70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
Or affiliated with you!, I might see him at the nats and it will be fun to ask a few "pointed questions" of him about your engine, sadly been there a few times myself. Wish there was such a thing as a magic wand so you me and rat could all be making passes together at renegade in June.
Yep, my magic wand would probably just be a month off of work and it would be close to ready.
I have almost every part I need to put it together.
Still need to get a converter built too.
Lol, a month probably a fib

A few changes I've got since the 1st build started dropping power.
I should mention the original build was done by someone else not associated with rat bastid, lead 69.
The list of wrongs from what I recall.
Rocker shaft bolts were way to short, bent and snapped both shafts on the 2nd day Dyno tuning.
I measured the head gaskets from the last build.
They were 4.380 bore, my pistons were rubbing the gasket because of core shift I believe, it wasn't all the pistons.
Ring gaps were too small and clearaced themselves.
Rod bearing clearance was too much, I'll have to remeasure but I couldn't get **** for oil pressure.
Dipstick wasn't going down into the oil on the milodon pan I have.
Camshaft was in incorrectly.
Blueprint sheet had my pistons in at 0 deck, what do ya know after decking the pistons were out of the deck +.010
@Rat Bastid does that sum it up.
Oh the bearings were F'd up as well.

The corrections and betterment.
I Sent the pistons in to line to line coating for skirt coating.
I bought 4.410 bore @.051 thickness for a total .041thickness.
New bearings through out. +001 rod bearings.
Plateau honed cylinders.
New gas ported total seal rings.
Nothing wrong with the cam I was running but I was a little rpm limited (that could've been cam timing) but I went a few more degrees duration & a bit more lift.
Got 1.1 points more compression from 11.7 to 12.8:1 by decking my heads.
Opened up the port window on the trickflow 240 heads to Hughes valley pan size and blended it in till it was blended in lol.
Got a tunnel ram from @MidnightSwinger and am putting a matching billet blp 850 annular booster carb that I was running on trick flow single plane.
I applaud anyone who reads all that, thank you fabo for your support since I've joined

That’s pretty close. There were no restricters for the needle bearing rockers so that pissed away some oil pressure, and as you know, I detest low oil pressure.

Also, the swinging pick up was incorrectly installed and the fittings went so far into the pickup manifold they were blocking a good part of it off.

No pressurized oil to the timing set. I hate that.

Pushrods that were WAY undersized and they were pole vaulting.

I think that covers it.

Ya that definitely will be a good build. I was asking about the low deck because I know that’s usually a popular way to go when going with a stroker build on a stock block. Can’t wait to hear how it runs.

That’s pretty close. There were no restricters for the needle bearing rockers so that pissed away some oil pressure, and as you know, I detest low oil pressure.

Also, the swinging pick up was incorrectly installed and the fittings went so far into the pickup manifold they were blocking a good part of it off.

No pressurized oil to the timing set. I hate that.

Pushrods that were WAY undersized and they were pole vaulting.

I think that covers it.
Yep, that fitting in the oil pump was a great find. Yeah there was way too much wrong

Ya that definitely will be a good build. I was asking about the low deck because I know that’s usually a popular way to go when going with a stroker build on a stock block. Can’t wait to hear how it runs.
Shouldn't be too long

Cam in 2 degrees retarded, 106 icl. Centered the overlap triangle. Hope to get a little more rpm out of this thing since this time.
Cam change was from a 260-264 now 264-268
Thank you for the help today @Rat Bastid

IMG_20230419_120846727.jpg

Quick tunnel ram mock up, got my blp 850 builder kit last night.

Checked piston to valve clearance, surprisingly have over plenty, need to check Harland sharps recommended fastener height & verify my pushrods aren't too long now.
Sorry no photos.
Thanks again rat bastid for letting me clutter up your shop lol

Checked piston to valve clearance, surprisingly have over plenty, need to check Harland sharps recommended fastener height & verify my pushrods aren't too long now.
Sorry no photos.
Take some damn pictures!

Sorry no photos.

You are always welcome any time here.

IMG_20230506_145053299.jpg

Not much done last 2 weeks since getting our house and property ready for a party with some people from my wife's rotary thing
Was outside today, fit my wheels to make sure the wheels sat in the same spot side to side & measured the same to the front of the wheel well.
Nice shiny forged aluminum will make any dumpster look cool lol

View attachment 1716086966
Not much done last 2 weeks since getting our house and property ready for a party with some people from my wife's rotary thing
Was outside today, fit my wheels to make sure the wheels sat in the same spot side to side & measured the same to the front of the wheel well.

Why are the shop dogs not out there and in the picture? Are they on lockdown or something?? You know that there is Rikers West over in Vancouver. Is there going to be a Rikers valley???? LOL

Why are the shop dogs not out there and in the picture? Are they on lockdown or something?? You know that there is Rikers West over in Vancouver. Is there going to be a Rikers valley???? LOL
Those dogs would kill themselves in my garage, I had them outside where I could see them in a kennel.

Those dogs would kill themselves in my garage, I had them outside where I could see them in a kennel.

Ok. It won’t be long and they’ll be big enough to hang in the shop and supervise your work. I’m sure they’ll give me full updates on your progress.

View attachment 1716086966
I still think you need to get Tim over there sanding, it be nice to get a coat of epoxy on the car.
oh BTW I like the wheel. :thumbsup:

-
Back