70 Duster

-

Rob

Reaction score
Hi guys, just found this forum, looking forward to rummaging through it, just read a couple of killer threads. I'm just finishing a Camaro for my daughter and then will be starting on my Duster project. It's a 70 gold /6, looks like the Al Bundy car :) It's in pretty decent shape, a little rust here and there but overall shouldn't be too big a job doing the body. I just picked up a recently built 360, ported & polished heads, 2.02/1.64 valves, 440 springs, .509 comp cam, anti pump up lifters, high volume Holley fuel pump, Edelbrock carb and intake, and a fresh 727 with 2800 stall converter. I'm still doing the research on the swap. I know I need the motor mount kit and will need to upgrade the brakes and suspension, shorten the driveshaft, bigger rad, etc. haven't sorted those details out yet. I'm hoping to find a thread here that spells some of that out for me. I will be painting it sublime green and will post some pics as I go, it takes me at least a year to build a car, unfortunately the job gets in the way.

Welcome to the board,got any pics. of your car?

I have a 71 duster that's about half done and a 72 Duster /6 driver.

I'll try and take some pics this weekend and post them, I'm really looking forward to a new project. I've been working on my daughter's Camaro for the last 15 months or so, I need a change of scenery. This appears to be a great forum with lots of info.

Cheers

Another BC'er! Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the link Rumblefish, easy as pie, that's what I like to hear :) :) :)

He he he, it was. A quick use of a drill and bits with a cut off wheel to cut down the driverside pearch and the teen slipped right in. The total time on making the cut and drilling was about 45 min.s with coffee cup refills that morning. By dinner, it was all in except the headers and small odds and ends.

Below is a shot of the pearch mod for the small block. I had to get back in there to cut some more off. It was just touching the drain plug.

Then a shot of it in early that afternoon.

100_1068.JPG

100_1074.JPG

NICE!!! I've got a long way to go before I'm there though, need to pull the old /6 and paint the engine bay 1st and the car for that matter. Some other things will be to upgrade the front & rear suspension, add disc brakes and power steering, swap in the 8 3/4 and so on. What a blast! Cheers

Well I got it home this weekend from my son's place, I should be able to start on it in a couple of months. Here's some pics, this is as Al Bundy as it gets!! I just wanted to sit in it and drink beer. The body lines are very straight, some rust to be cut out of the bottoms of the quarters, inner fenders and A pillars, I'm sure there will be more when I dive into it.

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

looks great!!! best of luck with it!! all you need is a "No Ma'am" t-shirt, and you're set to go!!!

Rob, welcome to the site. It looks like you have an excellent starter car there with just a small ammount of rust in the usual places. The rest of the car looks good enough to make a lot of us envious. :)

Overall it is very, very straight, as far as I know it's never been hit from either side, a little bumper and hood prang is about it. Not sure what mysteries lay beneath that vinyl roof though, a big blob of rust I assume, under it on the B pillar. Should be a fun project though, it's a lot better than most I've worked on.

-
Back