70 Duster Fiberglass Hood For Blower

-

1970Duster340

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a perimeter frame fiberglass hood for the Duster, one that I can cut a hole in for blower clearance. The best suggestion I've found so far is the standard replacement hood by US Body, FDUH-1....utilizing the OEM hinge, springs, and latch, using metal inserts is a huge plus for me. I've read that some people are quite happy with their products, but others have had terrible experience with them....I'm guessing I'm not the first one looking for this sort of setup, if anyone has some experience and wants to pass it on, that'd be terrific!

25altso.jpg

Ha ha ha ha... dude! That looks awesome! Sorry, just had to say it!

Perhaps you could make your own?

why fiberglass ?
just to save weight?

i wonder if it would be better to take a stock metal hood, rip the skin of and replace it with aluminum?

im just not seeing a fiberglass hood with that big a whole in it being sturdy

why fiberglass ?
just to save weight?

i wonder if it would be better to take a stock metal hood, rip the skin of and replace it with aluminum?

im just not seeing a fiberglass hood with that big a whole in it being sturdy

Thanks for the comment, definitely looking for ideas. Weight isn't an issue (apparently the US Body hood is heavy enough to use the stock springs) my first thought was to cut up the metal hood, but all of the bracing goes right over the induction....could be done, but it'd be quite a project to cut out all of the hood supports. And if you cut all of the bracing, it may not necessarily be any stronger than a fiberglass hood with a perimeter frame.....

You probably got a point there

I'll do some searching, I know I've seen a steel hood on here someone opened up and braced to clear a blower, it looked really good

Worst case scenario you can always just send the blower to me, and I'll send you my weiand intake and you can run your stock hood

I cut a steel hood, finished the opening - tying it to the structure. Seems rigid enough to me. Pics here: Steel Hood Mods - 1970 Plymouth Big Block Duster Project

Well, now you've given me more to think about....that hood came out excellent! It appears that you tacked the sheet metal in place from the top, then the bottom, and then ground down the edge to match the contour of the hood? If I can find a stock hood nearby I think I may just give this a try....

i cant find it
i think the one i had in mind was purple
it was cut, just like Preston's hood, but they used brake line or something to contour the cutout, it looks great

(may have also been for a tunnel ram, who knows)

It appears that you tacked the sheet metal in place from the top, then the bottom, and then ground down the edge to match the contour of the hood? If I can find a stock hood nearby I think I may just give this a try....

Right - strips around the inside of the opening, grind off the excess, then finish weld completely. Takes time and patience to keep warpage to a minimum. I had some tacks on the underside and to finish the seam I masked and applied a two part seam sealer (Lord Fusor), tooled with finger, pulled the tape. Makes it look better and takes care of any pinholes. Anything you do to finish the opening will be better than nothing.

Before the blower I had a fiberglass 6-pak hood (AAR Fiberglass) with light springs and was still able to use those springs with the modified steel hood.

DSCN0758.JPG

-
Back