68 barracuda instrument cluster circuit board

-

brian 1972

Reaction score
i removed the dash from my 68 barracuda and 2 of the prongs on the back of the circuit board was broke off gone wondering if theres a way to fix it

IMG_0034.JPG

Check the socket for those two pins and solder them back on.
Lots of people have done it.

Well two good choices are to rewire, solder and resocket the board with a different connector or find another usable board.
For example, a pigtail with a socket on the end soldered to the copper traces on the board then the other pigtail of the new socket connected to your old socket wires.

That round connector looks pretty tough. Do it right, you don't wanna make it an annual repair.
There is a thread on here where someone used copper house wire and soldered them on to the circuit board.
Make sure the round connector amd inserts are good.

there is very little clearance behind the board. Repair should not extend to pot metal housing. That would create a short. To know that many vehicles ( e-body for example ) don't even have printed circuit boards may help. Those have the wires attached directly. So... Look at the copper trace from these missing pin positions. I can see one of the wires could be attached at the respective threaded gauge post w/ring terminal and 10-32 nut ( just like the amp gauge connections ). Male and female spade terminals inline provide disconnect points.
Your pic doesn't show me where the other missing pin routes to. I wont go look at examples for you. If that one should go to a light socket, reattaching a pin for that copper trace may be the best option.

I just finished with new under dash wiring and had broken pins myself. The round connector is a ***** to get off. One was there stuck in the connector. The other one was there but got swallowed up in the car somewhere...never found it.
I went to a local electronics store and looked at their male electronics terminal end connectors and found several that would do the job with minimal trim work.
The boards aren't that difficult to remove. I took mine off went inside and did the work there. I was concerned about solder bleeding through and contacting the metal housing. That didn't happen but it gave me an opportunity to put some backing tape in the areas opposite the pins. While I was in there I decided to reinforce the existing pins with solder as well...just make sure they're straight first. It doesn't take much solder to make a strong joint. I had a tendency to get too much on there..so I went to radio shack and bought some braided desoldering wick. The wick allowed for enough solder to remain and not interfere with fully seating the round socket connector.
I put it all back together with LED's in the dash light and turn signal spots with plenty of dielectric grease on the pins and sockets and it all works like new again...with the help of a new turn signal switch and under dash wiring harness... which wasn't that hard to install.

Last edited:
i actually fixed it using a piece of 12-2 house electric wire it fit perfectly in the hole were the pins broke soldered onto the board and put solder on the backside to help hold it hooked it up seems to work. i'll put pic up tomorrow maybe help someone in the future

-
Back