727 to a518 swap

-

carcrazyken

Reaction score
I HAVE A 1972 340 DEMON WITH A CAST CRANK. I want to put a 1995 a518 tranny in it. This is a torque converter lock up model. Does anyone know what, if any, torque converter will work with this combo. Thanks Ken

any lockup 727 converter will work, unless you change out the front pump and front shaft and convert it to non lockup unit.

Get the B&M weighted flexplate for the cast crank 340 and be done....

Gopnh.com has the converters for this application. High quality, inexpensive OEM high stall would be the cats meow. Enjoy the hard work, lol.

sO I SHOULD GET A WEIGHTED FLEX PLATE AND A NEUTRAL BALANCE TORQUE CONVERTER? Sorry for all the questions but for once I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks Ken

sO I SHOULD GET A WEIGHTED FLEX PLATE AND A NEUTRAL BALANCE TORQUE CONVERTER? Sorry for all the questions but for once I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks Ken

Yes. Older versions of the Flex Plate have weights. The newer ones have a 1/4 moon cut out on them.

Chrysler Standard SFI Flexplate - ‘71-’76 Chrysler 340 w/TF727 APPLICATION: ‘71-’76 Chrysler 340 w/TF727 SFI spec 29.1 approved, NHRA & IHRA legal for all classes. SFI certification sti... more details »
Additional Details

Part Number: 10235
Price: $80.57

I'd go with the B&M plate. Inexpensive and quick.
This leaves the torque converter. You'll still need a lock up unit. Get it in the stall you need. Once that is done, your good to go.

-
Back