727 no forward or reverse

-

69fishy

Reaction score
Just finished swapping in a 383 in my car. Got a "rebuilt" 727 at a swap in in Daytona at thanksgiving.

Got the motor broke in and running great. Put about 5-6 qt in prior to 1st fire. Checked level in neutral and got level up on dipstick. Tried to back the car out of the garage, had to rev the motor to get the car to go. Put a little more fluid in and started to move more freely.

Went for a drive up the street had to rev motor in drive to get going. Motor would rev and slowly rol and Then take off quickly

Did this same test over two days. Tonight I go into the garage and warm the car up. Go to test adjustment. I take tension off and on the kickdiwn cable.

Now the car will not engage any gear. Have about 1/4" mile on the trans.

Any thoughts? Or suggestions?

Have not pulled the pan. Would dirty filter cause this? When I shift gears I can not fill the trans engage.

Pretty sure I got it all the way in. It click a couple of time and felt like it seated. I had not problems bolting up to the flex plate.

Have not pulled the pan. Would dirty filter cause this? When I shift gears I can not fill the trans engage.
I would say if you took it for a ride and it was slipping I would pull the pan to see if you have excessive amounts of clutch material. If so you know to start unbolting the trans, first and reverse use the same band as well.

Also I would say you probably have the tc in, I have heard suggestions like that before but you would have a hard time bolting up the trans with the tc sticking out over the pump gear, then it would usually bind up. If you are able to spin it when the trans housing Is bolted to the engine chances are you're good.

Either the rebuilder screwed it up or someone cleaned up a roached trans and sold it to you as a rebuilt. Pull the pan and see what it looks like.

Pulled the pan. Looks pretty rough.

image.jpg

Mercy gracious, them're sizeable hunks.
My condolences.
Let us know what you find out.

That looks like converter chunks.
Was it a used converter or a new one that was put in?

Converter was rebuild as well and still in the box from the shop. I am planning on draining the converter today to see what the fuild looks like.

I did find the rear band adjuster was set real lose. Had a lot of play in it.

Drained the TC today fluid was clean. No metal coming out.

Any other checks? Is ther away to clean the valve body with it installed in the car?

Tempted to put a new filter on and try is again.

You would waste your time and money trying a new filter and fluid. There's something major wrong or all that crap wouldn't be in the pan. I've been rebuilding them for 35 yrs and that's among the worse looking pans I've seen

-
Back