**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
Fixed Belts are on the way. Glass guy came and popped out the windshield. I spent some time on the chop saw and cut up the rest of the Roll Bar mounting plates while I waited for him to show up. Saturday is quickly approaching.

Right at 18 1/2 items left to get done on my punch list. Almost half way!

View attachment IMG_5940.jpg

View attachment phpgbf7MWPM.jpg

Notice here the bolt left loose…… Typical everywhere on this car from the last HACK that worked on it.

View attachment phpD9uzf1PM.jpg

Got a little more done today. I got 2 more trunk plates to get tacked in. I have all the measurements so it will be a piece of cake. Just gotta wire wheel down to raw metal so I can buzzzzzz them in.

Car has the usual surface rust in the floor pans. SOS pad will clean them right up and I will seal and spray them with a rattle can.

I forgot to mention the cage will be a 14pt when all done & Certed to 8.50. It is Chromoly and will be all Tig Welded.

View attachment phpN16J9DPM.jpg

View attachment phpgzo2u8PM.jpg

View attachment phpcKAoa6PM.jpg

View attachment phpc93yVjPM.jpg

View attachment phpkAl8joPM.jpg

View attachment phpRB6RTKPM.jpg

You put the trans brake button on the seat!!?? I can see being sneaky and all for street races but aren't the bars gonna give your game away?

I kinda did a short cut and bot a race ready "street car" that already has a Nitro brake from Transact in the 727. Already has a 9" (MW) with 4 link. Took off the chute and wheelie bars and will hopefully have the 71 Demon at the track this Sunday if WX permits and I get all the fix-it parts in time.

That Scamp will be more badazz for sure.

You put the trans brake button on the seat!!?? I can see being sneaky and all for street races but aren't the bars gonna give your game away?

I kinda did a short cut and bot a race ready "street car" that already has a Nitro brake from Transact in the 727. Already has a 9" (MW) with 4 link. Took off the chute and wheelie bars and will hopefully have the 71 Demon at the track this Sunday if WX permits and I get all the fix-it parts in time.

Yeah it most likely will but I figure if I wrap it around a telephone pole I have a good chance of survival! Lol

The correct 5pt harnesses arrived today, that was lightening fast. I also ordered a new gasket for the windshield. The goal is to have the window back in next week if at all possible.

That car has the Big Block in it?

:cya:: Taillights,anyone?.... Damn.

That is the plan…… Go or Blow. I am seriously going to find the limit of a Stock Block with NOS for real. I will creep up on it but it will soon be full tilt boogie set On Kill! I am hoping that a Vacuum Pump will help it when we get there.
I don't see hardly anyone using a Vac Pump on this site with a SBM.

That car has the Big Block in it?

Uh, yeah, it kinda does. Has a little history too. Has been 8.0 at 175 on the dual nawz system, that is when the driver doesn't blow the thing up staging.

It's the green Demon on this cover and currently has the same engine, freshened up. Still has the 2 stage juice (plate and fogger).

http://www.moparaction.com/Next/history/feb1997.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5708501

The fools at the county gave me a tag :D and I have driven it around the house some with the 13.5 M/T Street ETs . It gets a little warm unless going 45+ as the radiator is kinda small for the street with the filled KB alum block.

I will be taking out the 499 and putting in my new 540, with a new bigger radiator and a set of step Pro Parts headers from Mancini (with only a 3" X pipe and mufflers like my SB has). Will probably go down to 275 DRs on 10" wheels. Street car.

I took off the chute and wheelie bars, for now. And yeah, the chrome moly cage does make me feel a tad safer but crawling over the door X bars is kinda a pain. They are really nice but probably only good for a 8.5 cert nowadays.

8034533-streetDemon.jpg

Louis, did you ever change out that valve spring I thought was rusty from that pic you posted on your turbo build thread?

Uh, yeah, it kinda does. Has a little history too. Has been 8.0 at 175 on the dual nawz system, that is when the driver doesn't blow the thing up staging.

It's the green Demon on this cover and currently has the same engine, freshened up. Still has the 2 stage juice (plate and fogger).

http://www.moparaction.com/Next/history/feb1997.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5708501

The fools at the county gave me a tag :D and I have driven it around the house some with the 13.5 M/T Street ETs . It gets a little warm unless going 45+ as the radiator is kinda small for the street with the filled KB alum block.

I will be taking out the 499 and putting in my new 540, with a new bigger radiator and a set of step Pro Parts headers from Mancini (with only a 3" X pipe and mufflers like my SB has). Will probably go down to 275 DRs on 10" wheels. Street car.

I took off the chute and wheelie bars, for now. And yeah, the chrome moly cage does make me feel a tad safer but crawling over the door X bars is kinda a pain. They are really nice but probably only good for a 8.5 cert nowadays.

8034533-streetDemon.jpg

Louis, did you ever change out that valve spring I thought was rusty from that pic you posted on your turbo build thread?

Sweet car! Aluminum block and all. I would drive the **** out of that car on the street! ~

No there is no rust on the valve springs….. You was a trippinnnnnn! Lol :burnout:

I got a little more done…… as far as cage attachment points I just need to cut the floor pan so I can add a diagonal brace from the Sub Frame Connectors to the main hoop, It is all marked and ready to be cut but I ran out of time this morning….. The spread on the rear bars into the trunk are 35 3/8 Center to Center. I put them as wide as I could and they are center of the frame rails. I had to cut the rear package tray a bit but it will be nice and tight when it is said and done.

Gotta go to work, $$!

View attachment phpeTeAPRAM.jpg

View attachment phpjPlF2EAM.jpg

View attachment phpB7w8fPAM.jpg

View attachment phpIlGIbWAM.jpg

View attachment phphQurrMAM.jpg

View attachment phps7ZmLuAM.jpg

I got all of the plates and mounting points welded off and cut the notches above the Sub Frame Connectors for the kicker bars that come off the main cage hoop.

Tomorrow I will be stringing tape lines across the windshield cowl area, dash and dash pad before I pull it all apart so I have solid measurement points when cutting the dash bars around the A Pillars and dash pad after the A Pillars go in.

16 Items Left

Got less than I wanted to get done today. My Wife took my youngest Daughter to a Dance Competition this weekend. I get a call on Friday afternoon…. SOMEBODY JUST STOLE MY WALLET…. Crying , yada, yada. She was in a grocery store to stock up the hotel room with food and stopped off at the inside coffee shop to get a coffee….. After she got the Coffee right next to the counter was something she wanted, my daughter and her looked at the item….. WALKING AWAY from her purse in the basket for a few seconds. That was all it took Wallet is GONE… She now has NO $$, Debit or Credit Cards, NO Id to even check into the room….. I had to got to the Credit Union, get new cards and Drive 100 Miles in the Rain. It took me 8 Hours to get her back on track. They got the a Lady on Video taking it and when my wife was talking to Capital One to cancel the card they told her your card is being used at Target for 5K then 2K then $500.00 of Gift Cards. Luckily they stopped the transactions. What a pain in the ***……….. I do however blame this one on my wife even though a THEIF stole from her. She left herself WIDE open for it and I have been telling her for years not to do crap like that…… Urghhhhhh

Anyway's I was supposed to take the dash out last night and could not get to it because of this issue.

Here is what we got done today. We ran into a few issues. The main hoop was not bent correct and it was throwing off the Halo big time. It took quite some time to get it right. It is Dead Nuts now and all the lines are Perfect and the same throughout the whole car. I am well pleased! Lol

View attachment phpB29v1TPM.jpg

View attachment phpZHDmhlPM.jpg

View attachment phpAOorMVPM.jpg

View attachment phpVxKHBKPM.jpg

View attachment phpT4zhXtPM.jpg

View attachment phpwnoF1NPM.jpg

View attachment phpYX48VrPM.jpg

View attachment phpdRMyQaPM.jpg

View attachment phpSKJguePM.jpg

View attachment phpaJj0mjPM.jpg

Messed around with the car a bit more today. Got a few more items off the list. The list was 36 items long when I started about 1 week ago.……..

02 Sensor bungs installed in the Collector Extensions and I cut them to 10", the wide band was installed and brought through the floor and got it wrapped incase of heat. It will reach both sides of the exhaust. I like to use zip ties on the wrap where I can because it will show the signed of overheating if they start to melt. "That is Clear Caulking if you are wondering. It dries Clear. The Line Lock is mounted…. It will cut fluid to the "REAR" brakes so it will actually stop the car. Pump up the front brakes with your foot, burn out…. Done! I just need to cut into the brake line is all. I have all the fittings and a 25 Foot roll of brake line for that task.

Only 8 Items Left……

View attachment phphIKECSPM.jpg

View attachment phpHN7i0zPM.jpg

View attachment phplcPJasPM.jpg

View attachment phpcgFxeBPM.jpg

View attachment phpOMPavuPM.jpg

View attachment phpINDUGDPM.jpg

View attachment php0B3hGIPM.jpg

Hey Mad Dart, if you wanna tour of a real hackjob, I could show ya my truck. :toothy10: PO did me absolutely 0 favors

Looks great Louis. Are the O2 sensors for dialing in the nitrous?

Used for both. I'll gets base tune numbers dialed in N/A with no NOS. Then I will use it also to dial in the NOS tune up. This would most likely be where Fuel pressure on the stand alone fuel system should make it fairly easy to do as long as the Non NOS tune is good.

Anymore Updates? I'm getting itchy for some pics...with-drawl you know? :) :D Looking great can't wait for video's....oh and more pics. LOL

Anymore Updates? I'm getting itchy for some pics...with-drawl you know? :) :D Looking great can't wait for video's....oh and more pics. LOL

I have worked on the car only a little bit. Life is pulling me as usual.

I got the rear removable bar behind the seat in place and I spent at least 2 hours marking the dash for surgery and it is also marked where the A Pilliar will mate with the Halo…. Measure 20 Times cut once! I thought the seat belts were too small but after I sat in the seat and put them on….. They are fine! I hope to have some free time this weekend so I can get the rest of the cage done.

-
Back