69 barracuda stock 318

-

shakin911

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out how to turn my 318stock 69 barracuda run in the 11's 1/4 Mile without change the motor on a budget.

Stock 318
727 trans
dana 60 rear 354 gears

Install JATO in the trunk, make certain to get the angle correct.

The JATO reply was very tounge in cheek and not what I would have normally replyed as, I just thought the question MIGHT have been more along the lines of a fooly joke, since some of the older crowd.......
Although the JATO would make a fast car at once, for one use only.

Mr. Shakin 911,

Don't let anybody kid you...

A Stock 318 on a 'Budget Engine Build' will never run an 11.99 or under.

Im trying to figure out how to turn my 318stock 69 barracuda run in the 11's 1/4 Mile without change the motor on a budget.

Stock 318
727 trans
dana 60 rear 354 gears

There was an engine build that took some extensive camming, bowl pocket porting on 302 heads, carb tuning with a thermoquad (although this can be done way easier than with a TQ) and it was up in the 400hp/400 torque range.

As far as E/T goes, I am clueless, but you might get into the 13's.

This would require a lot of work on your part, good heads, really good porting/ playing around with 302 heads on a flow bench, extensive runner/ port match/ alignment work and a kickass ignition.

You can make an 11 second 318 last well, with a tuned engine on dished forged pistons, good rods, forged crank, perhaps a stroker in the same block for a 390, late 340 open chamber heads and a supercharger, but you won't save any money getting it to hold up to the heat and pressure.

Eaton made roots type superchargers for factory V6 engines that are relatively reliable and inexpensive to get at boneyards, that can be used with a custom made manifold, small pulley, maybe better impellers for more air, etc.

That will require a lot of work, as would a turbo system, it's been done, but turbochargers are not cheap, as centrifugal superchargers are not, either, by nature. They spin insane RPM ranges and require perfection in balancing and pressure management when they are built.

If you want naturally aspirated, port the hell out of some 302's and go for it on a bench dyno, but it won't be in the 11's.

I think nitrous would be your best bet but I think you will kill it before you make it to 11's. You could also gut it. Why does it have a dana 60 but a stock 318? Money not well spent already.

Stock 318
727 trans
dana 60 rear 354 gears

The first problem is budget. What is your budget?

Otherwise, start with a super charger and well ported 360 heads/Edelbrock heads and add at least the MoPar 296 duration cam with 1.6 or better rockers.
Add proper stall converter to match the blown engine and cam with the rear gears and cars weight.

Enjoy.

Funny that you brought this up now. I was just thinking about a combo like this a few days ago. 1.4hp per cube can get you there. Budget was my issue also. The r's required tend to be in the upgraded valvetrain/oil mod range as far as I can see. A really strong converter and a gear in the high 4's, at least, will be required in my opinion. The combo's I ran thru would not be streetable on today's pump gas in a 3000lb car and would probably need a little boost or "juice" to get there. Cool to think about though.

When I win the lottery, i'm building one just for the fun of it :D.

Minor question to OP -stock 318, 727? 904 was standard for 318-727 behind 340 normal, Dana 60? my god, what is the story behind that?

Kinda why I was thinking along fooly question(Aprils)

Thanks all for the replies looks like ill be going with a 340 or a 360 wanted to keep the original motor on the car but got to have the power the dana 60 im putting in the car only bc my mopar teammates all have Danas and the trans is a 727 special ordered notchback 69 barracuda with factory air.

Stock 318
727 trans
dana 60 rear 354 gears

Is there a reason you need to be in the 11's for certain class or something, why don't you mods as you can afford them making your way to the 11's and faster start with the basics exhaust, intake, carb, cam and a Nos shot.

Mr. Shakin 911,

Don't let anybody kid you...

A Stock 318 on a 'Budget Engine Build' will never run an 11.99 or under.

I'd say yes to this if driving the street with it is also a requirement.
It makes me wonder if I can do it. Sadly, my screw around Duster is gone.
I'd like to take the challenge just for Ha-ha's. I wonder how fast I can go with a crazy cam and gear set? He he he he

I'd agree with everything said here. If you want to hit 11s with a stock long block 318, you're going to need quite a bit of nitrous or forced induction.

I'm running a 10:1 360 in my Duster with OOTB Edelbrock heads and I'm knocking on 11s. I've been within about .10 of 11s and, since I've finally figured out my fuel delivery issue, I'm thinking it'll happen this season.

I'd say the best way to get there easily would be with a stroker, especially if you want to keep your 3.54 gears...but, it comes down to what your budget is.

Sorry, but it's not going to run 11's unless you switch to 1/8 mile....I'm just sayin....:D

Way back in the day, I had a 318 in my Barracuda (727 and 3.55 gears) with the MP 284/.484 cam, 360 heads and a 150 shot. It ran 13.9 (in Colorado)...granted, I had to wait a bit to hit the nitrous due to my nearly stock converter, but you get the picture....it was still not that fast.

OK for my best answer: give up on 11's and start with what you have now and tune, adjust and log yor changes. I would start with working on 60 ft times at first and see where that takes you. I had a friend that had a 343 Javalin that ran a 12.5 quarter with stock type exhaust and full mufflers in street trim. He had done a ton of tuning work.

id hit it with a 250 hp shot. then the engine will already be out of the car and ready for your new build to go in.

A couple of Options,

You could pay off the 'Timing Technical Staff' at the Drag Strip to 'fudge the numbers'.

$25 should do it.

A 'Budget' 318 can go 11.99 or better in the 1/4 Mile, if you push the car off the side
of a mountain, and 'time' the vertical drop, providing you use 'Octane Booster' and
remove the Spare Tire and Jack Assembly.

Just curious how much HP would the OP need to get his car into the 11's?
I'm guessing 450hp - 100hp Nos shot leaving 350Hp on engine so mill and port heads, highlift 285ish cam, Airgap, 750 Holley, headers, stall and gears to match, depending on budget could be do able.

A good bit depends I the cars weight. Then, if it were a strip car only, a set of some gears to cross the finish line at the time the cam/engine combo runs out of steam.

Turbocharger

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B74ACQbowas&list=UUnqa0A3d5UY-D4CStAvYWNw&index=17"]68 Dodge Dart Turbo 318 Burnout Mopar - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsscD7nNdo&list=UUnqa0A3d5UY-D4CStAvYWNw&index=16"]68 Dodge Dart Turbo 318 Dyno Pull Mopar - YouTube[/ame]

tock 318 heads, exhaust manifolds, .467 Crane Cam, 904 auto, 13 lbs on Pump Gas, PT 67
397 RWHP 398 RWTQ, at Horsepower Ranch in Hobart Wa.

He even says he has a dana 60 with 3.54 gears!

-
Back