large aluminum radiator now, any issues with cooling?
3) what is the estimated HP?
3a) Need to upgrade rear end someday
4) I know I need sub frame connectors, my uncle says I may need a roll bar now to keep the chassis stable, is this needed as well?

Essentially looking for any input from owners of 440 or larger that drive them on the street.

Thanks!

Guys,

Good morning. '72 Duster with a 318/904 right now, with a 8-1/4 rear end. Was planning to go big block as the heads seem to flow better for something around 400ci. I seem to be getting mission creep...

Got a '78 440 (Plan A) complete in a trade, needs machining work and assembly.

Purchased 440source.com heads and rockers for $1000 a month ago.

Same engine the heads came off, have the option to purchase the short block. Is a running 512 (Plan B) all assembled ready to go for $2500. Cam is a .510 lift, owner is e-mailing the rest of the specs, but was the largest the stock springs could take.

This seems to good of a deal to walk away from.

1) Is this going to be streetable?
2) I have a large aluminum radiator now, any issues with cooling?
3) what is the estimated HP?
3a) Need to upgrade rear end someday
4) I know I need sub frame connectors, my uncle says I may need a roll bar now to keep the chassis stable, is this needed as well?

Essentially looking for any input from owners of 440 or larger that drive them on the street.

Thanks!

if the short block is in good shape that is a very good deal id jump on it in a heart beat

What are you going to do with the car? It will have the torque of a dump truck (lol) but that doesn't mean you need a rollbar. I do like the price of it though. You can build on this down the road. I have owned a 540ci street car without a bar and the only problems it had was because I created it with my clutch setup and that was a track only issue. It was completely streetable though...

Streetable lies within the drivers range of tolerance.

I have a B body Magnum, 360/727, 2000 stall and 3.55 gears on 26-1/2 tires. Drive anywhere at anytime, no problem. Approx. HP, just 300.

I also have a Duster, 400/727-8-3/4 rear with 4.88's and 28 inch tires, single plane, 800cfm carb, it will drive anywhere at at anytime. But it may take a while to get there.

PS, good move to a big block for better flowing heads. A small block struggles past the low 300 cfm range.

If your going to use all that cfm wisely for power, you'll soar past a small block. It thensmall block can be very quick even though it's parts aren't as well endowed as a big block can be.

Streetable lies within the drivers range of tolerance.

I have a B body Magnum, 360/727, 2000 stall and 3.55 gears on 26-1/2 tires. Drive anywhere at anytime, no problem. Approx. HP, just 300.

I also have a Duster, 400/727-8-3/4 rear with 4.88's and 28 inch tires, single plane, 800cfm carb, it will drive anywhere at at anytime. But it may take a while to get there.

PS, good move to a big block for better flowing heads. A small block struggles past the low 300 cfm range.

If your going to use all that cfm wisely for power, you'll soar past a small block. It thensmall block can be very quick even though it's parts aren't as well endowed as a big block can be.
complete big block stroker short block for $2500? what`s wrong with it ? must be a dud.

It is 440source.com stuff, assuming he had them balance it and had the machine shop throw it together. I have it in the good deal category, not screaming to the bank yet (perhaps if he would call me back now).

'72 Duster Goals
1) 3.55 gears
2) 280 duration cam or smaller
3) no faster than 11.49

The goal with the 440 was an easy 500hp I could put together in the garage. Having a pro build the 727 and waiting to pick the converter.

Any other opinions on a +500ci weekend driver?

Found one issue, they are the flat top pistons, yielding 11.5:1 compression with my currnet aluminum heads.

I have had mixed reviews about that high of compression. Shouldn't be an issue if I keep the timing slightly retarded, correct?

Oh, really good idea. Buy someone else's poorly designed engine and try to make it work. There are so many things that could be wrong here you would need to write a book about it.

That and .....

A retarded timing engine looses more power than anything else that could be wrong with the cars set up including to small of a miss adjusted carb.

That thinking is just silly!

That and .....

A retarded timing engine looses more power than anything else that could be wrong with the cars set up including to small of a miss adjusted carb.

That thinking is just silly!
if the short block is real, and built right, in good shape, why not go to a bigger cc head to knock the comp. down to under 11 ? you might unshroud the valves and gain a couple cc`s, depending on ur bore size.

If you can solve the compression issue maybe with Cometic head gaskets, it would be a fun combo. The thing will be a torque monster, and torque is fun on the street. Ignore the dump truck/tractor comments, mine has run a best of 11.53 with 3.55 gears on drag radials, through the mufflers. I have subframe connectors but no roll cage.

Oh, really good idea. Buy someone else's poorly designed engine and try to make it work. There are so many things that could be wrong here you would need to write a book about it.

X2. For me, this is like buying a Hemi crate engine. You are simply buying a set of used parts. It will need to be taken completely apart, inspection and changes made, and then put it back together. IMO a complete aluminum headed 512 (are you sure it's not a 505?) for $3500 is a steal. But that's asuming the rosier side for everything. Reality is it won't be rosey. The comment about "largest cam for stock sprngs" right there says the guy has no clue.

Reason I asked about the size is the kit is marketed as a 512", but that means the block is already +.060. If he doesn;t have a sonic test report for that block I'd low ball him too.

X2. For me, this is like buying a Hemi crate engine. You are simply buying a set of used parts. It will need to be taken completely apart, inspection and changes made, and then put it back together. IMO a complete aluminum headed 512 (are you sure it's not a 505?) for $3500 is a steal. But that's asuming the rosier side for everything. Reality is it won't be rosey. The comment about "largest cam for stock sprngs" right there says the guy has no clue.

Well, the engine shop doesn't remember assembling a 512 and the receipts are for a bore job only. Going to pass on this one, great deal for someone but really just a pile of parts.

I just wanted to be different enough to have a big block, not really interested in a 500+. The 440source heads I already have and suspension won't really support much larger than a 440ci anyway.

Going to shop for a 383 for the rest of summer, since they will fit better.

-
Back