'68 Barracuda Notch

-
7 different colors--man, someone probably took it maaco or earl scheib once or twice in the past. I feel kinda bad that I haven't seen this thread in awhile--good to see some movement on it and I really can't wait to see it in the new color.

Talked to my paint guy a bit last night. The doors were not original to the car and as he stripped them, he found seven different colors of paint underneath the blue. Here is some partial progress.

View attachment 1714998577[/QUOTE

Just think how lighter your car will be now! Will your painter be removing the window trim before painting or do they just mask those?

I believe he will remove the trim around the windshields, but maybe not the drip rail trim. I'm not sure.

I stopped by the shop this week to take a look at the car. I grabbed a couple shots to see the many layers of paint that were on the doors. The rear quarters looked good, but there was some caked on filler on the fronts of the fenders and in the doors in places.
IMG_20161229_154624281_zpssbfgjkqz.jpg

IMG_20161229_154638370_zpsyjenazx3.jpg

IMG_20161229_154706373_zps1x7mkhvz.jpg

What color & paint is that? Single stage, B/C? Hard to tell from photos but it looks like it laid down nice for the painter:)

I was looking at your older pix of the buildup thread. Specifically your shoulder belt outboard lower attach points. I have a set of shoulder belts i bought similar to yours and will retro fit them into a 67 barracuda. I am specifically interested in how you mounted not the retractor mechanism, but the other half of the belt that mounts on that side.

Screenshot_2017-05-11-14-11-02.jpg

I was looking at your older pix of the buildup thread. Specifically your shoulder belt outboard lower attach points. I have a set of shoulder belts i bought similar to yours and will retro fit them into a 67 barracuda. I am specifically interested in how you mounted not the retractor mechanism, but the other half of the belt that mounts on that side.

Are you talking about the shoulder portion that attaches to the roof? If so, I already had the provision for that in place, so all I had to do was poke a hole in the headliner and thread the bolt in.

Are you talking about the shoulder portion that attaches to the roof? If so, I already had the provision for that in place, so all I had to do was poke a hole in the headliner and thread the bolt in.
Nope floor mount. I made and welded anchors in the roof. I have a 69 notch as well that i copied the location from. The outboard sides of the belt in the rocker panel. Theres 1 threaded hole on either side. I'm assuming that this is where you mounted the retractor box. The way you have it all mounted is so clean it looks like a factory install this way, so i wanted to copy it. The belt mounted forward of the retractor box. Howd you mount that end of the belt? since theres no hole or mount for that.

Last edited:
Oh I see what you're saying. There is a metal extension that keeps it away from the retractor. You can kind of see it in this picture:

DSC_0489_zps1adfa535.jpg

I believe that this is the set I bought: 1968-70 Mopar A Body, 3-Point Conversion Seat Belts, Bucket. The pictures are a little difficult to tell from. I should be able to get the car back this weekend, so if you need more pictures, let me know.

I bought my belts from wescoperformance.com they were very similar, but not a direct fit. If you can get me good pix of the bracket along with maybe its thickness, and some dimensions, length, and width etc. that would be great!!! I can probably make a copy of these.

The pix below are the ones i bought. Very similar except for the slick bracket. I think on sale they ran me $199 shipped. 2 front shoulder belts, 2 rear lap belts. I know the barracuda is a 5 passenger car, but i dont intend to ever carry 5 people in mine so i only got 2 rear belts.

downloadfile-7 (2).jpg

downloadfile-8 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I tried to get a good picture of the seat belt bracket that you wanted, but my battery died. I'll try again.

I got the car back to the house today and installed the rest of the trim. I left the trunk trim off because it needs a little work and I'm missing some hardware. I'm really happy with the way that it came out. Here are a few more pictures:

IMG_4717_zpsdslyni0t.jpg

IMG_20170513_183420460_zpsddp8croi.jpg

IMG_20170513_183319291_zpscyyltudm.jpg

That last picture is probably the first with all three of my current vehicles together (The JK and Comanche).

-
Back