65 Barracuda 1st time GONNA NEED ADVICE

-

tandpr

Reaction score
I bought a 65 barracuda with a 273. Hole in a piston and spun rods. No thanks. Swapped in a 318 from a 79 or so LeBaron. Did just a tad bit of grinding on the heads and valves. Bought a 268 magnum muscle cam kit, edlebrock performer rpm air gap intake, 600cfm holley, re-build kit.... I think that's it. Dropped it in with points ignition. Scrapped that and went with a bastardized GM/Mopar/MSD Blaster electronic system. It has a 3 speed for now but will likely get an auto when I feel like messin with it. I welded a new spare tire well in it. I replaced the trunk seal and "fixed" a trunk hinge. It needs lots more work, but looks decent and is fun to drive (as fun as it can be with a 3 speed). I will get pics up soon.

OK first item of help. Manual steering and it is less than safe when squirrely in corners. It does not seem to be loose in the joints and i tried just tightening the steering box. I am looking at going to a quicker gear box. Proly have to stay manual as when I go to auto trans headers will be a priority then. With the zbar and 3 speed linkages...no way. So anybody got any suggestions? I have found the $300-$600 dollar boxes in some searches on here but later model swamp ins is more my style. Bolt various junk together to make 1 unique piece :)

downsize_1.jpg

downsize_3.jpg

downsize_2.jpg

downsize.jpg

I would check strut rod bushings, upper and lower ball joints, Upper and lower control arm bushings and go from there. Worn rubber bushings can cause all kinds of problems with wandering.

It also looks higher in the rear which puts your caster into crazy territory. A good alignment with additional caser may do you wonders.

It is higher in the rear. Someone put wheels on it that are too far outset and it has to be high to clear tires/fenders. I am looking at fixing that eventually when I uprgrade the rearend, but will likely still have it some higher as I like that look. I will scope out the bushing situation. You can tell someone has replaceed them, but that doesn't mean they are good and tight. Never thought of the alignment much. Thanks guys

I replaced the steer box in my 66 as the housing was cracked.... it was squirrelly also.Had front end aligned...BIG BIG difference. Going to change all 4 shocks this winter. Looks like a swell 65!!!!

I would check strut rod bushings, upper and lower ball joints, Upper and lower control arm bushings and go from there. Worn rubber bushings can cause all kinds of problems with wandering.

X2. My '64 was scary to drive on the freeway, wandered all over the place, even with new tie rod ends. Bushings were all cracking. I'll bet yours are still original....40+ years old!

I replaced the steer box in my 66 as the housing was cracked.... it was squirrelly also.Had front end aligned...BIG BIG difference. Going to change all 4 shocks this winter. Looks like a swell 65!!!!

Thanks! Not sure it will ever be Spectacular, but it will be fun to play with :)

As much as I love cragars.... they had to go :( They were set out too far causing the back to have to be way up in the air. I redrilled my axles to 4.5 inch pattern and put some Ford wheels on it. They are 15" alloy of some sort. I put a 245/60-15 on there and it fits wonderfully. Let ALLL the air out of the air shocks and it sets right down over them 60's. I was considering drilling the front but it looks a little iffy to me with that cast hub. I have a couple leads on some 73-76 duster parts cars. Gonna see if I can cabbage onto some disc set ups with 4.5 pattern for the WIN! I will post a pic. If anyone knows what these wheels are would love to know. I got them off an early 80's short bed step side ford.

Yes the tire is bald as Mr. Clean but it is what I had in the bone pile to test size. Now I just need to get some new ones.

I would like to get some center caps but not sure how to go about that. Any ideas?

Welcome!!I'm in Wichita & i think we spoke about some disc brakes,nice looking ride,Lawrence

Your car is heading towards 50 years old. I would suggest a full front end rebuild followed by an alignment.

All in do time. Money right now is going towards things I can see a difference on :) But I think you are right. I was looking at some bushings under there and they are pretty dry and cracked up.

Welcome!!I'm in Wichita & i think we spoke about some disc brakes,nice looking ride,Lawrence

Probably was me. Do I go to the top of the list now :) I have a car that may work but it is nearly 4 hours away and has been hit on the front corner. I really don't wanna drive for 4 hours to find out it is not usable. But I will if I have to. rather have MOPAR parts on it than Wilwood(after market disc/4.5 conversion). Just my preference.

I bought a 74 Duster that has been through a police pursuit that ended in the dusters demise in a grove of trees. I am going to use it to swap my front to disc and 4.5" bolt pattern. It has a 318 (as does my car) and it has headers on it. What are the chances that the headers will fit in my engine compartment? I think the duster has a bit more room to work with, right? May find out or may just keep manifolds. Seems to run pretty good with the manifolds and they are already on there :)

So I got the duster parts on. Well in the wheel well anyway. I still need to swap the master cylinder. The little single compartment jobber on the barracuda has to be pumed to move enough fluid to make the disc stop. And it won't turn very short at all now. Gonna have to work on that a bit too. But all and all it was a quick relatively easy swap. Thanks to this forum for helpin me get the info to do it!

Forgot to mention I put new control arm upper/lower bushings, strut rod bushings, ball joints on in the process and I am playing with ride height a bit. When I get it all lined out it will be t othe alignment shop and then new treads :) Nothin like the first burnout on a brand new tire. Can't wait LOL

My charger had a similar problem replaced whole front end then found out it was I think its called rag bushing? On my steering box quick change and it was way nicer to drive lol

I bought a 74 Duster that has been through a police pursuit that ended in the dusters demise in a grove of trees. I am going to use it to swap my front to disc and 4.5" bolt pattern. It has a 318 (as does my car) and it has headers on it. What are the chances that the headers will fit in my engine compartment? I think the duster has a bit more room to work with, right? May find out or may just keep manifolds. Seems to run pretty good with the manifolds and they are already on there :)

The headers wont fit our early A`s are narrower. You are moving pretty fast on this car. Looking good.

The headers wont fit our early A`s are narrower. You are moving pretty fast on this car. Looking good.

That is what I thought. The way it runs with the manifolds and the effort it takes to put headers on..... I will proly just keep the manifolds at least for the forseeable future.

Ground the bump stops off the duster lower ball joints and now I get more turn. The calipers are hitting the lower control arm so I guess its prolly as good as its going to get. I haven't driven it, but it looks like it still isn't going to turn very short.

Any body know if I can fit the power steering box off the duster in my barracuda? I think I may give it a shot. Manual steering and rally wheel = PITA in parking lots.

I love winter. Too cold to do anything so I start a fire in the garage and spend some time on the ride :)

-
Back