727: Park or low gear (1st) madness!

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I have a slapstick installed. I recently had a shop fix all the bushings in the shifter. Both of us came up with the same issue. Either you have a good park lock, and no low gear in manual mode or get low gear, and it won't hold in park.

I tried adjusting it at home but got the results above. The shop said it was fixed but the car started to roll on me the same day. This setup was in the car already so I think it might be a wrong transmission lever issue.

Any thoughts please. It's driving me nuts.

Sounds like either something is still worn and sloppy or you could possibly have the wrong lever. Most all the factory levers are the same though I think. Maybe you have an aftermarket shifter lever? I don't know but it sounds like either the lever is too long or there is still too much slop in the linkage.

if cable shift...Check the cable, make sure the sleeve isn't split and cable is slipping out on park shifts. Mine did that and liked to drive me nuts. Trans I have now needs the bushing in lever, so I am in the same boat again tho... LOL

.....Yes, if u have the straight lever,i've did that a few times.,.... or do u have a 904 angled lever, then thats ur problem.........kim.........

The shop said we DID have a 904 lever on it (from previous owner). The shop did replace it. I'm beginning to wonder if the bolt is stripped on the adjuster and not allowing us to tighten the rod enough. Running out of ideas.:scratch:

The lever is round on 2 ends and flat on 2 sides where it slides over the shaft. All the bolt does is hold it on. Try unhooking the cable on the shift shaft and put the trans in first and the shifter in first, check the alignment and adjust the cable accordingly to there, see if that helps. It should slip on with no rearward pressure. If you have to somewhat force it on then adjust the cable some more.

Badsport, good advice I did do that. The PO had the shifter button too tight not allowing the shifter to go into the detent for 1st. I fixed that before it went into the shop.

Thanks for the replies!

Okay, I took the console out today. It looks like that shop removed a part off the shifter. There is a spot for two screws. I remember a backing plate being there, it ran parallel to the shifter gate. Now I need to find out where it is, and what it did. F*ck..

Looking for an exploded view of the shifter, but found this thread that might help others. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=14041.0

Hope these are of some help to you.

Attachments

• 8 cyl kickdown.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 129
  • A%20Body%20Floor%20Gearshift%20Control%20Automatic%20%281%29.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 90
  • A%20Body%20Floor%20Gearshift%20Control%20Automatic%20%282%29.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 99
Thanks longarm. That's the ticket!

It's difficult when you don't know what the PO has done.

We'll get it thanks to you guys!

-
Back