-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
so im restoring the cluster on my 66' Barracuda including the following:
1)Polish the clear lenses
2)Repaint the plastic- no rechrome as I did not like it to begin with.
3)Clean, lube and test the 150 speedo
4)Replace the tach with the aftermarket tach for modern ignition
5)Replace the two boards behind the cluster and all new light bulbs and bulb holders.
6) Redo the black stripe around the bezel.

Can anyone tell me with out opinion but fact: was the stripe gloss black or flat black?
Either way it looks amazing. But I only want to paint the stripe once. Both clusters I have were repainted before I got them.
Thank you,
Joe
image.jpg

image.jpg

I can't say exactly but it is not gloss or flat. Most likely a low gloss black, approximately 20% to 40% gloss.
I have painted some interior items flat black & them used light coats of clear until I got a finish I like.

I used 1/8th in black pinstripe tape on mine, (66 B-Cuda) and chrome 1/8th in pinstripe tape on the high outer edges. I have to pull the cluster again, to check out the gas gage, so maybe I can get some pics. the top sections were hard to get straight when it was in the car, so I am going to redo parts of it, when out again.
I think Summit has the tape in flat, and semi-flat, mine is gloss I got it at Summit.

barracudadave67

I used 1/8th in black pinstripe tape on mine, (66 B-Cuda) and chrome 1/8th in pinstripe tape on the high outer edges. I have to pull the cluster again, to check out the gas gage, so maybe I can get some pics. the top sections were hard to get straight when it was in the car, so I am going to redo parts of it, when out again.
I think Summit has the tape in flat, and semi-flat, mine is gloss I got it at Summit.

barracudadave67
Hey Dave,
I thought about the pin stripe option. When I used to work at the dealership many moons ago I was the pinstripe tape myster. I did not want to go pinstripe because when it gets hot in the car, ( much hotter than the outside of the car) the pinstripe has a tendency to curl and shrink and worst yet lift. And yes the straight sections are hard to keep from pulling too tight or going crooked. I think I'm going to get a black nail polish and try it. I'll mask the best I can and giver her hell.
I almost did red to match the interior and outside but I think it needs the black to break it up a bit.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Joe

Joe
Instead of nail polish, Use "Testors" model paint. It still comes in those real small glass bottles. You can get it in flat, or gloss black. Its available at Walmart, or any wear they sell plastic models, and its enamel. Get a real small, good quality brush. its hard to stay staight, in the very bottom of those slots. You can use brake cleaner to clean the brush.
I'm going to use it to paint the black, back in the hood, and trunk letters.

barracudadave67

Testors also makes a paint marker.Be careful using nail polish,it is lacquer and if you used
enamel it can craze the silver base coat.

I'm getting ready to do mine. I can't wait to see the end result. If you are not using the original Tach and would consider selling it I would consider purchasing it from you. Feel free to send me a message if you decide to let it go.

As for the gauge needles, Model Master Fluorescent red is a perfect color match.

-
Back