71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
got what I think is a couple of passes in today with the Dart

1st pass 10.71 at 121.98
2nd pass 10.66 at 122+

although it was cool...the barometer was at 27.77 DA 3700 feet....

Engine is going 6900 rpm in the traps...probably need to change rear to 4.30....

Round 1 she dials 10.67.....I see the car coasting and pulling off the track...Oh ****...now what...
Motor shut off ...I see her drive away...ok it is running...
Check a few things...ignition...and removed valve cover to check rockers..

everything ok....she turns on fuel pump.....it running but no fuel pressure...ok...went the last time fuel was put in the car....last race....
ok..fuel in we get pressure...she drives it up to the top end to see what happens...again the motor dies under load..fuel pressure goes to 0
I remove fuel filter ...a little bit of foam from fuel cell...but I noticed that nothing was coming out of the hose...gravity was not working..
we put more fuel in tank....and lower jack to make sure we did not move the fuel away from the fuel pickup....a dribble...
apparently we have blockage in the line or fitting....it will fill the fuel line then engine will run out of fuel......
so this week...we redo the fuel system....lol

Would like to have seen 10.50-40...but nothing broke...change the gear and make the torque of the engine work.....

yes...the plan is to haul the Dart to Famoso in Nov...

Foam in cell had impaled itself on the out let fitting....blocking the line.....no more foam in fuel cell...no more blockage ever..

Taking Dart and Demon to Division 7 Bracket Finals tomorrow here in Vegas.....get some more runs on the engine....did not get the gear swapped out....

Foam in cell had impaled itself on the out let fitting....blocking the line.....no more foam in fuel cell...no more blockage ever..

Taking Dart and Demon to Division 7 Bracket Finals tomorrow here in Vegas.....get some more runs on the engine....did not get the gear swapped out....
age old problem !

Ran a couple of 10.68s at 122+ yesterday into a very good headwind.

Ran a 10.62 today with no wind...at 123....Moving in the right direction.....1.42 60 ft...

Needs the rear gear changed...talked to the guy...he said no problem...bring it over.

First of all as always thank you for sharing! my question is the new stroker by the seat of the pants or giving you a gut feeling right now going to be better than the previous motor that wasn't stroked? Once test and tuning is done are you feeling like you may be getting more bang for your buck by stroking the motor so far?

Ran a couple of 10.68s at 122+ yesterday into a very good headwind.

Ran a 10.62 today with no wind...at 123....Moving in the right direction.....1.42 60 ft...

Needs the rear gear changed...talked to the guy...he said no problem...bring it over.

S60 saves a lot of headaches in gear swaps. I'll be surprised if the gear change helps it. Would be fun to play with carburetors, but you're kind of stuck :)

First of all as always thank you for sharing! my question is the new stroker by the seat of the pants or giving you a gut feeling right now going to be better than the previous motor that wasn't stroked? Once test and tuning is done are you feeling like you may be getting more bang for your buck by stroking the motor so far?
Didn't he do a lot of other changes besides stroking??? I think he gave it more cam, along with other stuff. It's not a straight up "stroker vs 360", if I remember the thread correctly.

it has little more cam...more compression...converter is a little tighter..and Brian installed 2.08 intake valve

Next stop Bakersfield Nov 3 and 4th

it has little more cam...more compression...converter is a little tighter..and Brian installed 2.08 intake valve

Next stop Bakersfield Nov 3 and 4th
it would have been interesting to see what that converter and cam would have done to the 360..... but onward we go :) It will be interesting to see what you can tweak it down to be ....

I only increased the cam from 260/264 to 264/268....

the 360 would not have liked the tighter converter...cause I used it in my demon...behind the 360 it flashed to 4800...360 likes the the 5200 converter

I realized it's not a apple to Apple comparison as obviously the Stroker and the 360 are both going to have different gearing needs cam needs and so forth. What I was asking (70aarcuda) was from his pretty extensive experience with several a bodies on the track from just what he's feeling now and the seat of his pants does he think the car will start breaking its own records? again keeping in mind he's not doing any major drastic changes like a Turbocharger or nitrous or Ultra lightning the car or something that someone can think of.

Didn't he do a lot of other changes besides stroking??? I think he gave it more cam, along with other stuff. It's not a straight up "stroker vs 360", if I remember the thread correctly.

I realized it's not a apple to Apple comparison as obviously the Stroker and the 360 are both going to have different gearing needs cam needs and so forth. What I was asking (70aarcuda) was from his pretty extensive experience with several a bodies on the track from just what he's feeling now and the seat of his pants does he think the car will start breaking its own records? again keeping in mind he's not doing any major drastic changes like a Turbocharger or nitrous or Ultra lightning the car or something that someone can think of.
HEY NOW!! Sit Down!! LOL.....
I know what your asking, but a lighter converter, bigger cam, and more compression adds up to a lot! Besides the extra stroke... I'm not say'n, I'm just say'n... :D

I cant answer that question since I dont drive that car....but my daughter says it feels faster ...and it seem to run out of steam at 1000 ft...hence the gear change.
but with only 5 runs on it...and it keeps picking up....
we are using a 950 QFT aka about a 830....so a bigger carb probably would help....

I apologize for coming on so strong. I was in LAX yesterday on my way home when I posted and after being in such a dirty nasty place for five days...
And thank you 70aarcuda for the "gut feeling" report from your daughter/driver, that's cool !

HEY NOW!! Sit Down!! LOL.....
I know what your asking, but a lighter converter, bigger cam, and more compression adds up to a lot! Besides the extra stroke... I'm not say'n, I'm just say'n... :D

I apologize for coming on so strong. I was in LAX yesterday on my way home when I posted and after being in such a dirty nasty place for five days...
And thank you 70aarcuda for the "gut feeling" report from your daughter/driver, that's cool !
LOL.... :D

Need to call Quick Fuel Tech tomorrow and find out if my 950 E85 are really 950s....can not find the venturi size in any of the specs.....throttle bore is 1 3/4.....
i found primary venturi size of 1.45 but nothing on the secondary...But I would guess they are the same....but a phone call will settle it all.

Gotta change out the jets for Bakersfield....

took the high pressure sprayer and cleaned the under side of the car while it was up in the air....washed and waxed it.....put new car cover on it....suppose to load in trailer tomorrow....

Prosystem....there is nothing wrong with the carb.....

Well...bad weekend at Bakersfield...left house at 6 15 am....finally cleared traffic on freeway at 7 am....towing directly into head wind...old dodge could only muster about 55 mph...burned 22 gallons of gas to Barstow. There is a few good size mountains to go over....but the head wind .....finally got to track at 1 30 pm....could not believe it took almost 6 hours to get there...

unload car....in 4 passes car runs a best of 10.46 at 126 mph...great 60 fts...1.400...and 1.402...but....3 rd pass we hear a exhaust leak...tighten up header....still leaks.....come back will giant header leak.....NO. 7 header tube is blown all to hell....see picture....after discussion,,,,fellow racer offers to take it home and weld it back together....header come off very easy...could not believe it...but Qa1 k member and no torsion bar sure helps....I guess all the money i spend on front end pays off..

guy does a beautiful job of welding it back together.....get the header back on in record time..did not have to take starter off either...only had to not tie rod and pitman arm off center link. fire engine 10 minutes before 1st time run...the guy is Justin Crosby from Lancaster Cal....just a shout out for him.....

• After two time runs ...it is elimination time... Tonya ends up running the guy who fixed the headers in round one...he red lights...then a 65 Dart in round 2 who is a few hundred slower than her....He breaks out trying to stay out front...she is good by .01....3rd round....winner get bye into finals...after doing burn out engine shuts off and will not spin over....we found number 8 plug had been hit by piston.....can not turn engine over by hand....SO...................
Will see what the damage is this weekend.....

20171103_153839_resized.jpg

20171104_085412_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Jay...aka A body was in the other lane..and went on to win MOpar Pro on Saturday...

And on our way back we hit fog or a low cloud going up Tehachapi pass....could not see more then 75 feet in front of us.....sucked...

well...went we checked dipstick in Bakersfield....pan showed no water...well..this afternoon the pan was full of water....****.

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your headers right off LOL man that motor was pushing some air! That was quite a roller coaster of a story. I only have a small understanding of the amount of work that it takes for someone to get just a few passes like that, and so close :BangHead:
And as far as that guy helping weld that header up you strike me as the kind of person who would have done the same thing for him had you had the same means he did. :thumbsup:

-
Back