65 Barracuda daily driver

-
Still not a good picture, but thought it would give you an idea of the height of mine with 6 springs. It might settle a little once the glass, bumper and trunk goes back on

WP_20160909_16_18_59_Pro.jpg

Oh wow, that sits a lot higher than mine, but I like it. Though, when I talked to ESPO, they told me the number of springs does not affect the height. You can ask for +1" springs, regardless of the number of springs. I think standard height will be fine with me. It appears to me that the top of the rim should be within an inch or two of the wheel well. Like in this ad:
plymouthbarracuda-ad.jpg

Anyways, yesterday I started installing the carpet and new seat belts.

S25B50RoLeDU9FNVjLhb-adsQwJPhEtb12uEdN224xfYmYLqDo_80vDf68q75zAAE6PqphdZvoTyUb3goX=w1228-h921-no.jpg

ueQvsacVwzHRtZoBBXXdvNcms602XTkU6XpAnwnNszrEgd6aJlZRBemDkVJFCoXmOOc40R9b6s9RRFtHVM=w1228-h921-no.jpg

I still need to take more pictures. Unfortunately I had to put the old (BMW) seats back in. The new seat covers and foam that I ordered from Jegs mid-July are still not even made... Their supplier PUI has some sort of production problem and I probably won't get them until late October... I was pretty upset when they told me (after I called 4 times), especially because on their website they were still listed as shipping in two weeks. I also send them an email and they responded with a $40 rebate. That's nice I guess. I still rather had the seats than the money...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the 6 springs would make it sit higher, but was a heavy duty spring
Mine sites very even front to rear. Good luck on your project. It looks really great

Oh wow, that sits a lot higher than mine, but I like it. Though, when I talked to ESPO, they told me the number of springs does not affect the height. You can ask for +1" springs, regardless of the number of springs. I think standard height will be fine with me. It appears to me that the top of the rim should be within an inch or two of the wheel well. Like in this ad:
plymouthbarracuda-ad.jpg

New carpet makes a world of difference, especially the red!
Regarding the springs, I got mine from ESPO, like everyone else says, they were extremely helpful and shipped fast. I got +1" and it gave a very noticeable rake and changed the handling, neither of which was an improvement. If you get stock height I'd be willing to bet you'll be pleased, it should sit just right.

Just caught myself up on your thread. GREAT work!! Your car looks awesome stilling along the curb. Looks like it could be 1965!!

Thanks! I just ordered (6 leaf) springs from ESPO today. Just the standard, not +1", but I wanted the heavy duty ones, because I often transport heavy gear in the car . I also ordered new shocks and bushings from Rockauto and received the new 1.03" torsion bars from PST today.

OKfGTojkgV0AnGobi5GJ2OrVWArrhdmeUsFgtoaIhYyThJ_ljx9IVRrcDZ9sYMVv1f7aGlqy2udWRTu1T0eJEnFv35cn0_zdlS_PGv2rVn6H3os2lF1pPlODAkjMVJJQE6whRXYrt1IDV-EWJEMiSZ89yVJ31Jk9o_BiGwfp9lexJ4Fqt1mDWSNaj6N8Ale1UdvxXlkfHiVYO_BHHFy4p1HC6iUk6BpeEdxrGVsE7la_T6AWrMp73qEygQWam6PzouBLIgVxL8EJaIKy5csFOUhOO1MXcgv9rBYvKFXyLDMObahtr5vKT1YdPFCiBVIx9Zg3p_7GhuPfuwiJg1-KJoEzCQhNGIOeMrcIsn1K0FIy6_SSSmtj7W3cgNCuoBdJf7MzXYFS3sG6QXbfoTjG8lj69Dm-L3eAcyMo8DaQ5QwTcTFlyLjJMg7mum7plfzLTtcxduwRDDU7exShC3bOgRbwIfpiBmx6f6mlf7SVXdCko9WjsmGyytSR7fVxbkkwfSr2YW0Z-o4TefTAwIFu9GF96Dyrn26NZHd1bP-AV6EGvJasQwSla-GXX0bfsTcTEo_KYmI_C9Af47n7DqDhN9qzARaKrQ0T-SxC7_VYpjGDovEy=w474-h631-no

I hope I'll have time to put them in soon, but I'll have to catch up with work first. It's just more fun working on the car...

It is certainly much more fun working on our cars...unfortunately it usually means money outflows instead of inflows. lol. You have been REALLY industrious with your car recently!!!! And it shows!!

I can't wait to see how the springs make the rear sit.

Haha, I was working day and night not too long ago and so I've been taking it easy the last few weeks. I'm a freelancer, so some weeks I work a lot and some weeks I have time to do fun things. Luckily I've been getting some higher paying jobs lately, so I decided to use some of that money to finally complete the suspension and the interior. Unfortunately the interior will have to wait until I get the seat foam and covers that I ordered mid-July. They're supposed to be here late October/ early November. The springs are supposed to ship within a week or two. The shocks that I ordered from Rockauto yesterday were delivered today- that was so fast (I didn't pay extra for faster shipping).
Speaking of work, though, one of my clients saw my Barracuda today and she told me her brother has a '66 Barracuda and she showed me a photo. That was definitely a show car... Powder Blue with a white stripe and Cragar S/S, I believe. Their grandfather bought it new and always took good care of it and then gave it to her brother, who restored it.

I finally parked on a flat street (not that many in this area of LA) to take a reference photo for a before and after with the new springs:

YOZ_ejdg4Y3kXTh54T_7WcVIMBI6NApm_IW9D0_85aphnxqJihjxBTT2WP6k4z4AFLGd7X92aVef_yQa6m=w1215-h911-no.jpg

Still haven't had time to work on the car, but I got my ESPO heavy duty leaf springs delivered today. Haha, I feel sorry for the UPS man, together they weigh about 80lbs and he had to carry them up the stairs to my house. Hopefully this weekend I can get the leaf springs, shocks and torsion bars installed.

JlnqG58y2zGCyJGVBo421kwD63mM6wtfVegPCBaY6FnsWg5Va-0mREl6sgzlPFCyKTHFZJn797iZpxOb0d=w810-h1080-no.jpg

HKEeIFZ7PT_7Hz1cotbAKL-Mg6x3LcTWnmrnGFUaur6DLnq12cU77ZK3F6YUzfJAkXRf2B3jU1u8ifNnQ=w1440-h1080-no.jpg

Alright, I installed the new torsion bars today. It was really easy and I think I got it done in about 2 hours. I guess it also helped that I had them out about a month ago. I took the car for a spin around the block, but didn't notice much of a difference yet. The new ones are definitely beefier (and cleaner):

0dTUhcQrSdyEObIjFCwdDkvL8nA4l5q5jkvfZFtdxHpmyzMcO_z_ZndJecoBBKr85CklTfYB3JOVECxpr=w1375-h1031-no.jpg

I measured the ride height before and got it to the same 25" like it was before. The adjuster had to come out a lot more though.

PIjGGVEVOLna4m4UxLw6tlym3_mFXTAPFcAMb8CpwVaeVHXUu0SbBE_jXzQr0yj75V_6g0CA8N_c_T2aB=w1375-h1031-no.jpg

Then I soaked everything in WD-40 and started on the leaf springs, but the eye bolt does not want to come out. I had the entire leaf spring out, but I need to reuse the leaf spring hangers. It was even harder to get a socket wrench on the nut with the leaf spring out. It got dark, so I stopped trying. I think tomorrow I will put it all back together as is and take it to the shop. With my tools I won't get any further.

Still didn't get the leaf springs installed. But I got the radio bezel back from GCar and it looks amazing! The picture doesn't do it justice.

3ClWceWN8yALAsE4ow6Y6xhUOnIe9L3jwmqFBjiS-au_lTV6HuJ6BaMdgoFyl32NWWymoPc080o6_pX6B=w1440-h1080-no.jpg

Still haven't installed the leaf springs... I drove out to Joshua Tree/ Yucca Valley for a friend's birthday. First the speedo started spinning out of control, so I disconnected it. Then the slant overheated a little on a long grade. I pulled over and let it cool down. No issues after that.

3hl9hh_J1OOliRj0N1_9NipDeB0BLAgB8fU7IvGCINKvEv112t2qj25eCcSm-4rr1BgGh9YrS5dBLouWG=w1440-h1080-no.jpg

mCUPL347MlndTdTs7isLL0ApoUJ67Bwdbp8yljyYlmhAPe34tOnOygs2gOtJhK4BJxNxp9BZa2qJQ54Cd=w1440-h1080-no.jpg

I also finally got the seat covers and foam. Unfortunately I have a ton of work to do right now, but I hope I can get them done soon!

Those pictures of your Barracuda in Joshua Tree look awesome!! That's quite a trip!! Joshua Tree is on my bucket list.

I'm over 50 years old and I get a hot sometimes so I guess its to be expected out of our 50+ year old cars...

From where I live in L.A. it's "only" 160 miles to Joshua Tree- it was still the longest trip I had done in the car in a while!

I thought even from L.A. it was still a hike! Kudos to you and your 65!!!!

I know you're still working on it, but your car looks great!!

I still don't have much time, but I test sprayed one my old door panels with vinyl paint. I have some that are in much better condition, but they have all this dirt burned into it. I'm pretty happy with the results - the photo does not do it justice. Hopefully the next couple of days I can spray all 4 of them. I have another issue, though. While driving the doors are rattling a lot. Do you guys have any ideas how to fix that? I already replaced the fabric that is on that door opening rod and I think it will get better once the door panels are on, but I find it very annoying and would like to eliminate it.

woze0MNRxcQrQixNF0-HuzX1Gv5pvlbCtkhUxKeEjRYbyhHDuivauZeJdwsbKlqs9YoZE01MEg=w1440-h1080-no.jpg

Door panel turned out really nice!

Not sure what could be rattling in your door. Are you sure its not the glass? Before you put the door panels back on make sure to reuse the plastic barrier back between the door panel and door. It will help protect the panel and provide just a little noise insulation.

I finally got around to spraying all the door panels and installing them. Especially the front ones needed about 8 coats to cover the burned-in dirt... They got a little wavy when the paint hadn't dried yet, but that went away once they were installed. I also started on the seats, but that's a lot harder than I thought. I can't wait until they are installed, though.

CeL75kHAWzpCfeKIV4f2zZASyfvgw7U8G0k3GqjEtaMCEuCSWLcFrBhtWQTUBMIcI670B2crWp6if-CoMe=w774-h1031-no.jpg

eozP8Oc3M1tcEJ0FKJXUYaRGBwqbmbVDMCqFi75BG9hk03Gd5eOMuH0-_C5963MrHNP2We3UlYAwGycGiZ=w774-h1031-no.jpg

2636PlzMadNhmflP6osxRcT-JRd6NWXkT0lJ__tXj8HCCaVnXds5qlamJED-OWNIwLaqmZu2xkMB8Zcsh=w1375-h1031-no.jpg

LbhhlBgXbuIY29vnOHwkymjrT6WbVHEi0Qz-91MDuXrM2AqMhvHqjVDuvxr4IVI1X9qXioKCQ6QVP0X57=w1375-h1031-no.jpg

z3wsXXZCN3lYXc8aYfaHj85rO73k5iNdOtmRxooFvT_i_6OL5FuFIDidMZDBeywhJHyVB0afjCV2aeU4F5=w774-h1031-no.jpg

vcbZN4vnQD-oaUvFpWRLyFBQ8KzHr1pYa2bW6bcXeN7uXbh6SU3dP7xfRYGruDtimn_CaczDmls69a90Yi=w774-h1031-no.jpg

I reinforced the the panel with some glued-on business cards. I hope it helps at least a little bit.

x3ov7I8ACHihPvauUgg_fgvJx58NEfLpSoBrj6305KnUX-aqsuEjrp3BFYwQxtCH3aZaGm2sBA2GhPNWgD=w774-h1031-no.jpg

XLhicE3YbKYutPu3zcoiezXGA7sB17UK2rh8ffnmd_B8TRuYHAAeDW_wFdeOg3vQcu5nkNA2_BrOgtdeo=w1375-h1031-no.jpg

Wow what a difference in your before and after pics. That interior looks fantastic, shows what some good hard work will do!
:thumbsup:

-
Back