72 duster Build progress

-
I refurbished my gauges over the winter and never took pictures until tonight so i figured I would let everyone check out what i did and see what everyones opinions on it would be???

It was woodgrain but it was the only piece of wood grain in the hole car and it looked out of place and I didnt like it and I am blacking out all the interior (stealth interior) lol I left the woodgrain texture though ( i think it looks kind of neat).

I re oranged the needles,I wet sanded and buffed the clear gauge face sheiled, I cleaned up the gauge face tins....I sanded the hole thing down and I painted it satin black and I then re did the lettering for lights and wipers in silver paint and the raised edge around the individual gauge pods.

It has been sitting on a shelf in the garage over the winter and has got kind of dusty but it will clean up like new again.

I may put a silver pinstripe in the gap that borders the outside of the gauge cluster...not sure yet.

Did you just hand paint the woodgrain or use spray can?

well.......about an hour ago I was asked if my Duster was a Charger..................I just laughed lol.

that was a first......I can see nova or chevelle or something....but a charger?

oh well, atleast he got that it was Mopar lol

anyways....that aside.....been working on the duster a little each day.....had plans to get a bunch done today but my brother showed up in his mustang and had an exhaust leak so I helped him fix that and then we put a timing light on it and tweaked the timing a bit, and then my neighbor showed up......and I ended up not getting a hole lot done lol.

but my trunk floor is done!....I cut out the bad spots where it had some rust,put in new metal in its place and welded it all in.

and today I did some measuring and mapped out the plan on sheet metal and cut it all up and put my bends in it and I now have my trunk extension done and ready to weld into the duster....once thats done I can paint the new metal and then I can finally put my quarter panel patch in place.

then hopefully its fairly smooth sailing there after.

between the soft pin hole filled rusty metal and the chunks of a hood they used to "patch" the metal in the passed (they just layed it over the top of the rust and welded around it lol)....I just decided to cut the hole section out and put in new metal.

sure the trunk looks far from factory being that there is no spare tire well and it has some pat panels....but I feel better knowing what i did was better than what was there...any you won't see any of it anyhow once I finish the trunk of with carpeted panels.

IMG_20110611_150156.jpg

IMG_20110612_180126.jpg

IMG_20110612_181729.jpg

IMG_20110615_181919.jpg

Can I be your neighbor :thumrigh:
Keep moving forward and stepping up to help folks will make life great, I don't post much in these threads but I enjoy watching:glasses2:
looking good and moving forward :thumrigh:

Thanks Mike!

glad you like what ya see.

I don't mind helping others....sure would be nice if I could get them to do the same for me HAHA.

Ill keep plugging along...slow but sure the dusters getting there.

Thanks buddy.

Got a little more done today ( ill post some pictures later ).

finished tweaking the extension panel I fabbed up and got it installed and welded in place.

went ahead and painted all the fresh metal.

now I just have to let it dry over night and tomorrow maybe I will start on getting the quarter panel patch installed.

here is my lay out of how I was going to cut out my panel (PS electric metal shears are a very handy tool when doing as much metal work as I have been)
IMG_20110616_172211.jpg

on the trunk floor I built a 1" lip so I had material to lap my trunk drop off on top of.

once I figured out where I wanted my panel to sit and where it felt comfortable when test fitting the quarter panel patch....I ran some self taping screws in to hole it in place while I did my work.

IMG_20110617_132425.jpg

then i tack welded the panel in a few spots, then I drilled holes in the face of the panel and ran some plug welds to add strength to the face....then I took my body hammer and folded over the 1/4" over hang I left and tack welded it in a few spots. then came back through with my weld beads and welded the hole panel in (sorry if i confused you lol)
IMG_20110617_135946.jpg

then I backed out all my self tapping screws and plug welded those holes shut.

welded my support bracket back in.

then got out my narly paint and brushed it on over the fresh steel.

IMG_20110617_190415.jpg

IMG_20110617_190424.jpg

quarter panel is about ready to go on the car....then metal work is basically over and I can move on to finish body work!

sweet.... its gotta feel good to almost be done with the metal work.. I cant wait to see the qaurter go on... you definitely have mad skills... looking good my friend..

I don't know about mad skills lol....but I try to do good work with what I have available.

right now my tank of 75%/25% is running low and I am hoping I have enough to finish up because I don't have a way to transport the tank right now or the spare funds to have it refilled.

late start today but I may head out to the garage and see what I can get accomplished.

and yes...when the metal work is done it will be a relief and I can put my focus elsewhere.

Dont sell yourself short my friend.. looks like mad skills to me!! lol

Hey Jerrod,
What are your plans for tires and overall look, are you gonna mini tub it or just a tire big enough to fit under it stock? If you have said already I apologize for being lazy and not going back to find out lol plus my old age I can't remember reading that. Love the updates and yes you have MAD SKILLS buddy. Keep up the hard work.
Brad

Hey Jerrod,
What are your plans for tires and overall look, are you gonna mini tub it or just a tire big enough to fit under it stock? If you have said already I apologize for being lazy and not going back to find out lol plus my old age I can't remember reading that. Love the updates and yes you have MAD SKILLS buddy. Keep up the hard work.
Brad

Thanks Brad and Thanks Bill and everyone else who checks in on my thread on a regular basis....you guys help to keep me motivated enough to get stuff done.

as for tires.

I am going to run what I already have on the duster (size wise) which If I remember correctly off hand is 275/60/15's out back and in front I cant remember the exact size but I know they are much skinnier...and the fronts have 14" wheels so it gives it a nice staggered look that i personally like..

no mini tub or anything.

the previous owner relocated the leaf springs 3" inward on both sides ....which allows for a large width tire.

I MAY one day switch up to a different style of wheel but I really like my rallys so I don't know. plus my rears have a nice deep dish on them too.

I think I will probably get a set of mopar beauty rings for the wheels and a couple new rear tires (these ones are a little bald) and ill be fine with that.

here are some old pictures I had so you can see

Attachments

• DSCI1119.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 701
  • DSCI1107.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 707
Yea, I understand what you mean about the people that check out your build and comment on it help motivate ya.. I feel very much the same. I have lots of visits, but not too many comments (I dont know if that's a good or bad thing lol). But trust me dude, you do great work and I enjoy following your build. And i appreciate all your input on my build as well. Someday I hope we get to meet up and cruise the Duster and Dart side by side.

Thanks for the update Jerrod Dusters nothing like them you get to stick bigger meats under there than I do. Love the rally's you have I too I like that look. Great job so far, and SpeedracerX the Buggy looks Awesome!!!! I will submit to your build tomorrow or Monday for sure.
Brad

Yea, I understand what you mean about the people that check out your build and comment on it help motivate ya.. I feel very much the same. I have lots of visits, but not too many comments (I dont know if that's a good or bad thing lol). But trust me dude, you do great work and I enjoy following your build. And i appreciate all your input on my build as well. Someday I hope we get to meet up and cruise the Duster and Dart side by side.

Like wise....would be awesome to meet up and go cruising.

and yup....not sure exactly what it is but when people start commenting on my build and give me a little boost of encouragement ....sometimes it helps me get up and head out to the garage and get stuff done on the days I just feel like its going to take forever.

I checked your thread earlier and see you are making AWESOME progress! man....I would love to be in the primer stage right now lol. keep up the good work....I cant wait to see yours finished.

sorry for not updating earlier.....been busy.

anyhow, had my wife come out and hold part of the quarter panel while I held the other end....all the while pushing my knee into the bottom of the panel,multiple magnets placed in areas,vise grips in other areas,and keeping wedged in the gap the cut off discs that I used to originally cut the panels....as spacers to maintain my gap......all the while making tack welds to hold it in place lol.....not enough hands lol.

but I got er done!

quarter panels is welded in place , now I just need to grind the weld down, make a couple plug welds in the wheel well and along the bottom where the trunk extension meets and my metal work is FINALLY basically done!.

just after the first tack welds to hold it in place
IMG_20110618_162112.jpg

few spot welds in
IMG_20110618_183743.jpg

few more (moving around from place to place on the welding of course to avoid heat build up....and spraying down with air after each weld)
IMG_20110618_193505-1.jpg

and even more
IMG_20110618_195603.jpg

all welded in place
IMG_20110618_205644.jpg

put a little primer on it so it won't flash rust on the metal .....until i get around to grinding the weld down anyhow.
IMG_20110618_205839.jpg

IMG_20110618_205851.jpg

nice and straight with no warping is what I like to see!
IMG_20110618_205942.jpg

Oh and i finished seam sealing off the rest of the trunk floor while I was at it.....sorry if it is hard to see, it was getting dark out when I took the picture.
IMG_20110618_214713.jpg

Man that quarter looks sweeeet!! Thats gotta make ya feel good to have that in place

Thanks for the update Jerrod Dusters nothing like them you get to stick bigger meats under there than I do. Love the rally's you have I too I like that look. Great job so far, and SpeedracerX the Buggy looks Awesome!!!! I will submit to your build tomorrow or Monday for sure.
Brad

Thanks Brad.. I appreciate that

finished welding in the quarter today (plug welds and the back of the panel where it meets the tail panel).

I got all the welds ground down.

unfortunately this panel ended up with a little bit of warping in it.( luckily horizontal with the weld seam....it just puckered a little in a couple spots.....not vertical waves or anything like that) nothing TOO serious though.

I did some hammer and dolly work on it today and got alot of it out....but its getting to late to be pounding on things so I will mess with it more tomorrow.

once I get it close I will find any high spots and give them a little tippy tap,then come through with some duraglass on my seam,then smooth it down and come back over it all with filler.

I just keep telling my self the metal work will be over soon LOL

-
Back