7.25 to 8.25: new brake lines needed?

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Swapping out my 7.25" rear for an 8.25", can I reuse the hard brake lines or not? I'm guessing not.

It is possible. Give it a little bend to fit.

Why not? I went from 7 1/4 to 8 1/4 to 8 3/4 to dana 60 ! Same width or close enough.

Depending on the years, the J-block can be in a different place, so it may have to be relocated. Swapping lines or bending new ones is cheap and easy. Don't let it scare you.
Before you open the system,block the brake pedal down a couple of inches to close the compensating port and thus preventing the system from draining.
This would be a good time to replace any/all aging flex-lines, and freshening the fluid as well.

Some fellows are hesitant to work on these hydraulics, but really, this is not rocket science.And also really, this is probably the number one most important system on your car, and should be in tip-top condition; at all times. If you get in a bind(pun intended), we're here to help.

After working on one car's system, you will wonder why you were ever timid about doing so.

I have been doing a lot of line work lately and there is a Teflon coated line that comes in a 25" roll that is super east to bend and flair unlike the sections you get at the parts stores. Double flaring is pretty simple to do also. It is copper nickel and you can rent a free flairing tool at pep boys or autozone, just make sure it has the 3/16 flairing tool.

I already ordered a roll of the nickel-copper tubing and I have a neighbor with a flaring kit. I was planning on making new lines, but then it occurred to me I might not need to. Based on looking at the new axle assembly and the old one, it looks like the only difference in the lines is a little bit longer arc around the 8.25" pumpkin compared to the 7.25". But I haven't measured to see if the rubber hose connects to the left axle housing in exactly the same spot on both.

-
Back