68 Barracuda Wiper Motor Spacers FOUND!!!

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
When I bought this 68 barracuda a lot of parts were already off or just half ***-ed on. I went to put the wiper motor back on the other day and I was missing one grommet, I had a damaged grommet and I was missing one of the metal spacers. Well the go to member when you need parts for a 67/69 barracuda is Eddie (barracudakid) and he had the parts that I needed. Problem is that one of the spacers that he sent me was smaller than the other two, he looked at four other cars and all four of them had this spacer on them. It is shorter than the other ones and it has a lip on it and it was located on the upper right stud. I looked in the service manual and there is no mention of the shorter spacer. Is there any one who is familiar with this shorter spacer and knows what it is for or why it is on there? My barracuda has the two speed wiper motor on it, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Here is a picture of the taller spacer on top and the shorter spacer on the bottom.

wiper spacer.jpeg

I just heard from Eddie again and he told me that the shorter spacers are on all three studs so now I am guessing that the wiper motor needs to be spaced out a little further from the firewall and that is what these shorter spacers do. Has anyone been through this and knows for sure that the smaller spacers are needed?

I took a motor off a 68 Dart a 2 speed and it had three of the short bushings. I’m use to using the longer style like what you show on the top picture.

Short spacer is used with all 3 different wiper motors. It allows the rubber grommets to crush down only so far before the nuts bottom out against them. Sets the amount of tightness and grommet crush the factory wants for that motor. Those rubber grommets look a bit like universal GM type along with that longer spacer.

Those grommets and spacers came off a parts car that Eddie had so they should be OEM and they look just like the one that came with my 68 wiper motor only I did not have any of the shorter ones, I guess I need two more short spacers.
Thanks for your help, time to contact Eddie again.
Bob

-
Back