'65 A-body 8 3/4" Sure-Grip 4.10 in a '67 Barracuda?

-

jcwren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a full 8 3/4" axle with a 4.10 Sure-Grip. I'm told it's from a '65 A-body (although not sure which one), and it'd be going in my '67 Barracuda that's been 360 Magnum/A883 swapped and molested with a GM 8.2 rear end by the previous owner.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work and I should pass on it? Would I even need to move the spring perches?

Thanks!

No reason to pass on it. if it’s an original A body 8.75 it’s a direct bolt in. As already mentioned the only thing that may give grief is if the moved the spring relocations in to make more room for tires. Easy to over come that with offset spring hangers, or if you had to just move them back.

regardless if it’s a deal?? $$ just get it no matter what. They are hard to find period

43” perch centers, and the splitter block for the pre-70 housing is on the hump of the center, 70 and later would be down on the drivers side tube some.

Chances are the 8 3/4" rear started somewhere else, and was put in there by someone prior. '65 was a long time ago, and that rear end combo made it into few A bodies in that early year. As said above, research and check it out.

Chances are the 8 3/4" rear started somewhere else, and was put in there by someone prior. '65 was a long time ago, and that rear end combo made it into few A bodies in that early year. As said above, research and check it out.
Chances are 100% that if it’s original that it didn’t come with the 4:10, as that was not an available option in an A body

Need a shorter drive shaft or have yours shorten and balanced. Possibly a pinion yoke change if it has the large yoke(7290) as yours swill have the small (7260) yoke. Kim

I have a chance to pick up a full 8 3/4" axle with a 4.10 Sure-Grip. I'm told it's from a '65 A-body (although not sure which one), and it'd be going in my '67 Barracuda that's been 360 Magnum/A883 swapped and molested with a GM 8.2 rear end by the previous owner.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work and I should pass on it? Would I even need to move the spring perches?

Thanks!

Depending on the cost, I'd get it just to have it...

That said, unpopular opinion time:

...I'm not a terribly big fan of changing things purely for the sake of changing them-the change needs to have a functional or at the very least cosmetic benefit, to me. The GM 8.2 10 bolt is actually a pretty robust unit if it's configured and maintained correctly, and I'm pretty sure the A bodies produced south of the border used a version of a GM sourced axle, and the car doesn't know any different. If the 65 Dart I picked up a couple years ago had a properly configured and installed 8.2 10 bolt, (rather than the 7.25 in there) I'd be perfectly fine with it. Hell, I'd even buy parts for it to upgrade posi, if needed, unless I fell into one hell of a deal with an 8 3/4, which is exceedingly rare.

-
Back