**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
Yeah I called him on Friday and he wasn't there. My trick this time was I let the phone ring at least 25 times, put my cell phone on speaker and started working on something else…...and he finally picked up….. His parts are the chizzle but he is hard to get ahold of sometimes for sure.

I love my transbrake valve body from him, but after my experience, not sure I want to deal with the hassle...and Louis, I let that thing ring! damn, if I was him I would be soo damn annoyed with how much it rang that i'd just pick the bloody thing up! lol

at least your getting your parts though

I got the RMS Strut Rods installed tonight……….

Driveshaft and some other stuff is supposed to be here tomorrow….. I ordered so much stuff I can't remember. I do know when it all arrives it will take some time to get it all put together.

I am going to install the RMS Tubular A Arms tomorrow most likely. I see that guys take the tension off of the torsion bars………. Why can't I just stick a floor jack under the LCA at the lower ball joint and just jack it up and then remove/replace the control arm with the new one?…… I figure that would be the fastest way to get it done.??

Driveshaft is here along with the 3 Step.

I took my lunch break and installed the slip yoke….. Damn that was a PITA.

It is ready to go with Spicer Solid U Joints… No JERK Fitting. I put another coat of paint on it and installed a couple Mopar Stickers.

View attachment IMG_5808.jpg

Nice hardware,Louis. Run nothing but Spicer & Lakewood anymore. Lost a drive shaft once,never again.

Nice hardware,Louis. Run nothing but Spicer & Lakewood anymore. Lost a drive shaft once,never again.

You know what is weird….. I have a set of Precision/Moog Part #245 Solid U joints that I just got before I ordered this shaft. I compared them to the spicer's side by side and I can not tell a difference in them. Except the spicer's say spicer on them.

That has come up recently... My ex engine builder is doing a Chevy Rat 4 x4. He did diffs front and back,and new u joints. He picked up the Precision solids. They say Made in USA now,witch I don't recall in the past.(sell retail parts,for a living).And you're right,they did look close.

Got almost all the wiring done for the T Brake, Line Lock, future remote bottle opener, Wide Band O2 Sensor etc. I was going to mount the O2 Sensor in the glove box but decided against it. I don't want to drive around with the glove box door open.

View attachment Scamp Wiring.jpg

View attachment IMG_5812.jpg

View attachment phplGd2t9AM.jpg

View attachment phpqiO2XKAM.jpg

View attachment IMG_5810.jpg

View attachment phpcWfFiNAM.jpg

Transbrake button mounted in front of seat out of view.

View attachment IMG_5793.jpg

View attachment IMG_5794.jpg

I am plumbing the Line Lock into the back brakes. This way when I flip the Line Lock Switch it locks out fluid to the rear brakes and I can PUMP the front brakes up, keeping my left foot on the brake pedal while I do the burn out…… This way it will actually hold the car there so it does not move. So many have issues with the Line Lock actually holding the car when plumbed into the front brakes. This fixes this problem. Stick shift guys…….. Your on your own! Lol

on those interior shots.... you got a nice lookin car dude

nice rear, what springs are you putting in?

Thanks! Yeah the joke is I bought a paint job and interior. Everything else needed to be rebuilt or replaced. The Paint job is top notch. The interior has a few blips in it but will be fixed when the Cage goes in, those parts get here on Wednesday this week. otherwise it is very clean.

The car has an 8 3/4 in it now with a full Caltrac Set up. I was going to go Ladder Bar but decided against it for now. Caltracs are going back on.

I am plumbing the Line Lock into the back brakes. This way when I flip the Line Lock Switch it locks out fluid to the rear brakes and I can PUMP the front brakes up, keeping my left foot on the brake pedal while I do the burn out…… This way it will actually hold the car there so it does not move. So many have issues with the Line Lock actually holding the car when plumbed into the front brakes. This fixes this problem. Stick shift guys…….. Your on your own! Lol

This is exactly the way my line lock works. People think it's a$$ backwards for some reason. In a way I like it because I can apply as much brake pressure as I want. For instance if I wanted to do a standing burnout, I'll be hard on the brake pedal.. Or maybe I want to allow the car to creep forward and do a slow moving burnout, just apply lighter pressure. Glad to see someone else doing it this way. I don't feel as crazy now!

Louis, slightly off topic from where you are in the build thread, but I would like your opinion, especially since I figure you have talked to some people about it.

Are you planning to spray the stroker with the 904 still in behind everything?

I am having a bit of a dilemna right now as to whether or not I should keep my 904 behind my 408 that will see up to a 175 hit of spray, or if I should go 727?

I am bolting on a set of 360-2 indy heads and swapping in a crower solid roller...The 904 didn't skip a beat this past year on motor with the RHS heads or on spray, but I am worried now that if I spray it on top of the power it should be making on motor that things might be a little iffy...my car is heavy too, at just under 3500lbs once the aluminum heads get installed.

What's your opinion?

Louis, slightly off topic from where you are in the build thread, but I would like your opinion, especially since I figure you have talked to some people about it.

Are you planning to spray the stroker with the 904 still in behind everything?

I am having a bit of a dilemna right now as to whether or not I should keep my 904 behind my 408 that will see up to a 175 hit of spray, or if I should go 727?

I am bolting on a set of 360-2 indy heads and swapping in a crower solid roller...The 904 didn't skip a beat this past year on motor with the RHS heads or on spray, but I am worried now that if I spray it on top of the power it should be making on motor that things might be a little iffy...my car is heavy too, at just under 3500lbs once the aluminum heads get installed.

What's your opinion?

Well I have heard that the 904 is not the best candidate to hold big power……but as you know there are a lot of people that talk but actually have no experience so I guess we can take it as a grain of salt….Lol I wonder what really breaks on the 904? The input shaft? Most of the abuse will be out of the hole on the T Brake I am assuming. Do you also NOS Launch it? All that will come into play.

I am more worried about my Rear end breaking and that is why the 9" is getting built now cause it will replace the 8 3/4 when it does.

As far as my trans goes…… If it does not hold up, I have a SB 727 in the corner that is already built and ready to go that I can swap in. It has all the good stuff, billet front drum, Reds, Steels, HD bands, Bolt in sprague etc and a T Brake Valve Body with low band apply. I bought that trans from Joe at Tranzact about 2 years ago or so. It is on a stand if need be. Only thing is I would need a Converter and another drive shaft.

So in my case I am going to Spray it until it goes or blows! Lol

This is exactly the way my line lock works. People think it's a$$ backwards for some reason. In a way I like it because I can apply as much brake pressure as I want. For instance if I wanted to do a standing burnout, I'll be hard on the brake pedal.. Or maybe I want to allow the car to creep forward and do a slow moving burnout, just apply lighter pressure. Glad to see someone else doing it this way. I don't feel as crazy now!

I hear you. The first time I heard of someone doing this it took me awhile to wrap my head around it. Then after awhile the light came on. Lol

Well I have heard that the 904 is not the best candidate to hold big power……but as you know there are a lot of people that talk but actually have no experience so I guess we can take it as a grain of salt….Lol I wonder what really breaks on the 904? The input shaft? Most of the abuse will be out of the hole on the T Brake I am assuming. Do you also NOS Launch it? All that will come into play.

I am more worried about my Rear end breaking and that is why the 9" is getting built now cause it will replace the 8 3/4 when it does.

As far as my trans goes…… If it does not hold up, I have a SB 727 in the corner that is already built and ready to go that I can swap in. It has all the good stuff, billet front drum, Reds, Steels, HD bands, Bolt in sprague etc and a T Brake Valve Body with low band apply. I bought that trans from Joe at Tranzact about 2 years ago or so. It is on a stand if need be. Only thing is I would need a Converter and another drive shaft.

So in my case I am going to Spray it until it goes or blows! Lol

I have been told that if the 904 kicks the bucket, it will be in high gear, not on the launch. I have also heard that with higher power they require frequent freshen ups, new clutches, band adjustments, etc.

I do leave off a brake, and yes, I plan to spray right outta the hole (this year I did it at the 60' mark as I was playing with a bad track both times)

I can't decide what to do at this point, so I thought I would ask you your plans. I need to get a nitrous converter as my 8" 5500 stall is too loose for the spray, but I would rather spend the money once- as in I don't want to buy a converter for the 904 and then it craps out hard on me early in the season.

At this point though, I just don't have the cash to swap to a 727...I was hoping for some reassurance from you in my choice! LOL

I have been told that if the 904 kicks the bucket, it will be in high gear, not on the launch. I have also heard that with higher power they require frequent freshen ups, new clutches, band adjustments, etc.

I do leave off a brake, and yes, I plan to spray right outta the hole (this year I did it at the 60' mark as I was playing with a bad track both times)

I can't decide what to do at this point, so I thought I would ask you your plans. I need to get a nitrous converter as my 8" 5500 stall is too loose for the spray, but I would rather spend the money once- as in I don't want to buy a converter for the 904 and then it craps out hard on me early in the season.

At this point though, I just don't have the cash to swap to a 727...I was hoping for some reassurance from you in my choice! LOL

I was doing some more research and from what I have read the input shaft can be a victim at around 800HP, next is the 2-3 shift where you will see wear. I say run what you brung! lol There are lots of guys hammering on the 904, you don't really hear of any horror stories like you think you would.

Can a converter that was built for a 904 be sent in and have a new snout installed so it fits the 727? Bolt pattern etc is the same on the flex plate so I don't see why that could not be done on the cheap to help costs if you go to 727 later? Has anyone done this?

Wouldn't the splines in the 904 converter be different? meaning it would need new guts

I think

Rest of the stuff is here for the 9" set up. I need to get cracking on it.

I called Calvert Racing yesterday and asked them if they had something to make up the difference from the Mopar centering pin which is 1/2" and convert it to 5/8" Ford. He said sure do, asked me for my address and said they are mailing them to me free of charge. This is the second time they have sent stuff with no questions asked. Last time they even threw in a T Shirt! Xlnt Customer Service.

I have $200.00 Total into this swap so far. That includes the housing.

View attachment IMG_5830.jpg

I was doing some more research and from what I have read the input shaft can be a victim at around 800HP, next is the 2-3 shift where you will see wear. I say run what you brung! lol There are lots of guys hammering on the 904, you don't really hear of any horror stories like you think you would.

Can a converter that was built for a 904 be sent in and have a new snout installed so it fits the 727? Bolt pattern etc is the same on the flex plate so I don't see why that could not be done on the cheap to help costs if you go to 727 later? Has anyone done this?

Yea, I have heard 700hp and the shafts start twisting...this thing should make easy over 700hp on the spray. Oh, and yes, high gear or shifting to it is also what I heard about wear. You are right that you don't hear horror stories about them..

F$#% it, I already made up my mind...the wallet is tight...Im gonna guinea pig the ***** and order up a nitrous converter, see how much of a beating it all takes lol

Wouldn't the splines in the 904 converter be different? meaning it would need new guts

I think

I believe you are right...it's all good, gonna put my "big boy" aka don't be afraid to blow **** up pants on and see what happens...Hopefully the 904 lives to tell the tale lol

Yea, I have heard 700hp and the shafts start twisting...this thing should make easy over 700hp on the spray. Oh, and yes, high gear or shifting to it is also what I heard about wear. You are right that you don't hear horror stories about them..

F$#% it, I already made up my mind...the wallet is tight...Im gonna guinea pig the ***** and order up a nitrous converter, see how much of a beating it all takes lol

I believe you are right...it's all good, gonna put my "big boy" aka don't be afraid to blow **** up pants on and see what happens...Hopefully the 904 lives to tell the tale lol

There you go! That is some funny chit! Lol , I will be doing the same. Going to work up to a total of 300 hit of Juice is the plan.

There you go! That is some funny chit! Lol , I will be doing the same. Going to work up to a total of 300 hit of Juice is the plan.

lol we can compare results...hopefully both of us come out on top :-D

-
Back