7000 RPM small block

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I would like some ideas for a small block that will see 7000 rpm regularly when bracket racing. My 360 runs great but I don't think it will last if I take it to 7000 regularly. A 340 would be great but I want to do this one for less money. Has anyone tried a 318 with a 360 crank/mains turned down? Or am I being too cautious with a cast crank 360 and should just build another one of those? I want to build another engine over the winter and want more rpm potential.

This may be just me but I don't think 7000-rpm regularly and cast crank go together very well. Sounds like a peanut butter and mustard sandwich.

Should have forged pistons, better crank and at minimum rods with arp bolts and reworked. But is cheaper to get better rods.

Why not build the 360 with enough torque to live below say 6200rpms?

I had a 273 that lived in the 8000 rpm range, but it had to so it could make the power I needed, but you have the cubes for more torque.

my 2cents

Cost is an issue but it's not as hard as you may think. Good heads is the key, along with a bulletproof short block. A good oiling system is also needed. I have one for sale if anyone is interested. Runs 11.15-11.20 in a 3100 lb car. Call me at 601-750-0017 if interested.

My 340 made peak hp at 6900 rpms. We went as high as 7400rpms on the dyno but there was no gain in power. Peak was 478hp and 410ftlbs @5300rpms

* 1973 340 block
* decked to +.020 deck height(pistons above deck)
* bored .030 over
* Ross flat tops with max weight removal option*** and .927 pin bores* B&B tool steel wrist pins, 2.500 X.927 X .090 wall(piston and pin 525g)
* OE rods bushed to .927, fully polished, resized, lightened, ARP bolts
* OE steel crank( reground, strokes equalized, indexed)
* Milodon deep pan
* Melling oil pump
* double roller timing set
* Crower 262/265 @ .050, .575/.585 solid lifter cam
* Crower lifters
* ported 587 heads with MP 2.02/1.60 valves, milled for true 11:1 CR flow 260/173 at .600 lift
* bronze guides and hardened exhaust seats
* Crower dual springs
* Comp 10deg retainers and machined locks
* Edelbrock Victor ported
* Proform 750
* Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers and HD thick wall shafts
* Crane pushrods
* MP moly coated fuel pump eccentric
* MP OEM replacement 340 damper

My cast crank 416 stroker has seen 7000 rpm's quite a few times,runs 11.0's..i've got 2 seasons on it....

*I think* you might want to look into an oil galley mod to route oil over from one side to the other.

thanks for the info! The car runs great with the 360, 12.7@106 at 5800 ft. Traction is the biggest problem with the torque that the 360 has and a 27x9 tire. So my thought is, instead of tubbing it, just build an engine that is smaller but makes more mid range and high rpm power but leaves softer. I am leaning toward a 318 with 1.88 valve heads.
Rumble, do you mean tubing the right side oil galley? I was going to do that on my next engine. I think I will still use a solid flat tappet cam. And at least 12.5 compression.

As in like what the Mopar book says to do with a roller? NO.

Theres an oil galley you have to drill for and tap, run a line over to the otherside, drill tap, connect. I forget exactly how it is done. The mags have pictures of it. But I never seen them explain it.

To clam the launch, you will want to loose the stroke. But, if you do, you may need to completely re-think the driveline to take advantage of that different power curve. I'm not sure what your uasge and budget are. I'm keeping this as a bracket racer, no street, with a price of $8000. I dont think a small valve 318 is the ticket. I know a lot of guys like the idea, but truth is, a short stroke/short rod engine wants to mvoe a lot of air at speed. And that's doen better with better heads. So, with that in mind, my idea would be: An early 318 (prior to '71) that is sonic tested. Most of those blocks are much thicker than even a 340 block. The better wall thickness, the more power at rpm. Go with a 3.94 bore notched, 3.31 stroke, use a custom Diamond FT piston, K1 H beam rods, Callies Dragonslayer crank. Have the block's mains studded, and I'd replace the caps with Program Steel 2 bolt caps. Static compression in the 11.5:1 area. In terms of oil control, I would O/S the main feeds, plug the front connecting passage do the cross over, and I would want to bush the lifter bores, instead of tubing the galleys. That's a power producing mod...Instead of doing something to stop lifter bleed and not correcting the lifter angles. I would to the crossover tube. That mod helps the oil feed the mains smoother. It would have a crankshaft scraper and a deep pan, not a windage tray. I would also use a camshaft with the #4 bearing surface grooved, and restrict the oil to the heads to relieve the pulsing the factory top end oiling does. That kind of shortblock will run in the $3800-4200 range. So, For heads, I'd go with the tried and true RPMs, but I would have them ported and chambers reduced to 52cc. Not hoged out, but they will need a little work to make peak horsepower at 7K on a 'teen. The LA rocker systems are easy to work with, and fairly cheap. The EQ type/RPM Magnum heads would be in the running, but the money required to make the rocker train stable at higher valve spring tensions simply doesnt make sense to me on a bracket engine. If you tube the block, a solid flat tappet would work. Personally, I'd go with a solid roller for power and ease of maintenance but the block needs the bushings. I dont think Crane rockers would last under that heavy a spring. So I'd either go stainless, or Harland Sharps, in any case..1.6 ratio. I would lean to the MP M1 single plane for an intake. Probably with some mild work, and at least 1.5" of spacer. A Holley HP 750, and whatever you have for cooling, ignition, etc. Also dont forget the SFI balancer... You REALLY dont want a stock type non SFI on there at 7K rpm. I dont think 500+hp at 7K is out of the question. And it will live for many seasons with minimal attention.

I like your idea moper. Ste p up or step out kind of build.

Well, brackets are not easy to run week in and out. It's a little overkill. But, you want a package that you can dial in, and forget. Maybe adjust valves, and jet from your weather records. Otherwise, leave the hood shut and concentrate on other things. So, you should over build a litttle IMO, and then have the security to concentrate on racing. You can spend a little more, and you dont have to worry about exotic rockers breaking, or checking aluminum rods every season. Just race it.

-
Back