657 HP with a 509 cam? Not by me!

-
Pretty simple. Everyone knows what OOTB RPM heads flow like. I've seen them vary from bench to bench. None the less, that's just not enough cylinder head OR camshaft to support 650+ horsepower. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just personally don't buy it...

Wouldn't matter anyway. Crank horsepower doesn't always translate into ET. I often race a firebird that makes 200 more HP at the wheels than I do and runs 1/2 second slower in the 1/4.

Hell yeah it would matter. Dyno numbers don't mean much without a timeslip. If this engine were in a 3200lb car running high 9's at 136mph, people would believe the big dyno number. That's all I was getting at. Until that happens, it's just a happy dyno number to sell engines.

I get what Roccodart440 is saying. There are cars that can make all kinds of rwhp, but either can't put it down because of tuning issues, or bad driving. And also, there are people who are either full of poo, or actually believe they are making a certain amount of power... I personally don't care about dyno numbers. I view a dyno as a tool. If you want to know what kind of power you're making, take the car to the track, weigh it and do the math. ;)

The biggest tool the engine builders use to sell engines is the dyno numbers.........It happens right on this site too, post big HP numbers, but NEVER any results from the track. The only way to compare HP on a dyno, is back to back on the same dyno.

Dont think the 114 LSA was around many years. It sure isnt the one in their engine.

According to the initial post it is.

I get what Roccodart440 is saying. There are cars that can make all kinds of rwhp, but either can't put it down because of tuning issues, or bad driving. And also, there are people who are either full of poo, or actually believe they are making a certain amount of power... I personally don't care about dyno numbers. I view a dyno as a tool. If you want to know what kind of power you're making, take the car to the track, weigh it and do the math. ;)

Exactly. My car weighs 3200 pounds and goes 11.70's @ 114 on street tires, pump swill and full exhaust. What are my dyno numbers? Guess what, never had anyone believe me when I tell them the answer.

My assumption is not an idiot tuning or driving the car. Any moron can make a car slower and make the math not work. The assumption on my part is they do have a fairly well scienced out package. I'd even go as far as to say there are more dyno'd engines running slower numbers than the math says because they don't actually make that power, than ones that actually do make their numbers but it's all wasted on a poor chassi or driver.
Dyno results can be manipulated on all kinds of levels and are rarely an accurate simulator of what a specific engine will do running in a specific car. Chassis dynos have the potential to be a little more realistic but again they can be manipulated too. And yet dyno numbers are always posted as if they have some meaning beyond that engine on that day in that dyno room with that operator.

Second line in my sig!
A crummy chassis, bad tires, bloated car weight, etc.... Will kill track times. No matter how powerful the power plant is.

Excellent chassis, good tires, light weight car, etc.... Will allow a lowly powered engine to shine like a star. An old member here (not any more though) had a 360 Duster with a small Crane 216/224-.454/.480 running low 12's high 11's. Not bad for a low comp pump swill machine.

Ahhhh Moper, you know how it is....

Man exclaims! "My engine made *** on the dyno!" While actually meaning, I have a bad *** engine and you don't! Braggarts? Possibly.....
I plan to dyno my next mill. I'll tell you all what it makes. But it is a tool that in that day did *** which is fine. But tomorrow is another day and the weather changes. And at the track, more than the weather will change!

According to the initial post it is.

Exactly. My car weighs 3200 pounds and goes 11.70's @ 114 on street tires, pump swill and full exhaust. What are my dyno numbers? Guess what, never had anyone believe me when I tell them the answer.

Probably not as much as people think... Time slips are all about the optimization of the complete package. Horsepower doesn't mean jack, if the rest of the car isn't optimized to go along with it.

As Moper said, dyno numbers can read whatever the operator wants them to read. Living at 5800' you get all these shops giving guys crazy corrected horsepower numbers. Guys up here thinking they are making a certain number, then go to the track and I'm like, "so what's up with your 600hp car, buddy?" They don't get it, that's the sad part. They still believe they are making the power that some dopey shop told them they were. You can argue until you're blue in the face, show them the math... They don't understand. It's fine, I'll continue to wax their asses with less horsepower than they claim they have... And they will continue to think I'm the idiot LOL.

To me the dyno is a break in and tuning tool. It also allows you to compare various combos and parts. So even in this case. If they treated the engine with 2 different intakes or headers the difference shown in power would be accurate even if all the numbers were inflated.

Magazine crap, who cares......write to them, challenge them on what they have published..They won't care either..

The biggest tool the engine builders use to sell engines is the dyno numbers.........It happens right on this site too, post big HP numbers, but NEVER any results from the track. The only way to compare HP on a dyno, is back to back on the same dyno.

I cannot agree with this more. AND the one or two track results we've seen from the big engine builders fall way short of that their supposed HP numbers say they should run.

Lots of things affect it, but it seems to me that if those engines were as powerful as the numbers showed, people would be shouting from the rooftops how fast their cars are. We'd see time slips. We don't.

I've said it for years now. I don't buy magazine articles for one dang minute. Since they have sponsors who advertise, they are not an unbiased source of information.

the moroso air cleaner I bought years ago fell short of adding 15 hp, like they said it would.
yea, I fell for all the BS when I was younger

Regardless of whether you believe the power output of the engine or not, it was a very informative write up on how to build one of these stroker engines. It was far more complete on how to check and assembly an engine than many of the other articles I have seen. Some of the people involved I will have to deal with in the future and I don't wish to excite their ire. I subscribe to Engine Professional Magazine because it does have some very in depth gasoline and diesel related articles.

You got that right dynos are very easily "goosed"...

Regardless of whether you believe the power output of the engine or not, it was a very informative write up on how to build one of these stroker engines. It was far more complete on how to check and assembly an engine than many of the other articles I have seen. Some of the people involved I will have to deal with in the future and I don't wish to excite their ire. I subscribe to Engine Professional Magazine because it does have some very in depth gasoline and diesel related articles.
ha ha ha ... wow...rack up them brownie points !

It's all good. Any builder worth their salt will know criticism and skepticism come with the package of being publicized. If they're tender-footed now they'll get used to it fast...lol.

It's all good. Any builder worth their salt will know criticism and skepticism come with the package of being publicized. If they're tender-footed now they'll get used to it fast...lol.

Criticism and skepticism have been well earned by the industry.... Inflated numbers, BS claims. BS products... people should be skeptical..A fool and his money are soon parted, and this industry loves the fool..

-
Back