'68 Slant 225 Plug Tube Washers?

-

doc540

Reaction score
paging SlantSixDan

Since I determined my block is a '68, should I pull the plugs and tubes and remove all the washers from the new set of plugs?

Gap remain the same if I remove the washers?

Thanks!

btw: no tube leaks after replacing all the rubber rings

Yep, the gap should be set correctly without regard to the washers. Yep, you should remove the metal ring washers from the plugs -- go ahead and do it now, it won't take you but about 20 minutes to do all of them. If the plugs you installed weren't NGK ZFR5N (stock number 3459) you might consider swapping those in place of whatever other plug you put in. There's no such thing as a miracle spark plug, but those particular NGKs, with their extra-extended electrodes, are enough better than the standard kind to be worth it, and they cost about the same as standard plugs.

Ok, thought so.

I just removed the washers, but left in the new set of Crampions.

I'll swap them out for NGK's soon enough.

btw: what gap do you recommend?

Just curious why its best to remove the washers. I've seen this come up before and wondered why. Thanks

The counterbore at the top of the spark plug threads in '63-'74 heads, together with the aluminum plug tube, serves as the plug gasket. Adding another plug gasket makes the plug run hotter (increasing tendency to ping for any given spark advance) and also provides a nice ring-shaped trough at the bottom of the plug threads for carbon to build up and cause problems. See here for details.

Yep, the gap should be set correctly without regard to the washers. Yep, you should remove the metal ring washers from the plugs -- go ahead and do it now, it won't take you but about 20 minutes to do all of them. If the plugs you installed weren't NGK ZFR5N (stock number 3459) you might consider swapping those in place of whatever other plug you put in. There's no such thing as a miracle spark plug, but those particular NGKs, with their extra-extended electrodes, are enough better than the standard kind to be worth it, and they cost about the same as standard plugs.

Done, swapped them this evening.

Here are the Crampions with 2K miles on them.

I removed them after doing some low speed, in town driving today. (a good highway run seems to clean them off pretty good)

Remember, my SS has a cam and Clifford intake, Holley 390.

Look about average?

lancer plugs9 2K.jpg

Last edited:
Those plugs look real nice. Almost too nice, looks like you might be running just a tiny bit lean. If the engine's running well, don't worry about it; if you have any other signs of not-quite-right running, look at the fuel mix.

Those plugs look real nice. Almost too nice, looks like you might be running just a tiny bit lean. If the engine's running well, don't worry about it; if you have any other signs of not-quite-right running, look at the fuel mix.

Thanks, I'll run the NGK's a while and check them.

remember how bad the originals looked?
lancer plugs1.jpg

Those don't look so awful. Yeah, one and four are a little dirtier than I'd like to see, but I've seen a whole lot worse.

Those don't look so awful. Yeah, one and four are a little dirtier than I'd like to see, but I've seen a whole lot worse.

Dan, is it just my imagination or is my SS running better with the long NGK's at .45 instead of the short Champions (with washers) at .35?

Sure seems to be a difference, but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

It probably is running better. What ignition system (HEI, Mopar electronic, Pertronix, something else) do you have?

When they're working, the MSDs give about the same ignition power as HEI. So yeah, 0.045" is appropriate. Hey, where's the other end of that hose coming off your crankcase breather?

Dan, is it just my imagination or is my SS running better with the long NGK's at .45 instead of the short Champions (with washers) at .35?

Sure seems to be a difference, but maybe I'm just fooling myself.
Maybe not? I was running Spitfires for a while and it ran good, till I discovered that one of the plugs had cracked. Replaced them with the NGK's gapped at .50" and I'm truly amazed at how well it runs. It's just boggles the mind at what a change in spark plugs can do.

When they're working, the MSDs give about the same ignition power as HEI. So yeah, 0.045" is appropriate. Hey, where's the other end of that hose coming off your crankcase breather?

Well, you told me to spitcan that Edelbrock air filter system, so that pic was taken during the process of trying to get other systems to clear the low hood clearance.

Here ya go.

This is the only inexpensive system I could find that clears the hood. I'm not dropping hundreds in one of those Max Wedge pots.

Haven't done your fuel line upgrade yet, only adjusted the angle of the fuel filter. A lot less heat under there now that the headers are wrapped, but I plan a heat shield below the carb eventually.
lancer engine air cleaner1.jpg

Lookin' sharp ('71-'80 valve cover looks good in red). Keep at it!

Thanks, I was wondering what year valve cover that was.

It rusted pretty badly, and they painted over it. But refinishing it isn't near the top of my "to do" list.

The worn bearing between the upper steering column and shaft is driving me nuts now.

I'm not brave enough to tackle that one myself. :eek:

Oof, the '60-'61 cars have steering columns all their own, and parts availability is damn near nil. You will probably have to improvise and make-fit.

-
Back