8 3/4 seals rubbing on bearing retainers

-

barty005

Reaction score
hi pulled diff out yesterday nothing wrong with it just changing it to a sure grip.
while axles where out have noticed that the bearing retainers have been rubbing on the outer steal part of the seals. was reading a post earlier re paper and steel inner gaskets between the backing plate and axle thought this might have been the problem. but found some steel ones online they don't look any thicker. every thing appears to be pressed on correctly. trying to sort before diff is returned end of next week.
seals seam to be in as far as they can go measures just under 1.5 inchs.
Yukon axles green bearings
any thoughts ideas.??

Is the center spacer still in the center? There are 2 types of center spacers. the cone-type SG has a spacer that is captive on the cross-pin and cant fall out. But the clutch-type SG has a pair of pins that, although are pressed together at time of assembly, may come out with an axle.I had this happen to me. I found it in the tube. I suppose its possible for it to fall into the oil. Not sure if theres enough clearance for that to happen. In any case, you will need a powerful flashlite to see in there. Its a deep,dark, hole.
The gasket thickness fudging will only help the one side, because the adjuster, on the other will drive the axles towards the non adjuster side.So it will get better on the non-adjuster side, but worse on the adjuster side.
I guess the big question is; is the rubbing mark possibly from a previous install.

Green bearings, so no adjustment. It is quite common with the green bearings as I have found. BBM above has a point. Axle seals may not be bottomed in the housing. Measure the distance to the stop lip in the housing and the depth of the seal to see just how far in it can go. Also the green bearing are sealed and have a "O" ring on the outside to seal any fluid from passing by.A light coat of black rtv in the housing will help the seal of the "O" ring. I always put the factory seal in anyway. My neighbor's 4 cars only use the "O" ring and have no problems with leaks. Just a thought.

Also make sure the housing seal is properly seated deep enough.

Think you have it spoke to guys at Dr diff figured might as well phone and order new gasket for when i refit the new diff head he gave him the measurements and reakons they need to go in further.
So will try that see if they will go in further good excuse to go buy some seal drivers either way.
got some work tomorrow so will have to wait till Friday.

-
Back