747 Crash in Afghanistan Yesterday - Video!

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfVsql38oc"]Bagram airfield crash 29 apr 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

A Boeing 747-400BCF cargo plane, operated by National Air Cargo, crashed on takeoff from Bagram Air Base (BPM), Afghanistan. A base spokesman said the aircraft crashed from a low altitude right after takeoff. A fire erupted. An air base official reported that all seven crew members were killed in the accident.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130429-0

Talking to a couple other pilots and the preliminary thinking seems to be that the cargo shifted into the tail causing the nose to point straight up and stall the aircraft.

Definitely stalled. Looks like it was struggling to gain altitude. Sad for the families of the crew.

Geezuz. Hard workin' people died there. Let's not forget that.

Word around Wright-Patt is that, indeed, the cargo shifted aft causing an extreme nose up attitude causing the stall. 747s are some powerful *** planes, but damn

Cargo shift also brought down a cargo plane at the old Mather Air Force Base, here in my city, a couple of years ago.
Bad things happen, sad to say.

Something appears to have gone seriously WRONG within that aircraft and/or it's departure. I've spent well over a year of my life flying out of that airfield, and have literally hundreds of take-offs and landings there. Aside from the somewhat high (4600 MSL) field altitude, and occasionally being the busiest single runway airfield in the world, its fairly mundane.

It's a little hard for me to watch something like this, and to some extent I wish people wouldn't rush to publish this stuff. Yes, a cargo shift may have been a factor, but the weather was bad that day (not really evident in vid). What you see is a classic stall close to the ground with insufficient space to recover. I really don't like to speculate, but a slow speed pitch up in response to a micro-burst, combined with a significant CG shift due to a moving load could cause such a stall. I wasn't there, and we may never know for sure.

Perhaps it's best to just raise a toast to the hard working crew members who gave it all that day, and not try to second guess a bad situation from half a world away.

I Pray for the family's for strength in the days to come.

Darryl

It's a little hard for me to watch something like this, and to some extent I wish people wouldn't rush to publish this stuff.

Perhaps it's best to just raise a toast to the hard working crew members who gave it all that day, and not try to second guess a bad situation from half a world away.

I totally agree Chief, prayers sent to all crew members and their families.

Mind blowing,and surrealism strikes. Damn. Prayers, to families, all involved. Damn.

Something appears to have gone seriously WRONG within that aircraft and/or it's departure. I've spent well over a year of my life flying out of that airfield, and have literally hundreds of take-offs and landings there. Aside from the somewhat high (4600 MSL) field altitude, and occasionally being the busiest single runway airfield in the world, its fairly mundane.

It's a little hard for me to watch something like this, and to some extent I wish people wouldn't rush to publish this stuff. Yes, a cargo shift may have been a factor, but the weather was bad that day (not really evident in vid). What you see is a classic stall close to the ground with insufficient space to recover. I really don't like to speculate, but a slow speed pitch up in response to a micro-burst, combined with a significant CG shift due to a moving load could cause such a stall. I wasn't there, and we may never know for sure.

Agree and thanks for your service

Agree and thanks for your service

X's 2! I think chief nailed it in his post. It could have been darn near anything if not a couple of things. Watching the plane go nose up struck a cord of horror in my heart only hoping it was a staged test.

A spectacular sight it is.

Yep they were saying the cargo broke loose and shifted aft on takeoff. This threw the aircraft center of gravity too far forward, and stalled the wings out.

Very sad, nothing the pilots could do to save it that close to the ground. My heart goes out to their families.

Machines can be very unforgiving.

-
Back