6.1 cam swap. Big deal?

-
CAUTION: The timing chain must be installed with the single plated link aligned with the dot and or paint marking on the camshaft sprocket. The crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the dot and or paint marking on the sprocket between two plated timing chain links.

CAUTION: The camshaft pin and the slot in the cam sprocket must be clocked at 12:00. The crankshaft keyway must be clocked at 2:00. The crankshaft sprocket must be installed so that the dots and or paint marking is at 6:00.

did you turn the engine one revolution and checked the chain again? Where did you find the markings on the chain? same position?

no. they move. the chain markings are an additional help when you remove the sprockets and put them back. that shows nothing moved like when you clamped sprocket and chain together. especially when you have no clear marks like here. In europe I am used to have dots on the sprockets and on the body. never seen markings on the chain. The chain can go in any position.
anyway, i put the 2 o'clock and 12 o'clock position. engine turn free with the starter. Now i'm waiting for the valve spring locators to install and fire it up.
I don't want that before everything is 100% correct. because of those tight valve to piston clearance now

My timing set came with the links and sprockets orientated already and held in place by rubberbands out of the box. So I literally kept them just as delivered and lined up the keyways on the engine to the sprockets, tightened them down, released the tensioner pin and hung the degree wheel. It was bang on first try, I have never in my life had an easier cam install.

guess thats what its for. installation help when putting pre assembled chain and sprockets out of the box on the motor. no change anymore when cam and crank are positioned. but... turn the engine one revolution and the marks are history :D

guess thats what its for. installation help when putting pre assembled chain and sprockets out of the box on the motor. no change anymore when cam and crank are positioned. but... turn the engine one revolution and the marks are history :D

That is because the cam only went 180 degrees, turn the crank another 360 and they "should" be lined back up again.

I honestly never looked at the marks again after install. It is very possible once the tensioner is "tensioned" they will never line up again afterwards.

I put a couple reference marks with a paint pen on the gears so I could roll it over and check it, with the chain marked there shouldn't be problems, but I checked anyways...

-
Back