-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
Stock motor
Has low rise air gap 4bbl intake
Has 750 cfm edle on it
Runs well but Biggs down a lot if you stomp it

idles at 1000 rpm

Seems over carbed / over gassed . I’m generally believe motor can only pull what it can pull as far as cfm but the jets or mixture may be way to rich .

any information on what this thing would run better with ? And what rpms should idle at ?seen a bunch of different answers on this forum . Usually with stock exhaust manifold.

Let’s start by you telling us what jets and metering rods the carb has now. I’ve worked 750’s on a few 360s but a 600 would be much better suited to a basically stock 360 for all around drivability

Let’s start by you telling us what jets and metering rods the carb has now. I’ve worked 750’s on a few 360s but a 600 would be much better suited to a basically stock 360 for all around drivability
How can I tell what carb is other that what guy is telling me ?

I got it today lol I have no idea

Need to know your timing specs first. Do you know if the cam is stock or aftermarket?

Need to know your timing specs first. Do you know if the cam is stock or aftermarket?
I’m guessing stock but I don’t know I bought a dart and drove it home . Noticed bogs badly. If I slowly get into it it’s great . But really I don’t even know it’s a 360 until I ca. Get under it .

Take your time and figure what you have. I'd do a compression test first. Then check out the tune up parts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. to make sure that's all good. A vacuum gauge reading would be next. At that point you need to put a timing light on it to see where your initial timing is. Not knowing your combo, it could need anywhere from 12 to 20 degrees. you need to get that straight before you start tuning on the carb.

accelerator pump (within carb) could easily cause a bog.

45A7CBD5-83AA-42B0-8571-2EA15D0F8B91.png

edlebrock carbs have a part number in the lower left front corner. That will tell you what it is. The 750 is particularly known for its off idle bog that can’t be tuned out. It’s a booster problem if I remember correctly. Do a google search for it and you’ll be bombarded with info.

So it’s 1099 1407 - 750 but I don’t see what those first numbers are . It’s way over kill for what seems to be a stock 360 la .

You need to go through it and record what you have. Jets, metering rods and so on. Then get back with us.

This is back to basics. Timing first, easily checked but somehow I do not think this is the problem.

When you stomp it & it bogs, it usually means it is lean...not enough fuel...but not always.
Remove the carb top & check float level, should be 7/16". No gaskets needed if you are careful. Check for dirt, passages clear & that sec velocity [ air ] valve moves freely; check that throttle linkages moves freely. Check to see that choke flap does not move around at operating temp. Check that you are getting a squirt from the acc pump. Check jet sizes.
If there is can open carb spacer under the carb, get rid of it.

1976 motors could be the lean burn type. Check the mechanical advance of the distributor before setting the initial timing. Many of these motors had been converted back to standard ignition systems because of problems.

Im running a 1406 on my 79 360. I changed the step up springs to next ones stiffer,same ones in the 500. It still has to go on highway to test,dam snow keeps getting in the way.

Any idea of how many miles are on the engine? If all the suggestions above don't correct the problem and the engine has lots of miles on it I might be the slop in the timing chain. Of course you'd have to tear into the engine to replace the timing chain but it might be a last resort for you.

You need to go through it and record what you have. Jets, metering rods and so on. Then get back with us.

This is back to basics. Timing first, easily checked but somehow I do not think this is the problem.

When you stomp it & it bogs, it usually means it is lean...not enough fuel...but not always.
Remove the carb top & check float level, should be 7/16". No gaskets needed if you are careful. Check for dirt, passages clear & that sec velocity [ air ] valve moves freely; check that throttle linkages moves freely. Check to see that choke flap does not move around at operating temp. Check that you are getting a squirt from the acc pump. Check jet sizes.
If there is can open carb spacer under the carb, get rid of it.

This! ^^^^^^
Both of them. Do you have a tuning rod and jet kit?
Get one if you don’t.
What ignition is running the engine?
Install fresh spark plugs and drive around a little bit.
No secondary activation!
Take a picture and post it here so we can see if your lean or rich.

-
Back